Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know the rule is that deacons and priests is that they cant remarry if their wife passes away. However, has anyone heard of an exception to that rule for a young clergyman with children? Years ago, I thought that I had heard about a priest with children whose wife was killed in a car accident and that his bishop had permitted him to remarry a couple years later. Someone in real life was asking if there were any circumstances that a priest could remarry.
Brian

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of my friends was asking about married clergy in the Orthodox church. As I had remembered the general canon is, "no". However, I had remember hearing, probably when I became Orthodox in 2002, about a widowed priest who had received his bishop's blessing to remarry as his children were only 2-3 years old and he was in his mid-20s when his wife had a car accident.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know one young deacon whose wife passed away very suddenly, leaving him and their 1 year old behind. I have no idea if he would be granted permission for remarriage, but I dont believe he has done so yet, and she died at least 4 years ago. Some may, some may not. My priest growing up lost his wife to cancer and they had 2 small boys. He never remarried, and passed away when I was in my teens.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, I just was wondering if there had been exceptions made due to extraordinary circumstances.

It would definately be 'extraordinary circumstances' simply for the reason I outlined in my previous post. I know of an unmarried parish priest who was a 'rising star' in the GOARCH. He met someone and asked the synod to be laicized. The bishop pleaded with him to reconsider, but his mind was made and they had no choice but to defrock him. The lady he met was a divorced parishioner who pursued him. In a discussion with a monk, he once told me its not unheard of where a single woman becomes infatuated with her spiritual father. This is part of a greater discussion as to why many monks and bishops are not keen on 'celibate' priests. An unmarried priest should be a monastic, meaning he has some spiritual disciplinein the dispassion of the flesh.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A priest remarrying basically means he was dating one of his parishioners, always a bad idea.

I agree it would be a bad idea to marry a parishioner, but the situation mentioned does not necessarily indicate that the woman he married was a member of his parish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know one young deacon whose wife passed away very suddenly, leaving him and their 1 year old behind. I have no idea if he would be granted permission for remarriage, but I dont believe he has done so yet, and she died at least 4 years ago. Some may, some may not. My priest growing up lost his wife to cancer and they had 2 small boys. He never remarried, and passed away when I was in my teens.

That wouldnt happen to have been someone up in the Boston area would it?
Brian

Upvote 0