sg
✟214,848.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eph 2:8-9 we are saved by Grace through faith NOT OF WORKS.

The Bible never says to repent of your sins. It says multiple times to repent and turn to God, but never repent of your sins.

If i'm saved by faith and continue in sin am i still saved? If you say "yes", then you are labeled as an easy believest and are disregarding scriptures like 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Revelation 21:8 and Matthew 7:21-23

BUT

If you say "no" then you are saying that it takes faith and works to be saved which is completely unbiblical: Galatians 5:4 Ephesians 2:8-9 Romans 3:28

I propose that salvation can only be obtained when grace is given to you. FOR BY GRACE are we saved through faith. Once God gives you grace, you believe and you turn from your sins. Once one has received grace, they no longer want to sin, they want to obey God. Grace is overlooked in the Bible but you cant have faith or works without grace. Ephesians 2:10 2 Corinthians 12:9 Romans 6:14 Romans 11:6 Hebrews 4:16

I can agree with your main point. The idea of repentance is for the Jews and can be viewed from the parable of the tenants, told in all 3 synoptic gospels. (Matthew 21:33-46; Mark 12:1-12; Luke 20:9-19)

When Jesus and the 12 were preaching from Matt-John, they need to repent of rejecting God their Father in the OT, and believe in his Son is their promised King and Messiah, as foretold by their prophets.

But as Jesus told them in the parable of the tenants, they were wicked and decided to slay the son instead, thinking they can then take control of the vineyard. The words they told Pilate was really horrific from this perspective

Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request.

So when Peter urged his Jewish brothers at Pentecost to repent (Acts 2:38), they are to repent from their horrific act of murdering the Son of God, and accept him once again as the Son of God and their King.

But of course they did not, so God blinded them temporary.

Repentance for Gentiles is not strictly necessary. We need to believe in Jesus's death burial and resurrection for our sins. If there is repentance, it more to repent of our works to get right with God, and rest in Jesus's finished works.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grace has never been overlooked by the Church. Historically grace is central; it's the work of God in us and a primary difference, for the individual, between the Old and New Covenants. So grace precedes any act of our own; God iniates everything.

But we don't have to respond; we can still resist grace either at first or at any point down the road. And we will still continue to struggle with sin, and can turn back to sin and away from God at any point. We can turn away from faith; we can refuse to live by the Spirit.

If we turned away from God completely we would have to experience a new change of heart all over again, wanting to return, repenting anew, in order to come back to His fold.
You dont see God's grace in the OT? Really? Can you tell me how it was that Abraham's faith was accounted to him as righteousness if he wasn't granted saving grace? How about the other prophets who had faith? How'd they get it without saving Grace? How did Elijah and Enoch get it?

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Continuing to sin is about continueing in the bondage of sin
Eph 2:8-9 we are saved by Grace through faith NOT OF WORKS.

The Bible never says to repent of your sins. It says multiple times to repent and turn to God, but never repent of your sins.

If i'm saved by faith and continue in sin am i still saved? If you say "yes", then you are labeled as an easy believest and are disregarding scriptures like 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Revelation 21:8 and Matthew 7:21-23

BUT

If you say "no" then you are saying that it takes faith and works to be saved which is completely unbiblical: Galatians 5:4 Ephesians 2:8-9 Romans 3:28

I propose that salvation can only be obtained when grace is given to you. FOR BY GRACE are we saved through faith. Once God gives you grace, you believe and you turn from your sins. Once one has received grace, they no longer want to sin, they want to obey God. Grace is overlooked in the Bible but you cant have faith or works without grace. Ephesians 2:10 2 Corinthians 12:9 Romans 6:14 Romans 11:6 Hebrews 4:16

Believers can still sin after regeneration. However, they are no longer in bondage (having the predilection) to sin. So, I agree with you that salvation can only be obtained by the acts of God alone and not by human actions at all. In fact, I say salvation is entirely the act of God not an act of the human will at all. God doesn't need nor does he ask for our assistance in God saving us. IMO those who say He does need our assistance are not reading the bible exegetically.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You dont see God's grace in the OT? Really? Can you tell me how it was that Abraham's faith was accounted to him as righteousness if he wasn't granted saving grace? How about the other prophets who had faith? How'd they get it without saving Grace? How did Elijah and Enoch get it?
Yes, I see grace in the OT, but for particular figures designated for specific purposes. The outpouring of grace to all of us personally as individuals is peculiar to the NC .

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I see grace in the OT, but for particular figures designated for specific purposes. The outpouring of grace to all of us personally as individuals is peculiar to the NC .

I think you are conflating the working of the Holy Spirit in the OT with Saving grace. Saving grace applies to all who believe and have faith not just NT believers. God isnt a respecter of persons, my friend.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you are conflating the working of the Holy Spirit in the OT with Saving grace. Saving grace applies to all who believe and have faith not just NT believers. God isnt a respecter of persons, my friend.
Grace is grace my friend. It's God overtures towards man, reaching down with the purpose of steering us towards salvation from beginning to end. When the time was ripe there was a broad outpouring of grace/the Spirit, where all could come to know God for themselves.
"No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord."
Jer 31:34

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No man, repent is a turning away from. "Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand" doesnt mean stop sinning, that would get people nowhere, it means turn from the world into faith in the Lord. from unbelief to belief.

I don't know what people here are talking about.

Christ died so we are no longer slaves to sin, and now we should be slaves to righteousness

So yes, we must stop, with the help of God sinning. It may cost to leave some sin behind to some, but that is what we must aim for.

Slaves to Righteousness

15 What then? lAre we to sin mbecause we are not under law but under grace? By no means! nto anyone as obedient slaves,3 you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? othanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the pstandard of teaching to which you were committed, qhaving been set free from sin, rhave become slaves of righteousness. sI am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For tjust as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members uas slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

vFor when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. wBut what fruit were you getting at that time from the things xof which you are now ashamed? yFor the end of those things is death. zhave been set free from sin and ahave become slaves of God, bthe fruit you get leads to sanctification and cits end, eternal life. dFor the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grace is grace my friend. It's God overtures towards man, reaching down with the purpose of steering us towards salvation from beginning to end. When the time was ripe there was a broad outpouring of grace/the Spirit, where all could come to know God for themselves.
"No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord."
Jer 31:34

There are 2 kinds of Grace in the Bible, friend. One is "common" grace and the other is "saving" grace. Some folks conflate them. IN Jeremiah 31, Verse 31 speaks of a new covenant between the houses of Judah and Israel not all of humanity. The new covenant for them is when the remnant is saved. The house of Judah and the house of Israel must be reunited before that happens and the reuniting hasnt happened yet. When it does happen they will be messianic jews who preach during the trib.

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are 2 kinds of Grace in the Bible, friend. One is "common" grace and the other is "saving" grace. Some folks conflate them. IN Jeremiah 31, Verse 31 speaks of a new covenant between the houses of Judah and Israel not all of humanity. The new covenant for them is when the remnant is saved. The house of Judah and the house of Israel must be reunited before that happens and the reuniting hasnt happened yet. When it does happen they will be messianic jews who preach during the trib.
Are you saying that there was one grace to Israel and another to the New Covenant believers? Imo there is the grace given to fulfill God’s care of the world and there is a grace given to fulfill His purposes but that is seen in both OT and NT

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that there was one grace to Israel and another to the New Covenant believers? Imo there is the grace given to fulfill God’s care of the world and there is a grace given to fulfill His purposes but that is seen in both OT and NT
No, what Im saying is saving Grace is just that. Its saving Grace and it applies to all equally because God is not a respecter of persons. There are two kinds of Grace in the bible. One is common grace (the rain, the sun, etc are enjoyed by all humans). The other is saving Grace. No one is saved by works, or the following of the law which is a type of work, not even remnant that God promised to save.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, what Im saying is saving Grace is just that. Its saving Grace and it applies to all equally because God is not a respecter of persons. there are two kinds of Grace in the bible. One is common grace (the rain, the sun, etc are enjoyed by all humans). The other is saving Grace. NO one is saved by works not even remnant of the jews.
Of course no one is saved by works. That’s the outflowing of grace. I found this online so I guess that’s what your referring to?
Two Kinds of Grace: Part of Common Grace in Grace so Glorious

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course no one is saved by works. That’s the outflowing of grace. I found this online so I guess that’s what your referring to?
Two Kinds of Grace: Part of Common Grace in Grace so Glorious
Both types of Grace are shown in scripture. Some call saving grace "Special grace".

"We must distinguish between grace and justice. Justice is something that is earned or merited by our works. In contrast, grace is undeserved; it is not earned. It is unmerited favor. God is not obligated or required to give grace.

We are prone to think that God owes us something. We often believe that if God were really good, He would give us a better life in some way, but God does not owe us anything. When God behaves in a favorable manner toward us even though we have no claim to it by our merit, then that is always grace.

COMMON GRACE

Common grace is the mercy and kindness that God extends to the human race. For example, neither a godly farmer nor a wicked farmer deserves the rain to nurture his crops, but God sends rain on the just and on the unjust (Matt. 5:45).

God is concerned about the general welfare of the human race. Therefore, since we are made in God’s image we are called to be concerned about the general welfare of the human race.

Nineteenth century liberalism rejected the supernatural aspects of the Christian faith, including the virgin birth, the resurrection, the atonement, and the deity of Christ. The liberals began to emphasize the social agenda at the expense of evangelism. As an overreaction against liberalism, evangelicals began to see social concern as solely a liberal matter and to focus instead on personal salvation. Both sides are wrong. As Christians, we are to be concerned about things like poverty, hunger, and disease, in addition to evangelism.

Francis Schaeffer once said that when it comes to matters of common grace, the Christian must work together with all kinds of people who are not Christians. For example, when we march for the rights of the unborn, we can stand next to anyone, if they share the same concern. But that does not mean we stand shoulder to shoulder in a worship service with non-Christians or liberals.

SPECIAL GRACE

Saving grace is God’s redemptive grace which is only for His elect. We must make a distinction between God’s love of benevolence which has to do with His general concern for the welfare of human beings and His redemptive love which is reserved only for His elect.

God loves everyone, in that He is benevolent toward everyone (as John Calvin said, God loves His image in all people). But God has a special love and grace for the redeemed that He does not have for the rest of the world. “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated” (Romans 9:13).

[Adapted from R.C. Sproul's, Everyone’s a Theologian]

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The word "repent" in Greek literally means "a change of mind". While salvation is contingent upon repentance, it's an attitude, not a work, just like faith is an attitude, not a work.
Yep i understand. A change of mind =/= a person not sinning. Its from unbelief to belief

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Both types of Grace are shown in scripture. Some call saving grace "Special grace".

"We must distinguish between grace and justice. Justice is something that is earned or merited by our works. In contrast, grace is undeserved; it is not earned. It is unmerited favor. God is not obligated or required to give grace.

We are prone to think that God owes us something. We often believe that if God were really good, He would give us a better life in some way, but God does not owe us anything. When God behaves in a favorable manner toward us even though we have no claim to it by our merit, then that is always grace.

COMMON GRACE

Common grace is the mercy and kindness that God extends to the human race. For example, neither a godly farmer nor a wicked farmer deserves the rain to nurture his crops, but God sends rain on the just and on the unjust (Matt. 5:45).

God is concerned about the general welfare of the human race. Therefore, since we are made in God’s image we are called to be concerned about the general welfare of the human race.

Nineteenth century liberalism rejected the supernatural aspects of the Christian faith, including the virgin birth, the resurrection, the atonement, and the deity of Christ. The liberals began to emphasize the social agenda at the expense of evangelism. As an overreaction against liberalism, evangelicals began to see social concern as solely a liberal matter and to focus instead on personal salvation. Both sides are wrong. As Christians, we are to be concerned about things like poverty, hunger, and disease, in addition to evangelism.

Francis Schaeffer once said that when it comes to matters of common grace, the Christian must work together with all kinds of people who are not Christians. For example, when we march for the rights of the unborn, we can stand next to anyone, if they share the same concern. But that does not mean we stand shoulder to shoulder in a worship service with non-Christians or liberals.

SPECIAL GRACE

Saving grace is God’s redemptive grace which is only for His elect. We must make a distinction between God’s love of benevolence which has to do with His general concern for the welfare of human beings and His redemptive love which is reserved only for His elect.

God loves everyone, in that He is benevolent toward everyone (as John Calvin said, God loves His image in all people). But God has a special love and grace for the redeemed that He does not have for the rest of the world. “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated” (Romans 9:13).

[Adapted from R.C. Sproul's, Everyone’s a Theologian]
Some call it Sophia Grace and Phronesis Grace too, but that’s just jargon. Jargon that has everything in common but the way one looks at it. Dedication to terms that doesn’t allow for the commonality isn’t much help. jm2c

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some call it Sophia Grace and Phronesis Grace too, but that’s just jargon. Jargon that has everything in common but that way one looks at it. Dedication to terms that doesn’t allow for the commonality isn’t much help. jm2c
commonality? We aren't entitled to grace so where's the commonality come into play outside of not deserving it?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And what do you think the bible is saying to repent OF there?

If Easy Way Salvationists are confident in their beliefs, why do they constantly stop in to try and reinforce them?

Who are you trying to convince anyway? :)

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your interpretation. Haven't seen "common" and "saving" grace distinguished as such before. And Jer 31:31-34 has historically been understood as applying to all of humanity, the Church being the new Israel. But there's always something new I guess.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey if God so loved the world I think we’re all entitled to grace.
Then you'd be wrong, biblically speaking. What you just pushed is the entitlement mentality. Grace isn't an entitlement. Grace is undeserved favor. So if its undeserved where do you find your entitlement to something you don't deserve.? God isn't obligated to do anything to include grant anyone grace. I love my children but they aren't entitled to any grace I may extend to him. Im not obligated to love them either, even though I do love them. God is not obligated to love his creation just because of its one of his many attributes.

Upvote 0