Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus, Paul, and Bible nowhere says to "repent of your sins to be saved" this is added in by false teachers who want to add to Jesus finished work on the cross. I get so sick of the ROYS preaching that you must do two things to be saved: Repent of all your sins, and oh yeah also believe on Christ. NO wrong, salvation is Christ alone nothing of our works, our works are filthy rags.

Jesus said believe on him to have eternal life. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Paul said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in Acts 16:30-31 there is not "repent of all your sins" as a requirement to be saved. Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Salvation is not us cleaning up our life, turning from sins, that is not salvation! otherwise Jesus didn't need to die on the cross! People who teach you must turn from all your sins and believe are teaching a works based salvation, and Christ doesn't get all the glory, it is demonic! we can't earn salvation that is a horrible false teaching.

The Biblical word repent means change of mind, repent and believe the gospel, not "repent of all your sins and believe" that is false, unbiblical, and ROYS preachers are falsely teaching.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What do we repent of.. change our ways about? Is it sin which is simply the act of putting our will ahead of the will of God or something else? As a result of repentance don't we change that, reverse it and put our allegiance with God instead of the world man has made in our image? Curious.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus, Paul, and Bible nowhere says to "repent of your sins to be saved" this is added in by false teachers who want to add to Jesus finished work on the cross. I get so sick of the ROYS preaching that you must do two things to be saved: Repent of all your sins, and oh yeah also believe on Christ. NO wrong, salvation is Christ alone nothing of our works, our works are filthy rags.

Jesus said believe on him to have eternal life. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Paul said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in Acts 16:30-31 there is not "repent of all your sins" as a requirement to be saved. Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Salvation is not us cleaning up our life, turning from sins, that is not salvation! otherwise Jesus didn't need to die on the cross! People who teach you must turn from all your sins and believe are teaching a works based salvation, and Christ doesn't get all the glory, it is demonic! we can't earn salvation that is a horrible false teaching.

The Biblical word repent means change of mind, repent and believe the gospel, not "repent of all your sins and believe" that is false, unbiblical, and ROYS preachers are falsely teaching.

Google "antinomianism".

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,915.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus walked the Earth he preached for ~3 years. What did he preach? The Bible says at the very beginning of Jesus' ministry:

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Repent of what?

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Google "antinomianism".
was Jesus antinomian when he said in John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

was Paul antinomian when he said in Acts 16:31 "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

was Peter antinomian in 1 Peter 1:5 "Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Gospel of John was written to show us how to have eternal life, doesn't use the word repent one time, yet uses believe over 90 times. if we have to repent of all our sins to be saved then Johns gospel can't save anybody!

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When Jesus walked the Earth he preached for ~3 years. What did he preach? The Bible says at the very beginning of Jesus' ministry:

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Repent of what?
repent of unbelief or false belief, and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. the biblical word repent means change of mind, it doesn't say "repent of your sins to be saved". should we repent of our sins? absolutely, we repent of our sins daily, that is works, but that has nothing to do with our salvation. and the Bible is clear those who are trusting in their works for salvation, are not saved.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Actually there is no such thing as a works eternal life salvation.

Because no one can be saved by repentance, obedience, commitment, obeying commandments, baptism, etc... It is only people who believe they can gain eternal life by these acts, but no eternal life can be obtained this way.

There are two ways, faith in The Messiah or a perfect sinless lived life. But then there is the problem of Adams sin passed down. So really there is only one way, faith in The Messiah.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.
like I stated in the OP, repent means change of mind, nowhere in that passage does it say we must turn from all of our sins to be saved. nowhere does the Bible say we have to turn from our sins as a condition for salvation. If we are saved by works then we would be able to boast before God, and Jesus wouldn't get all the credit for our salvation.

-
Actually there is no such thing as a works eternal life salvation.

Because no one can be saved by repentance, obedience, commitment, obeying commandments, baptism, etc... It is only people who believe they can gain eternal life by these acts, but no eternal life can be obtained this way.

There are two ways, faith in The Messiah or a perfect sinless lived life. But then there is the problem of Adams sin passed down. So really there is only one way, faith in The Messiah.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.
I agree, we are saved by grace through faith, not works. works based salvation can't save! we are saved by Jesus alone. and anything more than that is adding to Gods word.

Romans 4:5 is clear that the one who does zero works yet believes on Christ? his faith is counted for righteousness

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
was Jesus antinomian when he said in John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

was Paul antinomian when he said in Acts 16:31 "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

was Peter antinomian in 1 Peter 1:5 "Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Gospel of John was written to show us how to have eternal life, doesn't use the word repent one time, yet uses believe over 90 times. if we have to repent of all our sins to be saved then Johns gospel can't save anybody!

You are repeating what is literally one of the oldest heresies of Christianity. It's nothing new. The idea that one can continue to sin and still have eternal life.

Jde 1:4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality...

And you are using the words of Paul to justify it. Again, nothing new.

2Pe 3:16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You are repeating what is literally one of the oldest heresies of Christianity. It's nothing new. The idea that one can continue to sin and still have eternal life.

Jde 1:4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality...

And you are using the words of Paul to justify it. Again, nothing new.

2Pe 3:16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
Jude 1:4 “For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.”

1. I am not creeping in unaware in church
2. I am not teaching lasciviousness
3. I am not denying our Lord Jesus Christ

the Jude 1:4 accusation doesn't apply to teaching grace through faith salvation. Jesus said believe on him for salvation, we can't save ourselves, only he gives us eternal life we will never perish. Paul also taught faith alone. Works salvation is false, only Jesus shed blood on the cross saves sinners.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Peter didn't teach a works based salvation either.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jude 1:4 “For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.”

1. I am not creeping in unaware in church
2. I am not teaching lasciviousness
3. I am not denying our Lord Jesus Christ

the Jude 1:4 accusation doesn't apply to teaching grace through faith salvation. Jesus said believe on him for salvation, we can't save ourselves, only he gives us eternal life we will never perish. Paul also taught faith alone. Works salvation is false, only Jesus shed blood on the cross saves sinners.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Peter didn't teach a works based salvation either.

Well, let's begin with Ephesians 2:8-9. A lot of people like to quote 2:8-9 without ever looking to Ephesians 2:1-7 to see what the writer means. A person enters into salvation by grace through faith. It is not of works, meaning it is not a reward for any works one might have done previously. Paul is very explicit in detailing the works the Ephesians had been wrapped up in prior to salvation.

Eph 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,

Eph 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world...

Eph 2:3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath...

Notice the past tense, "who were", "you once walked", "we all once conducted ourselves". It was those works that did not save them, it was only repentance from those works and faith in Christ that saved them. But even then they were not saved. They had entered in to salvation, but salvation only comes at the end:

Mat 24:13 “But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

That is the misunderstanding that leads people to believe there is a contradiction between Paul and James. James plainly states:

Jas 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

The difference between the two is temporal. Paul speaks of the works the Ephesians were wrapped up in prior to, while James addresses the works needed after.

There is no free ticket to heaven, else Jesus would not have sent his apostles out saying to them:

Mat 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Mat 28:20 “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟732,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?

Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

We are called to obedience, not just "belief"

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

My great grandfather was a devout Baptist, but he disagreed with the thesis the OP presents here. I guess that we should hope that the OP is correct, for if he is wrong, then I fear many Christians will be sadly disappointed when they stand before God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I guess that we should hope that the OP is correct, for if he is wrong, then I fear many Christians will be sadly disappointed when they stand before God.
Many called, few chosen? Now that would be an Idol like tv show.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,915.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
repent of unbelief or false belief, and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. the biblical word repent means change of mind, it doesn't say "repent of your sins to be saved". should we repent of our sins? absolutely, we repent of our sins daily, that is works, but that has nothing to do with our salvation. and the Bible is clear those who are trusting in their works for salvation, are not saved.
Indeed, repentance means to change one's mind. And it is impossible to truly believe in Jesus Christ without changing your mind about your ungodly lifestyle and sinful actions. Repentance doesn't mean "you have to feel sorry for what you have done in the past", it means that you turn around 180°, face God and change your mind about your behaviour to please God from now on.

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟74,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, let's begin with Ephesians 2:8-9. A lot of people like to quote 2:8-9 without ever looking to Ephesians 2:1-7 to see what the writer means. A person enters into salvation by grace through faith. It is not of works, meaning it is not a reward for any works one might have done previously. Paul is very explicit in detailing the works the Ephesians had been wrapped up in prior to salvation.

Eph 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,

Eph 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world...

Eph 2:3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath...

Notice the past tense, "who were", "you once walked", "we all once conducted ourselves". It was those works that did not save them, it was only repentance from those works and faith in Christ that saved them. But even then they were not saved. They had entered in to salvation, but salvation only comes at the end:

Mat 24:13 “But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

the Bible is not saying that only our past sins are forgiven, that is not what the Bible teaches at all, when we believe on Christ all of our sins are forgiven not just our past sins, Jesus died once for all sins.

Jesus was clear those who believe on him hath (present tense) eternal life. and the Bible says we can know we have eternal life 1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Jas 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

The difference between the two is temporal. Paul speaks of the works the Ephesians were wrapped up in prior to, while James addresses the works needed after.

There is no free ticket to heaven, else Jesus would not have sent his apostles out saying to them:

Mat 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Mat 28:20 “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

James 2 is not talking about a works salvation, it is talking about being justified in the eyes of man, it isn't saying before God. James doesn't contradict Paul and the rest of the Bible, which says salvation is by faith with no works.

you say there is no free ticket to heaven, Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Revelation 22:17 And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

salvation is a free gift, it is the gift of God by grace through faith, it is not by our own filthy rag works.

"teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen."

nobody is saying we shouldn't teach people to observe all the commands, but that is not how one receives salvation and sadly in this day most people think you must observe commands in order to have eternal life, so we have to go out and spend time teaching the truth to people, that salvation is paid for by Jesus Christ on the cross, and is a free gift, not by works that we do.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, repentance means to change one's mind. And it is impossible to truly believe in Jesus Christ without changing your mind about your ungodly lifestyle and sinful actions. Repentance doesn't mean "you have to feel sorry for what you have done in the past", it means that you turn around 180°, face God and change your mind about your behaviour to please God from now on.

All uses of repentance is in connection with sin, repenting from sin/sins.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Of course. He taught, lived and sacrificed to bring about the previously unheard of Kingdom. No way out of death before that happened.

Upvote 0