✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
As I gather from here, it is the blood of Christ that provides salvation. Christ died for our sins so that we can be forgiven a huge mountain of sins that we could never do enough good works to cancel out.

We can't do it through good works, we need Christ's blood.

My question is about Repentance...
Where does repentance fit in?
What is it?
Do we also need to repent?

*If we sin after being saved... should we repent again?

*What happens if we sin again and don't repent of it?

To avoid hell do we have to repent, make the effort to not sin and ask forgiveness when we become aware of sinning, even if we have already been saved?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
As I gather from here, it is the blood of Christ that provides salvation. Christ died for our sins so that we can be forgiven a huge mountain of sins that we could never do enough good works to cancel out.

What is it?

To avoid hell do we have to repent, make the effort to not sin and ask forgiveness when we become aware of sinning, even if we have already been saved?

Repentance is actually used in a military sense. Or at least it was. If some group rebelled against a king, the king would summon his armies to quash the rebellion. Before attacking, a "time for repentance" would be offered, having the meaning of "cease the rebellion". Anyone ceasing the rebellion and agreeing to live as subjects of the king would be spared. Anyone who did not would be crushed by the army.

Christianity is the same. Mankind is in rebellion against God and God has granted repentance. Anyone who accepts the sacrifice of Christ receives pardon for all previous sins, and is expected to live according to God's laws. Any person accepting those terms can voluntarily lapse back into rebellion and be treated like any other rebel. In the end they are destroyed.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is it?

We are getting forgiveness for being an enemy of God. To obtain forgiveness for any offence there has to be sorrow for the offence.

Jesus forgives us All our sins, yet we still sin and knowing what it cost Jesus we still say sorry.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1 Jn 1

8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Repentance must be accompanied by I desire to be reconciled to a healthy relationship with God, not just get our sins forgiven to avoid Judgment. The Way The Life The Truth.
Romans 5:10.
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not just a matter of avoiding Hell, it is like we hurt a best friend when we sin and we want to restore the relationship.

And yes there are two issues to understand. Firstly if we really want to put our lives into His hands and be born again, we need to repent - this means we agree with Him that we have messed up and want Him to take over our lives - He does this by indwelling us with Himself and the repentance and forgiveness give Him a clean vessel to indwell.

At the same time he transfers us spiritually from the Kingdom of darkness to the Kingdom of light so He becomes our King and we are adopted into His family.

This is a profound change and we then have His spirit in us leading us in paths of righteousness in a love relationship with Him.

If we then sin and offend the Holy Spirit within, we feel His pain within and repent knowing it has pained us both.

However our salvation is intact because our transference to His Kingdom is irreversible.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So good news for those of us who enjoy a good old sin once in a while. No need to worry?
An attitude like that is worrisome. You seem to be ignoring what Carl wrote, for the sake of "good news"?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So good news for those of us who enjoy a good old sin once in a while. No need to worry?

It doesn't work like that, if our relationship with Jesus is real we will not want to sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi,

What is it?

Repentance is vital as it means that we know that sin is not acceptable to God. It means that we change our attitude to sin. What was once something we thought entirely acceptable is now wrong for us.

Repenting is only one part of the equation, as you rightly point out. Once we have repented and accepted the death of Christ as payment for all our sin we are forgiven. That's right, including any sin we have yet to commit. If you doubt this, ask yourself how may of your sins were future when Lord Jesus died for you? If you said, "All of them", you'd be right.

We are forgiven. Sin no longer is a death sentence. We have passed from death to life and that life is eternal. What we do need is cleansing. Sin breaks our fellowship with God. It does not change relationship. What we need is cleansing, in particular our conscience. In order to be cleansed, we need to confess our sin. The moment we confess, we are cleansed. "Confession" is more than a vague "I did, but so what?" attitude. Real Christians have a conscience that tells them when they are wrong.

If you have accepted Christ, your eternity is secure. If you do not confess sin regularly, your Christian life will be stale and dull, God will not answer your prayers and you will lack peace and joy. Not much of a way to live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

What is it?

I suggest you go on youtube and look up Derek Prince + repentance. He has several teachings on the topic. They are rather lengthy but as he was a classical greek scholar and fluent in Hebrew as well, his teaching is top notch.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
So if, just once, you really truly repent then you won't want to sin again, though you may get tempted again, you'll feel bad and repent naturally.
But even if you are not bothered... you'll just have a lacklustre life... but still go to heaven.

Oh, and if you don't feel bad it must be because you were never really saved in the first place? Even though you might think you were.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

What is it?

None of us have reached perfection, so I see repentance as the flipside of faith where repentance is a TURNING AWAY from sin/self and faith is a TURNING TO Jesus.
The two happen simultaneously and because we are not yet perfect, both should happen often.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tele said...
"So if, just once, you really truly repent then you won't want to sin again, though you may get tempted again, you'll feel bad and repent naturally.
But even if you are not bothered... you'll just have a lacklustre life... but still go to heaven.

Oh, and if you don't feel bad it must be because you were never really saved in the first place? Even though you might think you were...."

Is that a question or a statement?

I had 11 years in rebellion after being born again - it was no joke... lost everything like the prodigal son. You dont want to go there...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

What is it?

The word in the New Testament which is translated as "repentance" is metanoia, one could pick the word apart, as a combination of meta (over, above, beyond) and nous (mind). A probably better way of understanding the word is that it refers to a change of mind, a transformation in one's thinking; to go from thinking one way to a new way.

Repentance is a transformation of how we think. When we talk about repentance for our sin, the implication is that this involves contrition for sin, that is to be sorrowful, to grieve for what we have done; a recognition that how we have been is wrong and that it can no longer go on this way, and something needs to change. I need to change. So with a contrite heart we confess our sin, and cry out to God for His mercy--the mercy which is ours because God has promised us forgiveness of our sins through Christ. Repentance is that cry to God to be changed by God's kindness and mercy. To be grieved over our sin, contrite, and that only God and His grace is our refuge; only by the grace of God can we find life.

This repentance, this metanoia, is not a kind of stepping stone, or initial "act", that somehow flips a switch. The call to repentance is an ever-present call, and invitation to see ourselves honestly in our sin, and to turn our gaze upon Christ, that God's grace is the only place where we find forgiveness, find life, and the strength to carry on. That we might recognize ourselves, and hear the Gospel, to hear this good news of God's love, compassion, goodness, grace, and salvation which is ours freely through Christ and what He has done.

Repentance is not so much a discrete act, but a lifestyle. It is the "upward calling of God", as St. Paul calls it in Philippians, of pushing onward and forward toward Christ, the knowledge that we have not yet already obtained that glory or perfection, but continue in this life struggling and striving, relying entirely on grace. It is the ever-present call of Christ upon our life to come and be His disciple, to take up our cross and follow Him. In the words of Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer in his work The Cost of Discipleship, "When Christ calls a man, He bids him 'Come and die.'"

Repentance is the daily cross. It is the contrite heart full of grief over our sin, and the crying and longing of the heart to be changed, transformed, and conformed to the image of Christ. That we "Not be conformed to the pattern of this age, but be transformed by the renewing of [our] mind." (Romans 12:2)

Christ calls us to repentance, not as a once and that's it act or choice; but as the call of discipleship, to follow Him, to come and take up our cross, and to die.

"I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as excrement, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
" - Philippians 3:8-16

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shalom @Tellyontellyon

What is it?

Don't get misled in these last days about the important of repentance.

There is a fairly recent movement in the Church today preaching that we just need the blood of Messiah and that first prayer of repentance only. This is unscriptural.

Even after coming to believe in Yahweh and following the Messiah, we make mistakes all the time. Some we are aware of and others we discover in ourselves as we learn more of His Word.

But, when we mess up, if repent immediately and with sincerity and He will be faithful to forgive us (1 John 1:9).

However, if you follow the aforementioned movement, they might try to convince you that repentance is no longer needed and "it was all dealt with at the cross". It was, BUT if you don't repent, then it wasn't.

This was the very first word of the John the Baptist's message and the Messiah's ministry..."Repent!" For the Day of the Lord is at hand and we may even see that day in the next few years. Do you feel ready to meet Him face to face? If so, then Praise Yahweh - you will be with Him so soon now! If not, repent - set your heart in order NOW, not tomorrow.

You are saved if you remain faithful to the Messiah Yahushua, believing all He said, and to the Word of Yahweh. But not only believing but acting according to that belief - otherwise, what evidence is their of your belief? Now, it is possible that everyone who calls on His name with faith will be saved, but there is clearly a division between believers in the last days taught in the Word:
  • Those who are called "least in the Kingdom of Heaven" (Matt 5:17-20), who may be the ones who cry "Lord, Lord" only to be responded to by the Messiah "I never knew you" (Matt 7:21-23). The "foolish virgins" (Matt 25:1-13)
  • Those who are called "greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven", and "good and faithful" servants (Matt 25:21). The "wise virgins".

Therefore, make every effort, even from today, to be a good and faithful servant. True, Salvation is only achievable through the atoning sacrifice of the Messiah. BUT if you cannot hold up your end of the bargain of bringing a repentant, sober heart and maintaining humility to be corrected by His Word (rather than led by men) - then you are potentially jeopardising your outcome on judgement day.

Still not convinced?

Suppose you do as I suggest - you repent for your sins as you mess up until the day He returns. How do you suppose the Master would react to you? He might say (as some would believe) "You didn't need to continue to repent!" But, if that WAS the case, He would still surely appreciate your humility in you doing so. Consider Luke 18:9-14.

But suppose you don't do as I suggest - You no longer repent of your sins and how you mess up until the day He returns. How do you suppose He would react then? Isn't it a bit of a gamble? Wouldn't He be hypocritical to accept an unrepentant sinner into His House? Consider Ezekiel 18:21-24.

Therefore, in either case, repentance if the wise, good, humble and appropriate option and "offering" from our heart - especially if we truly fear Yahweh.

I hope that helps in some way.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0