• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Repentance of the Nations

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Soyeong, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and this was a message that he prophesied would be proclaimed to the nations (Matthew 24:12-14, Mark 13:10) and that the message of repentance and remissions of sins would be proclaimed in his name to the nations starting in Jerusalem (Luke 24:47). So why do people from the nations who aren't under the New Covenant need to repent from doing what that covenant says is sin?

Alternatively, how would you explain the answer to an unbeliever if you were preaching the Gospel of repentance and remission of sins to them and they asked you: "Why do you need to repent from doing what the New Covenant says is sin while I am not under the New Covenant?"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Unqualified

Unqualified Well-Known Member Supporter

+355
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    They need to turn to God.

3. Soyeong

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    Why do they need to turn to God for salvation from committing sins in violation of a law that is part of a covenant that they aren't under?

4. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+2,248
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Not sure what your asking, but salvation is an individual thing, not a nation thing.

5. Soyeong

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    Yes, the Gospel goes out to the nations, but it is speaking of individuals who are from the nations. In other words, if you were preaching repentance and remissions of sins to an unbeliever, then how would you explain the answer if they were to ask you: "I'm not under the under the New Covenant, so why do I need to repent from doing what it says is sin?"

6. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+2,248
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sorry I'm still not getting it. I thought the New Covenant is with all those who aren't under the old Mosaic Law. Wouldn't this be everyone since Christ? If I'm missing the point completely, I apologize.

7. Soyeong

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    The New Covenant was made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel (Jeremiah 31:31), so it specifically was made with those who were under the Mosaic Law. I have never heard of someone considering unbelievers to be under the New Covenant.

8. Unqualified

+355
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    They need to become under it. Died once for all. If they want forgiveness and not he’ll. So they are under the law with no mercy, if they want mercy and not to be condemned.

9. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,513
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    the question you are asking is if a someone who is not saved wants to continue sinning are they obligated not to by a contract that only applies to those who are saved. The answer is obvious isnt it?

10. Soyeong

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    Asserting that they need to become under it is not explaining why they need to do that. Why do people need forgiveness for transgressing the laws of a covenant that they aren't under?

11. Soyeong

+3,766
    Messianic
    Single
    It not so much about whether or not an unbeliever wants to continue sinning as it is about understanding the issue of why they are obligated to repent from breaking the New Covenant when they aren't under the New Covenant. I'm not sure why your answer is, but it seems to me that if someone is obligated to obey God's law regardless of whether or not they are under the New Covenant, then God's covenants are not what obligates us to obey His law and that therefore there must be something other than God's covenants are obligate us to obey it.

12. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,513
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Are you familiar with the concept of natural law? Simply all men are made in the image of God and naturally know right from wrong. It is much more involved but this will do for now.

13. 2BeholdHisGlory

2BeholdHisGlory Still on vacation!

+408
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    All nations were mentioned long before in Abraham

Gal 3:8-9 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Romans 1:5-6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ. By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name

14. Unqualified

+355
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    They are not under the new covenant they are under the first covenant. They are only responsible for the old covenant. They are under the new covenant when they repent and become saved.
    They are headed for condemnation under the first, they have no peace with God, they are at enmity with God. They have guilt for sin. God has no place for sin He is perfect, no sin is forgiven without the shedding of blood. Either theirs or Jesus’ if they trust in Him. By turning from sin and toward Jesus they become his friend, receive his mercy, get forgiven and establish the new covenant for themselves.