• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Remarriage for deacon or priest

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by GreekOrthodox, Aug 13, 2013.

1. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,402
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I know the rule is that deacons and priests is that they cant remarry if their wife passes away. However, has anyone heard of an exception to that rule for a young clergyman with children? Years ago, I thought that I had heard about a priest with children whose wife was killed in a car accident and that his bishop had permitted him to remarry a couple years later. Someone in real life was asking if there were any circumstances that a priest could remarry.
    Brian

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,293
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I believe this took place under the Antiochans. Of course this is not the norm and highly controversial.

A priest remarrying basically means he was dating one of his parishioners, always a bad idea.

3. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+780
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, it has happened. Bishop can apply economia as he sees fit and it's not really any of our business to second guess him.

4. GreekOrthodox

+2,402
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks, I just was wondering if there had been exceptions made due to extraordinary circumstances.

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,887
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    hmm, never heard of that. tis interesting. just outta curiousity, why do you ask?

6. GreekOrthodox

+2,402
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    One of my friends was asking about married clergy in the Orthodox church. As I had remembered the general canon is, "no". However, I had remember hearing, probably when I became Orthodox in 2002, about a widowed priest who had received his bishop's blessing to remarry as his children were only 2-3 years old and he was in his mid-20s when his wife had a car accident.

7. choirfiend

choirfiend Senior Veteran Supporter

+498
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I know one young deacon whose wife passed away very suddenly, leaving him and their 1 year old behind. I have no idea if he would be granted permission for remarriage, but I dont believe he has done so yet, and she died at least 4 years ago. Some may, some may not. My priest growing up lost his wife to cancer and they had 2 small boys. He never remarried, and passed away when I was in my teens.

8. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,293
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It would definately be 'extraordinary circumstances' simply for the reason I outlined in my previous post. I know of an unmarried parish priest who was a 'rising star' in the GOARCH. He met someone and asked the synod to be laicized. The bishop pleaded with him to reconsider, but his mind was made and they had no choice but to defrock him. The lady he met was a divorced parishioner who pursued him. In a discussion with a monk, he once told me its not unheard of where a single woman becomes infatuated with her spiritual father. This is part of a greater discussion as to why many monks and bishops are not keen on 'celibate' priests. An unmarried priest should be a monastic, meaning he has some spiritual disciplinein the dispassion of the flesh.

9. InnerPhyre

InnerPhyre Well-Known Member

+1,409
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree it would be a bad idea to marry a parishioner, but the situation mentioned does not necessarily indicate that the woman he married was a member of his parish.

10. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,351
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It could be an arranged marriage, not necessarily the result of dating.

11. GreekOrthodox

+2,402
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married

That wouldnt happen to have been someone up in the Boston area would it?
    Brian