New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is very clear throughout the Bible that you are saved by grave through faith. And if you disagree with that, you are essentially believing that Jesus work on the cross was NOT all atoning and that he alone was not worthy. But, what I cant wrap my head around is the notion of once saved always saved. It is clear that after you have received Christ, you are saved and as an act of obedience we are called to repent. Which repent can mean three different things 1. A great sorrow for an act you’ve done 2. A change of heart/mind 3. A turning away from. Personally I believe that all of these definitions apply to repenting from sin. How can a person who accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior, but, does not repent be saved? Or a person who was once repenting, is now not repenting? I have asked the Pastors at my church and there answer was “well, they were never saved”. Now that seems like an easy way out to keep the OSAS view. Ultimately in the end it is up to the Lord who is saved and who isnt. And ultimately Jesus work on the cross was all atoning. Its just hard for me to comprehend that a person who believes in Jesus but continues in sin without repentance or guilt could possibly be saved. In my mind that scenario is equal to this.
You are hired at a job because your friend knew the owner, now after being hired, you refuse to do any of the work that come with the job. Would you not be fired? Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. Love you all, blessing to you all in Yeshua’s name, amen.

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...believes in Jesus but continues in sin without repentance or guilt could possibly be saved. In my mind that scenario is equal to this.
You are hired at a job because your friend knew the owner, now after being hired, you refuse to do any of the work that come with the job. Would you not be fired? Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. Love you all, blessing to you all in Yeshua’s name, amen.

Probably that is why it is said that eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I use other scripture to address these arguments.

1. Gal. 6: 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Paul explains plainly that eternal life is the harvest in the future we do not want to “give up”, but that also teaches we can give it up.

Our doing good stuff while here on earth (or better: our allowing God to work through us doing good stuff) is not to “earn”, “payback” or to allow us to “hold on to our salvation”. We want to continue to utilize Godly type Love and not get caught up in carnal type love so the huge Love Feast of Heaven (unselfish type Love only) still has value to us and not something we would sell on the cheap.

As far as being saved by faith only without “works”, that is true, but just like the Prodigal son wimped out of taking the punishment he fully deserved and humbly returned to the Father, we must wimp out, give up surrender to our enemy God and that will allow God to shower us with His charity.

2. Eternal Life in heaven is spoken of as our inheritance and not something we actually have at the moment. All other Gifts of God we have right away, but heaven is truly ours as a birthright (our inheritance).

Part of the meaning to the concept of being given a gift is the fact that the ownership of the gift actually transfers to the receiver of the gift and as such the receiver of the gift can do what he/she wants to do with the gift.

The Hebrew writer in Heb. 12:16 See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son.

Esau own the “gift” of the first born inheritance rights, which could not be taken from him by anyone, nor could someone steal it from his hand, not even his father could take them back, but Esau could sell it or give it away.

The Hebrew writer is telling us not to give away or sell our birth right (as born again Christians) which is our inheritance of eternal life.

We own a paid up tax free deed to a home in heaven, so that home was gifted to us, but the Hebrew writer is saying we could sell (or give it away) like Esau did.

Again we are not doing or allowing the Holy Spirit to do good stuff through us to get anything (God has given us everything up front with the exception of dwelling in heaven right now, but we do have an undeserved birthright to heaven which cannot be lost like your keys, stolen from you, earned, paid back and even God will not take it from you, but you can of your own free will which you still have given it away (satan wants it).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is very clear throughout the Bible that you are saved by grave through faith. And if you disagree with that, you are essentially believing that Jesus work on the cross was NOT all atoning and that he alone was not worthy. But, what I cant wrap my head around is the notion of once saved always saved. It is clear that after you have received Christ, you are saved and as an act of obedience we are called to repent. Which repent can mean three different things 1. A great sorrow for an act you’ve done 2. A change of heart/mind 3. A turning away from. Personally I believe that all of these definitions apply to repenting from sin. How can a person who accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior, but, does not repent be saved? Or a person who was once repenting, is now not repenting? I have asked the Pastors at my church and there answer was “well, they were never saved”. Now that seems like an easy way out to keep the OSAS view. Ultimately in the end it is up to the Lord who is saved and who isnt. And ultimately Jesus work on the cross was all atoning. Its just hard for me to comprehend that a person who believes in Jesus but continues in sin without repentance or guilt could possibly be saved. In my mind that scenario is equal to this.

Receiving eternal life is not a job, the Bible states receiving eternal life is a gift and not only a gift but a free gift.
The Bible also states that believing Jesus is the promised Messiah form Old Testament prophecies and trust in The Messiah for His gift of His eternal life. Is how a person receives the water of eternal life,

I have never seen in the only book of the Bible (Gospel of John) who's stated purpose for being written is to tell people how to have life (eternal life{the only book of the Bible that says that}). State believing that Jesus is Lord and savior gives a person eternal life.

Or repenting, being baptized, or what other actions a person may add to the list of actions people apply to their gospel.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrew's
Hebrew's 6:4-6 says it is impossible for one who has known the Lord is good and falls away to come back to repentance. Once saved always saved is not a scripture

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Because the gift of salvation is conditional upon man repenting of his sins, (Luke 13:3).

If salvation were totally unconditional as OSAS claims it is, then one can sin (lie, cheat, steal, etc) as some do and remain impenitent of those sins yet still be saved.

Sam Morris, a Baptist preacher once wrote "We take the position that a Christian's sins do not damn his soul. The way a Christian lives, what he says, his character, his conduct, or his attitude toward other people have nothing whatever to do with the salvation of his soul... All the prayers a man may pray, all the Bibles he may read, all the churches he may belong to, all the services he may attend, all the sermons he may practice, all the debts he may pay, all the ordinances he may observe, all the laws he may keep, all the benevolent acts he may per-form will not make his soul one whit safer; and all the sins he may commit from idolatry to murder will not make his soul in any more danger... The way a man lives has nothing whatever to do with the salvation of his soul... The way I live has nothing whatsoever to do with the salvation of my soul" [Do a Christian’s Sins Damn His Soul?].

Another Baptist preacher, Bill Foster, once wrote "If I killed my wife and mother and debauched a thousand women, I couldn't go to hell -- in fact, I couldn't go to hell if I wanted to. If on the judgment day, I should find that my loved ones are lost and should lose all desire to be saved, and should beg God to send me to hell with them, He couldn't do it" (The Weekly Worker, March 12, 1959).

Charles Stanley has wrote "..believers who lose or abandon their faith will retain their salvation ...." (page 94) and "... a Christian who at no point in his entire life bore any eternal fruit. And yet his salvation is never jeopardized". (page 121)" Eternal Security: Can You be Sure? "

If OSAS were true where salvation is totally unconditional, then all the above statement would be true. Yet we know they cannot be true...."for the wages of sin is death".

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because the gift of salvation is conditional upon man repenting of his sins, (Luke 13:3).

If salvation were totally unconditional as OSAS claims it is, then one can sin (lie, cheat, steal, etc) as some do and remain impenitent of those sins yet still be saved.

Sam Morris, a Baptist preacher once wrote "We take the position that a Christian's sins do not damn his soul. The way a Christian lives, what he says, his character, his conduct, or his attitude toward other people have nothing whatever to do with the salvation of his soul... All the prayers a man may pray, all the Bibles he may read, all the churches he may belong to, all the services he may attend, all the sermons he may practice, all the debts he may pay, all the ordinances he may observe, all the laws he may keep, all the benevolent acts he may per-form will not make his soul one whit safer; and all the sins he may commit from idolatry to murder will not make his soul in any more danger... The way a man lives has nothing whatever to do with the salvation of his soul... The way I live has nothing whatsoever to do with the salvation of my soul" [Do a Christian’s Sins Damn His Soul?].

Another Baptist preacher, Bill Foster, once wrote "If I killed my wife and mother and debauched a thousand women, I couldn't go to hell -- in fact, I couldn't go to hell if I wanted to. If on the judgment day, I should find that my loved ones are lost and should lose all desire to be saved, and should beg God to send me to hell with them, He couldn't do it" (The Weekly Worker, March 12, 1959).

Charles Stanley has wrote "..believers who lose or abandon their faith will retain their salvation ...." (page 94) and "... a Christian who at no point in his entire life bore any eternal fruit. And yet his salvation is never jeopardized". (page 121)" Eternal Security: Can You be Sure? "

If OSAS were true where salvation is totally unconditional, then all the above statement would be true. Yet we know they cannot be true...."for the wages of sin is death".
Ya, all those quotes show the speakers have no respect or fear of the Lord.
A side note; God disciplines those he loves, so for all who claim they can do anything and still be saved, they had better hope God straightens them out, and throws them on their face, in this life, rather than waiting for the next, when it may be too late.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can a person who accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior, but, does not repent be saved? Or a person who was once repenting, is now not repenting? I have asked the Pastors at my church and there answer was “well, they were never saved”.
"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

Jesus in John chapter 6 says God draws a person to Jesus. And there is teaching included in the process, I understand. So, there is always the matter of if a person has really been prepared by our Father.

Plus Jesus told Paul that Paul would turn people "from the power of Satan to God", in Acts 26:18.

I understand that if a person has been drawn to Jesus and is "joined" to Jesus, the person has a more and more strong union with Jesus. But there will be correction > Hebrews 12:4-14.

And so the person's nature is changed so it is not the character of the person to totally forsake God.

Upvote 0