Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have seen on these forums that there are some who believe that repentance is about turning away from sin, that is the breaking of the Ten Commandments.
It is not about that. The Greek word for Repentance is metanoia. G3340, change mind, think differently or reconsider.
Meta, meaning change, and noia meaning mind.
Jesus said in Mark 1:15, Repent and believe the Gospel.
Stop thinking you can save yourself by your good deeds and trust in Christ for your salvation.
It is not about being sorry for your sins. If you repent and trust God to save you, He will. He will also give you new desires, and those old sins you will have sorrow over. This sorrowing over sins cannot be manufactured by you. God must do a work in you.
If it were about having sorrow over sins, Judas would have been just fine as he was quite sorry for betraying Jesus.
The word for repent here is different than metanoia.
Strong's No.:G3338
Greek:μεταμέλλομαι
Transliteration:metamellomai
Pronunciation: met-am-el'-lom-ahee
Definition:From G3326 and the middle of G3199; to care afterwards that is regret: - repent (self).

This word is about regret, and regret is totally useless when it comes to salvation. It is a worldly sorrow.
Compare it to the godly sorrow of 2 Corinthians 7:10
This was a godly sorrow. The Corinthians didn't manufacture this sorrow, God did.
If we change our mind about our ability to receive God's favor and completely depend on Him, this is godly repentance.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have seen on these forums that there are some who believe that repentance is about turning away from sin, that is the breaking of the Ten Commandments.
It is not about that. The Greek word for Repentance is metanoia. G3340, change mind, think differently or reconsider.

It's been said that repentance of sins is impossible. But reconsidering is possible.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have seen on these forums that there are some who believe that repentance is about turning away from sin, that is the breaking of the Ten Commandments

Nowhere have I found it written to repent from sin.

Don't repent from sin. Repent toward YHWH.

(CLV) Ac 20:21
certifying to both Jews and to Greeks repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now how can one love YHWH with ALL is mind; if his mind is on sin?

Glory to YHWH!

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Stop thinking you can save yourself by your good deeds and trust in Christ for your salvation.
It is not about being sorry for your sins. If you repent and trust God to save you, He will. He will also give you new desires, and those old sins you will have sorrow over. This sorrowing over sins cannot be manufactured by you. God must do a work in you.
If it were about having sorrow over sins, Judas would have been just fine as he was quite sorry for betraying Jesus.
The word for repent here is different than metanoia.
Strong's No.:G3338
Greek:μεταμέλλομαι
Transliteration:metamellomai
Pronunciation: met-am-el'-lom-ahee
Definition:From G3326 and the middle of G3199; to care afterwards that is regret: - repent (self).

This word is about regret, and regret is totally useless when it comes to salvation. It is a worldly sorrow.
Compare it to the godly sorrow of 2 Corinthians 7:10
This was a godly sorrow. The Corinthians didn't manufacture this sorrow, God did.
If we change our mind about our ability to receive God's favor and completely depend on Him, this is godly repentance.

Why I have a feeling that we watched the same youtube video today? lol!

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why I have a feeling that we watched the same youtube video today? lol!

The one where the fantastic teacher ,Renee Roland discusses her million dollar challenge for anybody that can show in the KJV where it says we must give up all of our sins to be saved?

Many former Wolverine fans have repented after their dismal showing a few weeks ago, but that is an entirely different subject...lol

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere have I found it written to repent from sin.

Don't repent from sin. Repent toward YHWH.

(CLV) Ac 20:21
certifying to both Jews and to Greeks repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now how can one love YHWH with ALL is mind; if his mind is on sin?

Glory to YHWH!

I really like that quote from acts...it will come in handy some day....lol...thanks for the reminder

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The one where the fantastic teacher ,Renee Roland discusses her million dollar challenge for anybody that can show in the KJV where it says we must give up all of our sins to be saved?

Many former Wolverine fans have repented after their dismal showing a few weeks ago, but that is an entirely different subject...lol

lol no another vid.... but Renee Roland, who's that?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
True repentance is the sole reason for the ministry of John the Baptist. Repentance was for the purpose of making the way straight for the Messiah to save us. There is much to be gleaned from the account in Matthew. And do not believe that you have no responsibility in your own repentance, and for the fruit you bear. Even though the fruit comes through the Holy Spirit, it is up to us not to quench Him. There are many false doctrines to the contrary out there, so wise up and study on your own.

Matthew 3:1 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, 2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” 3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying:

“The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
Prepare the way of the Lord;
Make His paths straight
.’”

4 Now John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, 9 and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 10 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums