• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Remaining Christlike and resisting temptation

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, I have some problems i'd like to know how to deal with...

First off, I'm trying to become more Christlike, even though I won't be fully like Christ. I try my best to reduce my sins and be kind to everyone. However i'm having a lot of trouble with it, which is explained in my second question...

I, being a teenager in high school, am having problems with lust. Our school unfortunately doesn't enforce the dress code and thus, girls can wear short (very short) pants and even tanktops... And when they don't show skin, they wear extremely tight clothes.
You can kinda understand the situation i'm in. I'm sick and tired of having lustful thoughts. Everytime something pops in my head, I try to fight it and try to resist it, however that, for some reason only makes it worse.
The spiritual side of me wants to resist the thoughts, yet the human side doesn't.
However, my problem is this... Whenever i'm tempted with things like lust, I either look away, or pray, or even quote scriptures in my head... However, none of this seems to be working. It's only getting worse and worse. I'm tired of having these terrible, evil thoughts in my head.

Could some of you provide some spiritual support from me? Thanks in advance...

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are confusing lust with sexual arousal. The two are different.

You will have sexual feelings and reactions to sexual stimuli as a teenager. That's unavoidable. The way some girls dress does not help, but that's the situation today. So, you just cannot decide "no sexual reaction." That is the equivalent of saying "I will never eat again" then wonder why you feel hungry.

Lust is a conscious decision to act on a sexual desire outside of God's standards. It involves deliberate choice, not an involuntary reaction.

The sequence, pretty girl-nice figure-deep cleavage-erection is a conditioned response to a socially conditioned sexual stimulus. Pleasant, but unwanted but there. Lust is deciding to move from there into intimate sexual behaviour, or really wanting to given the opportunity.

I hope you can see the difference. We all have to live with our sexuality and its urges. The issue is what we do with it. Holiness is not being asexual, which is often implied by some Christian teaching.

Can you see the difference?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

chilibowl

Mar 9, 2005
at home
✟352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Brother Johnnz Princapal is still aplicable here.. even though your moving into a realm of lust you still have to take your age and physical developement into consideration.. and there is a book "Every young mans battle" that explains all of this. you can get it through new life.com or even at local christian book stores.. this book is written to struggling young men in you exact position it covers alot of instances and princapals... If you can get a copy of this book and take the time to read it IT Will change your life!

GLGB

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
88Devin07 said:
First off, I'm trying to become more Christlike
That's your problem right there.

However much you try and no matter how good a life you manage to live, doesn't mean much to God. Jesus said your righteousness had to far exceed that of the pharisees, who did keep the law and gave to the poor and fasted and all.
It doesn't depend on you but on Jesus. Save yourself the trouble and give up. Then you'll see how Jesus will transform your will, your actions, your entire life. You're a child to God, He doesn't expect you to know everything and be able to live perfectly. Take your time to grow, and rest assured you're already clean in Jesus.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
holo, it takes a lot more than repentance to enter the kingdom of God. You have to actually try your best to live like Jesus wants you too...

God's goal is to make it so we all become like Jesus. it won't be accomplished till the end of time but it is possible to live more like Christ. Just look at the late Pope John Paul II and the late Mother Theresa.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
88Devin07 said:
holo, it takes a lot more than repentance to enter the kingdom of God. You have to actually try your best to live like Jesus wants you too...

God's goal is to make it so we all become like Jesus. it won't be accomplished till the end of time but it is possible to live more like Christ. Just look at the late Pope John Paul II and the late Mother Theresa.
Noooooo! That's one of the worst misunderstandings christians suffer under today!

Your efforts can never ever meet God's requirements, no matter how good you are. Remember the sermon on the mount. That's how good you'd have to be. You'd have to rip out your eye and chop off your arm.

Only JESUS can do it, and He has already accomplished it! Consider the fact that He paid the price while you were still a sinner - your flesh has no more strenght now than before you knew Christ. Paul said to live according to the Spirit and not according to law, and our problem is that even after we've recieved God's mercy we try to go back to living a good and right life on our own. As long as YOU try, you're not letting Jesus do it. See my point?

That's how I got rid of my addictions, be it to inappropriate content, drugs, a judging mentality, low self-confidence, everything. I simply gave up. It's a good thing if you can force yourself to be good in regards to lust, but then what? Which of the millions of sins and shortcomings will you deal with next? Jesus came to set you free from all that!

You're right, though; God's goal is to make us Christ-like. But how? Certainly not through OUR works and efforts. Only God can do it. Like one psalm says, if God doesn't build the house, the building workers labour for nothing.
It doesn't matter if you'r building the nicest and safest house in the world - if it's not of God, it's useless. Think about it.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
holo, we will become like Jesus, but that won't be until the End Of Time... Remember our New Bodies. Those won't be earthly bodies, and Satan won't have a hold on us anymore. Because of Christ, we will have been sinless and forgiven. We would be like Christ without the divinity and power.

But yes I understand what you are saying. My point was though, we will become like Christ, but it won't be till the end of days. (and remember, it's "like" Christ, we won't be the same as him, no one can ever be the same as God.)

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
88Devin07 said:
and Satan won't have a hold on us anymore.
Satan DOESN'T have a hold on us, Jesus already took his power on the cross.
The clue here is that, as the bible says, as a man thinks, so he is. Think of yourself as a sinner, and you'll sin. Think it's up to you, it will feel like it's up to you. Skim through the NT and see how we're described as saints, righteous, clean, justified. Jesus and Paul and God and the bible at large does NOT call you a sinner.
88Devin07 said:
Because of Christ, we will have been sinless and forgiven.
We ARE sinless and forgiven!

You ARE clean! You are a child of God, by faith. Your faith doesn't depend on your actions, it's the other way around - believe that you're clean and you'll act clean. Refuse to listen to the devil's accusations, nothing is better for him than us walking around as living dead, doing nothing but complaining and worrying about our sins.

Let Jesus renew your mind. You can be 100% free in regards to everything, by God's mercy.
You are clean, you are a child of God, you are in Jesus, Jesus is in you, you're a new creation, born again, born of Spirit, who can't sin, you don't have to live according to law, but according to grace. Grace sets you free.
It's a totally new, opposite way to think and live, than the christianity I grew up in.

I'm not just looking to win an argument, I just know that I had to hear these things for like six months before they started to sink in. And if I have to post this every day for six months for you to realize it, I will, because this freedom is worth more than anything you can even imagine.

You are clean and free. Clean and free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grace-2

Jul 29, 2004
missouri
✟8,315.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
88Devin07 said:

I am looking at pope john paul 11 and I just don't agree with you . I don't want to go into this really, because it will cause alot of arguing. I just will say he was a mere human and suffered with this very thing especially supossedly being celebant.

yes, we are to try to walk in Jesus steps. but we can't fully. in the day we go to the Lord( if we are his child) he will change us. it is not our doing but what Christ did on that cross. He took upon himself all (notice I said)-- ALL our sins and placed them with in his own self. for the redemption of sins for us.

now God knows all our thoughts he also knows how hard we try to be what he wants us to be. so just keep in mind that you are Jesus boy and he will do the rest. If you want to you can do this ( you may have already)repentance then ask God almighty to help you to be whom he wants you to be. and he certainly will. In Jesus name of course. :amen:

Upvote 0

grace-2

Jul 29, 2004
missouri
✟8,315.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
88Devin07 said:
I know they were still human, but they did a lot more than most humans... Could you forgive the man who almost killed you? Refuse to be guarded and actually hold him in your arms while you were speaking to him?

Anyhow...

thanks holo for the help :)

Yes, I can do that! Forgiveness is what God wants from us. because if we can't forgive we won't be forgiven.

The reason why for this is because it is good for my soul to forgive. And , if someone wrongs me it isn't my problem.

Upvote 0