Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most of us say repentance means turning from sin, turning to Christ. What then do we mean by turning from sin, turning to Christ? I have given this some serious thought. I believe repentance means STOP sinning and turning to God for forgiveness of our sins. Then people will say: "We are sinners, we can't stop sinning!" If we can't stop sinning, what then does it mean to "turn from sin"?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most of us say repentance means turning from sin, turning to Christ. What then do we mean by turning from sin, turning to Christ? I have given this some serious thought. I believe repentance means STOP sinning and turning to God for forgiveness of our sins. Then people will say: "We are sinners, we can't stop sinning!" If we can't stop sinning, what then does it mean to "turn from sin"?
I means to avoid or resist sin, we are not perfect and we are going to sin. Even Paul had a problem with sin although he was making his best efforts not to sin.

• Winner
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Repent: μετανοεῖτε (metanoeite).
To change one's mind or purpose
Usage: I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True repentance is achieved through His Holy Spirit. So walk in His Holy Spirit daily. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It means to recognize it as bring against God's will, and therefore against our will. Thus the difference between unwilful sin, and willfully sinning.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In Philippians 1:6, he who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it on the day of Christ Jesus, so if we could become sinless in this life, then what is left to complete on that day?

Proverbs 3:1-6 My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, 2 for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. 3 Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 So you will find favor and good success[a] in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Our desire clouds of judgement so that we can no longer be sure if something is truly good or if we just think that it is good because we desire it, which is where Proverbs 3:1-6 becomes important, so we need to repent from doing what is right in our own eyes by learning on our own understanding and turn towards trusting God to correctly divide between good and evil by keeping His commandments.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We can't stop sinning as our animal nature is part of our makeup. That of course was not an issue until we learned of good and evil which then made our animal nature conflict with the will of God as we now knew we were using our own will and had the power to use it rather than follow the will of God (this of course shows we are also capable of controlling ourselves). We became aware of our dual nature and as time progressed many even forgot their Godly nature, they being absorbed in self.
All God ever asked of us from beginning to end of the Bible was/is to put His will ahead of our own will or the will of any other beings, be they of this world or the troublesome Heavenly host. We simply repent/change our allegiance from anything other than God to God alone, even though we are still aware of the ability to do otherwise. This of course comes only with an understanding of why we are incapable of governing ourselves. We learn to hate our self centered selves and in turn when we change allegiance, the world we have made in our own image will now hate us.

Last edited:
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Repentance is always about stop sinning, and i think the bible supports me in this, you can't be a christian, and keep adultering without repentance and robbing, and murdering fornicating etc etc. So if we do this stuff, we need urgently try to stop doing that with the help of God.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I means to avoid or resist sin, we are not perfect and we are going to sin. Even Paul had a problem with sin although he was making his best efforts not to sin.
Are you referring to Romans 7? I think Paul speaks about his former self as a non Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repentance, as a term, means to turn from "something." Most commonly it means from a life of sin. But the term itself does not automatically mean to turn from sin.
he Greek word translated “repentance” is metanoia, and the meaning is simply “a change of mind.”
There are instances where the term "repent" is not referring from sin i.e. fleshy sin.

Jeremiah 26:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
13 Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the Lord your God; and the Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

1 Chronicles 21:15 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Joel 2:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
13 And rend your heart, and not your garments,
And turn unto the Lord your God:
For he is gracious and merciful,
Slow to anger, and of great kindness,
And repenteth him of the evil.

So repentance means to change your mind, and that change results in a change in your course of action.

One passage I think is significant to this discussion.

Acts 2:36-38 KJV
36. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This passage is often used to add works to the gospel. Repent here is assumed to mean "stop sinning," and therefore some preach this to mean "stop all your sinning and be baptized..." Yet I do not see this in the context of the passage. Peter is telling them to repent of what they did, namely, repent of your rejection and crucifixion of Jesus who God made both Lord and Christ. Instead, they were to change their mind and course of action and accept Him as Lord and Christ and in fact be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Now of course we are to repent from sin, but that is not the context of this passage. Nobody is suggesting that we should live our lives in sin. But there is error in this interpretation. It is pressed by some to mean that we must repent from sin before or concurrently to having faith to be saved. Ceasing from sin prior to being born again would only prove that you do not have to trust Christ to save you from sin. Romans 3 proves this. If you can cease from sin, then that would prove you can be righteous by the law.

Romans 3:19-20 KJV
19. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Romans 3:28 KJV
28. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

The next chapter of Acts shows another example.

Acts 3:13-19 KJV
13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15. And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16. And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
17. And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18. But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

And I submit the same reasoning here. Peter is not talking about sin, rather he is talking about their rejection and denial that Jesus is the Christ. They were to repent of that denial and rejection that resulted in the murder of Jesus.

True repentance from sin can only come after a man is born again and has the seed or nature of God.

1 John 3:9 KJV
9. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The truth being, that before you are born again, you have no capacity to repent from sin, and only afterward is it possible to cease from sin. All to the glory of God.
Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It means to recognize it as bring against God's will, and therefore against our will. Thus the difference between unwilful sin, and willfully sinning.
Will you give a few examples of unwilful sin? I'm not even sure I would say what you call unwilful sin, a sin. To me sin is wilfull or I doubt it's a sin.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I do that?
It is not something you do it is something that happens to a regenerated believer. The Holy Spirit lives in us. He guilds us in all we do unless we quench Him. Are you questioning whether He has made His Home in you? Here is what He promised to all who love Him:

John 14:23​

23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So repentance means to change your mind, and that change results in a change in your course of action.
Yes, going from being loyal to the will and selfish default ways of man, to the will and caring ways of God. Becoming haters of the self centered ways of man and in turn becoming hated by the world man has made in our own image.,

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance, as a term, means to turn from "something." Most commonly it means from a life of sin. But the term itself does not automatically mean to turn from sin.
he Greek word translated “repentance” is metanoia, and the meaning is simply “a change of mind.”
There are instances where the term "repent" is not referring from sin i.e. fleshy sin.

Jeremiah 26:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
13 Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the Lord your God; and the Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

1 Chronicles 21:15 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Joel 2:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)
13 And rend your heart, and not your garments,
And turn unto the Lord your God:
For he is gracious and merciful,
Slow to anger, and of great kindness,
And repenteth him of the evil.

One passage I think is significant to this discussion.

Acts 2:36-38 KJV
36. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This passage is often used to add works to the gospel. Repent here is assumed to mean "stop sinning," and therefore some preach this to mean "stop all your sinning and be baptized..." Yet I do not see this in the context of the passage. Peter is telling them to repent of what they did, namely, repent of your rejection and crucifixion of Jesus who God made both Lord and Christ. Instead, they were to change their mind and course of action and accept Him as Lord and Christ and in fact be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Now of course we are to repent from sin, but that is not the context of this passage. Nobody is suggesting that we should live our lives in sin. But there is error in this interpretation. It is pressed by some to mean that we must repent from sin before or concurrently to having faith to be saved. Ceasing from sin prior to being born again would only prove that you do not have to trust Christ to save you from sin. Romans 3 proves this. If you can cease from sin, then that would prove you can be righteous by the law.

Romans 3:19-20 KJV
19. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Romans 3:28 KJV
28. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

The next chapter of Acts shows another example.

Acts 3:13-19 KJV
13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15. And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16. And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
17. And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18. But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

And I summit the same reasoning here. Peter is not talking about sin, rather he is talking about their rejection and denial that Jesus is the Christ. They were to repent of that denial and reject that resulted in the murder of Jesus.

True repentance from sin can only come after a man is born again and has the seed or nature of God.

1 John 3:9 KJV
9. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The truth being, that before you are born again, you have no capacity to repent from sin, and only afterward is it possible to cease from sin. All to the glory of God.
Peace.
Interesting thoughts, but if we look how John the baptist uses the word repent we get a different picture.

John Preaches to the People

7Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 9And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

10So the people asked him, saying, “What shall we do then?”

11He answered and said to them, “He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise.”

12Then tax collectors also came to be baptized, and said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?”

13And he said to them, “Collect no more than what is appointed for you.”

14Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?”

So he said to them, “Do not [c]intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”

- NKJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is not something you do it is something that happens to a regenerated believer. The Holy Spirit lives in us. He guilds us in all we do unless we quench Him. Are you questioning whether He has made His Home in you? Here is what He promised to all who love Him:

John 14:23​

23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
No, I'm not questioning that, but how do you quench the Spirit and what do you do if you have quenched the Spirit?

I'm asking not because I don't have an idea, but want to know your reasoning. Nothing wrong with sharpen up your theology, if someone gives you better understanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This subject is close to my heart because I always wish I did not sin. We can also admit, confess or sins and be forgiven like David. He admitted his sin to Nathan and God said he was forgiven. Ask for forgiveness. He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us.

Jesus was the only sinless man. We can’t possibly hope to achieve that. To not fail even in our thoughts? To not imagine or plan evil? And presumptuous sins, to think more highly of ourselves than we ought and act on it?

sin is useless worthless but it will land you in hell if not forgiven. It’s a waste of time because the wrath of man does not accomplish the will of God.‘. I sim mostly in my thoughts and that’s why I need a savior. It’s hopeless without.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its like turning over a new leaf a change of mind. Its standing looking around seeing you missed that mark. You go over and stand on it. Now we read through the sweet sweet holy Spirit "For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature."

We do tend to take one moment in time and run with it. So you ask what does it mean to turn from sin. What did Paul mean when he said I don't do the things I should do? Then its no longer I that do it but sin that is in me? Do you we know who we are? :) Its meat. What are we focusing on the old man or new man? What was born from above or born again? What is that new man we put on which is after God created in righteousness and true holiness? I am not of this world. I am right now seated in heavenly places and I come always before my Father boldly! I could not ever do this if I am in sin full of sin. Yet Christ already died He can not die again. The sweet sweet holy spirit tied to tell those Jewish believers that when they sinned would try to go up and offer a sacrifice for that sin. He told them there is no more sacrifice for that sin Christ can not died again to do that puts Him to open shame.

Before Christ even died He told some "go and sin no more least a worse things on you". So before He died told them not to sin. There is none righteous not one we all will fall at some point because we live in this flesh that is still living in a fallen world where Satan is the god of. So I have no right to sin. I don't focus on sin its not me. That is not who I am now. I "put off your old self [completely discard your former nature], which is being corrupted through deceitful desires and be continually renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh, untarnished mental and spiritual attitude], and put on the new self [the regenerated and renewed nature], created in God’s image, [godlike] in the righteousness and holiness of the truth [living in a way that expresses to God your gratitude for your salvation]."

"renewed in the spirit of your mind" this has to happen every moment of every day. So if some fall if they are stuck in some sin.. I like Him show mercy and grace for as its written against you, and you only have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight; that you may be proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge.. And I reach down and help them up as He does me every time I fall or on those moments I can't get up. All He will say is "that is why I died" and "I didn't come to condemn the world but to save it". So think when talking about others and sin He never ever condemns. Just yes to repent is turn from sin a new leaf. It just pushes Him away and sin always hurts us. But is it finished praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS. So praise God for how we see and feel in this one moment. Its when all around us is bad and we seem to be stuck do we still walk by faith live by faith hold on to HIM allowing HIM to help us or are we trying to do it ourselfs

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This subject is close to my heart because I always wish I did not sin. We can also admit, confess or sins and be forgiven like David. He admitted his sin to Nathan and God said he was forgiven. Ask for forgiveness. He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us.

Jesus was the only sinless man. We can’t possibly hope to achieve that. To not fail even in our thoughts? To not imagine or plan evil? And presumptuous sins, to think more highly of ourselves than we ought and act on it?

sin is useless worthless but it will land you in hell if not forgiven. It’s a waste of time because the wrath of man does not accomplish the will of God.‘. I sim mostly in my thoughts and that’s why I need a savior. It’s hopeless without.
Of course no Christian can live a whole life without sometimes sinning. We need forgiveness when we do. By stop sinning, I mean stop live in regular sin. Sin is supposed to be a rare thing for a Christian, not an everyday practice. When i comes to sinning in thoughts, for an example having lustful thoughts, it's not from my perspective a sin unless you keep entertaining the thoughts. It's the same with all thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its like turning over a new leaf a change of mind. Its standing looking around seeing you missed that mark. You go over and stand on it. Now we read through the sweet sweet holy Spirit "For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature."

We do tend to take one moment in time and run with it. So you ask what does it mean to turn from sin. What did Paul mean when he said I don't do the things I should do? Then its no longer I that do it but sin that is in me? Do you we know who we are? :) Its meat. What are we focusing on the old man or new man? What was born from above or born again? What is that new man we put on which is after God created in righteousness and true holiness? I am not of this world. I am right now seated in heavenly places and I come always before my Father boldly! I could not ever do this if I am in sin full of sin. Yet Christ already died He can not die again. The sweet sweet holy spirit tied to tell those Jewish believers that when they sinned would try to go up and offer a sacrifice for that sin. He told them there is no more sacrifice for that sin Christ can not died again to do that puts Him to open shame.

Before Christ even died He told some "go and sin no more least a worse things on you". So before He died told them not to sin. There is none righteous not one we all will fall at some point because we live in this flesh that is still living in a fallen world where Satan is the god of. So I have no right to sin. I don't focus on sin its not me. That is not who I am now. I "put off your old self [completely discard your former nature], which is being corrupted through deceitful desires and be continually renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh, untarnished mental and spiritual attitude], and put on the new self [the regenerated and renewed nature], created in God’s image, [godlike] in the righteousness and holiness of the truth [living in a way that expresses to God your gratitude for your salvation]."

"renewed in the spirit of your mind" this has to happen every moment of every day. So if some fall if they are stuck in some sin.. I like Him show mercy and grace for as its written against you, and you only have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight; that you may be proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge.. And I reach down and help them up as He does me every time I fall or on those moments I can't get up. All He will say is "that is why I died" and "I didn't come to condemn the world but to save it". So think when talking about others and sin He never ever condemns. Just yes to repent is turn from sin a new leaf. It just pushes Him away and sin always hurts us. But is it finished praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS. So praise God for how we see and feel in this one moment. Its when all around us is bad and we seem to be stuck do we still walk by faith live by faith hold on to HIM allowing HIM to help us or are we trying to do it ourselfs
Thanks! I do doubt that Paul is talking about his current situation as a Christian in Romans 7, but rather his previous life as a Jew.

Like I told "Unqualified" in the post before, I believe that sinning is supposed to be a rare thing for a Christian, not an everyday practice.

Upvote 0