Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, a Republican and "Freedom Caucus" member, resigned yesterday after the House initiated an ethics investigation as a result of sexual harassment claims by two former staff members:

Franks said he and his wife have struggled with infertility, and that his "discussion of surrogacy" with the two women while in the workplace had "caused distress."

"It is so important that we get this right for everyone, especially for victims," Franks said in the statement. "But in the midst of this current cultural and media climate, I am deeply convinced I would be unable to complete a fair House Ethics investigation before distorted and sensationalized versions of this story would put me, my family, my staff, and my noble colleagues in the House of Representatives through hyperbolized public excoriation."

While Franks sought to cast the complaints as without merit, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said he found them "credible claims of misconduct."

I suspect there is more to the story for him to resign, but I will give him credit for taking personal responsibility for his actions once confronted....which is more than we can say for many other members of Congress and the Executive Branch.

Trent Franks stepping down from Congress amid complaints from 2 former female staffers

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect there is more to the story for him to resign, but I will give him credit for taking personal responsibility for his actions once confronted....which is more than we can say for many other members of Congress and the Executive Branch.

Agreed. Nixon had the decency to resign before being impeached, whereas Clinton thumbed his nose at impeachment and remained in office after being impeached.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really understand how asking women to be surrogates qualifies as harassment. Maybe there's more to it.

A boss asking a female employee to have his baby would make any woman feel uncomfortable, but I agree, I think there are more details that have not been revealed.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
A boss asking a female employee to have his baby would make any woman feel uncomfortable, but I agree, I think there are more details that have not been revealed.
If ... he did that.

Funny how quickly one jumps to conclusions.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If ... he did that.

Funny how quickly one jumps to conclusions.

He already acknowledged that he did have that conversation:

"I have recently learned that the Ethics Committee is reviewing an inquiry regarding my discussion of surrogacy with two previous female subordinates, making each feel uncomfortable. I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress."

Full text of Arizona Rep. Trent Franks' resignation letter

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I can understand that sentiment. Some folks might have difficulty. You are potentially pressuring a woman to use her body for gratification. Just because there's no sexual overtones doesn't really change the substance of the issue. That sounds rather stark but that is how it could play out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't really understand how asking women to be surrogates qualifies as harassment. Maybe there's more to it.
maybe it was the way he asked?

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He already acknowledged that he did have that conversation:

"I have recently learned that the Ethics Committee is reviewing an inquiry regarding my discussion of surrogacy with two previous female subordinates, making each feel uncomfortable. I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress."

Full text of Arizona Rep. Trent Franks' resignation letter
Curiously, it doesn't say that he asked them to father his child.

Did you happen to notice that?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW, in this parade of depravity its good to remember we are all sinners. We expect alot from our leaders, perhaps too much. Maybe we should be focused more on competence rather than moral rectitude and purity?

• Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Well, presumably he would have asked them to mother his child.

It's pretty clear he doesn't want an investigation, so let's just accept his story and let him resign quietly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Nixon had the decency to resign before being impeached, whereas Clinton thumbed his nose at impeachment and remained in office after being impeached.

Well, that is what happens when the Senate finds you not guilty. Who would have thought that the law was so complicated?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I did not notice because the fathering part is not in question (or are you suggesting otherwise?).
He did ask the employees to have their baby - presumably using in vitro fertilization.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand the issue. If he were looking for a surrogate, he would have to bring up the question to women he was approaching. If they said no and that was the end of it, then I'm not seeing how this qualifies as harassment. Unless there is a rule of the women being employees and this not permitted. I can definitely see how that would be awkward, but surprised it's falling under the sexual harassment line.

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I did not notice because the fathering part is not in question (or are you suggesting otherwise?).
He did ask the employees to have their baby - presumably using in vitro fertilization.
Nope.

Your quote didn't say what you think it said and I don't see that in the article anywhere.

Upvote 0