Renowned philosopher signs petition calling on bishops to investigate Pope for heresy

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I wonder. Would there be jealousy in Heaven? For me, it won't matter. No matter how long I might live after Mrs. Barbarian, there will never another like her.
I think there is a Biblical answer, given by some guy named Jesus. I'm not sure of every detail of it but it seems like marriage might be too small of a way of looking at it. We will all be spending an eternity with each other.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The usual CCD answer, per Father Greener, about 56 year ago was:
"We'll all be so attracted to the absolute goodness and perfection of God that we will have no other cares."

"Ya mean I'm going to be sitting around, just looking at God?"

"Yes."

I don't really care; I assume whatever He has in mind for us is the best thing it could possibly be.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"We'll all be so attracted to the absolute goodness and perfection of God that we will have no other cares."

"Yes."

I don't really care; I assume whatever He has in mind for us is the best thing it could possibly be.
And I think we will have many other cares, but they will be well ordered cares, with plenty of time for them within the centrality of just looking at God. For example I will get to scuba dive all the coral reefs and praise God for everything I see there. Or so I hope. But if I'm wrong and you are right, I'll not complain.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Once, a Southern Baptist died and went on to Heaven. His angel was waiting for him when he arrived. "Come on in, there's so much have here to show you. Welcome to an eternity of pardise."

They walked down beautiful city streets, with spotless white buildings and lovely yards. Everyone they met greeted him with joy and blissful, peaceful expressions.

"This is everything I've hoped for, said the man; it's perfection."

The angel smiled and nodded.

After a while, they came to a stone wall that seemed to rise forever. There was a door in the wall. Before the angel could stop him, the man opened the door.

From within came a blast of loud music, and raucous laughter. There was a definite odor of alcoholic beverages.

The angel quickly shut the door.

"What was THAT?"

"Nothing to worry about. "

"But what WAS that?"

The angel sighed. "It's the rest of heaven. It's where we put the Catholics."

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

"Yes."

But most of us believe we will be looking at God as his glory is also manifest in unique ways in all of his saints, which would include, of course, our spouse, if we are among those couples who could receive it. St. John Chrysostom is on the list of many who have such an understanding:

"... Well! The affection which you be stowed on him [deceased husband] you can keep now just as you formerly did.

For such is the power of love, it embraces, and unites, and fastens together not only those who are present, and near, and visible but also those who are far distant; and neither length of time, nor separation in space, nor anything else of that kind can break up and sunder in pieces the affection of the soul. But if you wish to behold him face to face (for this I know is what you specially long for) keep your bed in his honour sacred from the touch of any other man, and do your best to manifest a life like his, and then assuredly you shall depart one day to join the same company with him, not to dwell with him for five years as you did here, nor for 20, or 100, nor for a thousand or twice that number but for infinite and endless ages. For it is not any physical relation, but a correspondence in the way of living which qualifies for the inheritance of those regions of rest. For if it was identity of moral constitution which brought Lazarus although a stranger to Abraham into the same heavenly bosom with him, and qualifies many from east and west to sit down with him, the place of rest will receive you also with the good Therasius, if you will exhibit the same manner of life as his, and then you shall receive him back again no longer in that corporeal beauty which he had when he departed, but in lustre of another kind, and splendour outshining the rays of the sun. For this body, even if it reaches a very high standard of beauty is nevertheless perishable; but the bodies of those who have been well pleasing to God, will be invested with such glory as these eyes cannot even look upon. And God has furnished us with certain tokens, and obscure indications of these things both in the Old and in the New Dispensation. For in the former the face of Moses shone with such glory as to be intolerable to the eyes of the Israelites, and in the New the face of Christ shone far more brilliantly than his. For tell me if any one had promised to make your husband king of all the earth, and then had commanded you to withdraw for twenty years on his account, and had promised after that to restore him to you with the diadem and the purple, and to place you again in the same rank with him, would you not have meekly endured the separation with due self-control? Would you not have been well pleased with the gift, and deemed it a thing worth praying for? Well then submit to this now, not for the sake of a kingdom on earth, but of a kingdom in Heaven; not to receive him back clad in a vesture of gold but robed in immortality and glory such as is fitting for them to have who dwell in Heaven. And if you find the trial very unbearable owing to its long duration, it may be that he will visit you by means of visions and converse with you as he was wont to do, and show you the face for which you yearn: let this be your consolation taking the place of letters, though indeed it is far more definite than letters. For in the latter case there are but lines traced with the pen to look upon, but in the former you see the form of his visage, and his gentle smile, his figure and his movements, you hear his speech and recognize the voice which you loved so well."
(Letter to a Young Widow)

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But most of us believe we will be looking at God as his glory is also manifest in unique ways in all of his saints, which would include, of course, our spouse, if we are among those couples who could receive it. St. John Chrysostom is on the list of many who have such an understanding:

"... Well! The affection which you be stowed on him [deceased husband] you can keep now just as you formerly did.

For such is the power of love, it embraces, and unites, and fastens together not only those who are present, and near, and visible but also those who are far distant; and neither length of time, nor separation in space, nor anything else of that kind can break up and sunder in pieces the affection of the soul. But if you wish to behold him face to face (for this I know is what you specially long for) keep your bed in his honour sacred from the touch of any other man, and do your best to manifest a life like his, and then assuredly you shall depart one day to join the same company with him, not to dwell with him for five years as you did here, nor for 20, or 100, nor for a thousand or twice that number but for infinite and endless ages. For it is not any physical relation, but a correspondence in the way of living which qualifies for the inheritance of those regions of rest. For if it was identity of moral constitution which brought Lazarus although a stranger to Abraham into the same heavenly bosom with him, and qualifies many from east and west to sit down with him, the place of rest will receive you also with the good Therasius, if you will exhibit the same manner of life as his, and then you shall receive him back again no longer in that corporeal beauty which he had when he departed, but in lustre of another kind, and splendour outshining the rays of the sun. For this body, even if it reaches a very high standard of beauty is nevertheless perishable; but the bodies of those who have been well pleasing to God, will be invested with such glory as these eyes cannot even look upon. And God has furnished us with certain tokens, and obscure indications of these things both in the Old and in the New Dispensation. For in the former the face of Moses shone with such glory as to be intolerable to the eyes of the Israelites, and in the New the face of Christ shone far more brilliantly than his. For tell me if any one had promised to make your husband king of all the earth, and then had commanded you to withdraw for twenty years on his account, and had promised after that to restore him to you with the diadem and the purple, and to place you again in the same rank with him, would you not have meekly endured the separation with due self-control? Would you not have been well pleased with the gift, and deemed it a thing worth praying for? Well then submit to this now, not for the sake of a kingdom on earth, but of a kingdom in Heaven; not to receive him back clad in a vesture of gold but robed in immortality and glory such as is fitting for them to have who dwell in Heaven. And if you find the trial very unbearable owing to its long duration, it may be that he will visit you by means of visions and converse with you as he was wont to do, and show you the face for which you yearn: let this be your consolation taking the place of letters, though indeed it is far more definite than letters. For in the latter case there are but lines traced with the pen to look upon, but in the former you see the form of his visage, and his gentle smile, his figure and his movements, you hear his speech and recognize the voice which you loved so well."
(Letter to a Young Widow)

Well said. And I think you are right.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A person commits heresy, when he knows an error is contrary to Church doctrine, and stubbornly persists in the error, while profession to be within the Church.

St. Thomas (II-II:11:1) defines heresy: "a species of infidelity in men who, having professed the faith of Christ, corrupt its dogmas". "The right Christian faith consists in giving one's voluntary assent to Christ in all that truly belongs to His teaching. There are, therefore, two ways of deviating from Christianity: the one by refusing to believe in Christ Himself, which is the way of infidelity, common to Pagans and Jews; the other by restricting belief to certain points of Christ's doctrine selected and fashioned at pleasure, which is the way of heretics.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Heresy

It should be noted that the Church does not consider Jews to be infidels.
Ref. Lumen Gentium

That had not been defined in dogma at the time Thomas wrote the above.

Upvote 0