✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Finally, got the bullets I wanted!!!

Over a year ago I got a brand new Zastava 6.5 x 55 (nice rifle and unbeatable value BTW) and bought brass but could not find any Sierra 120 gr. Match Kings, so I settled for some Serbian HPBT 120 gr, and found some Hornady 95 gr. V-Tip. Both were OK, but I have been a fan of Sierra Match Kings for 6.5 X 55 since I first owned a rifle in this caliber almost 40 years ago.

Most places are still sold out or selling for about $80.00/box of 100. This is what I paid; in US dollars, that would be about $40.00:

upload_2021-10-30_6-57-58.png

No problem getting components for hand gun.

Are you guys having any more luck getting stuff that you want for reloading?

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Currently I am occupied with reloading 9mm, still working my way through a 8lb canister of WW231, 115 gr RNLB have come in, primers.. still using up the abundance I have acquired ( hoarded) over the years.
I have more large rifle primers than I will ever use, wish I could get some to someone who could use them.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s a great find! Why is Sierra being so slow? I like 120 grain in my rifle too, but have found some 100 grains that I am going to like. What’s your twist in the barrel?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Currently I am occupied with reloading 9mm, still working my way through a 8lb canister of WW231, 115 gr RNLB have come in, primers.. still using up the abundance I have acquired ( hoarded) over the years.
I have more large rifle primers than I will ever use, wish I could get some to someone who could use them.
HP 38 for me same as 231, love it, very clean, soft shooting and accurate in all my reloads, but a bit fast for loading .357 full magnum loads. Meters well too.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That’s a great find! Why is Sierra being so slow? I like 120 grain in my rifle too, but have found some 100 grains that I am going to like. What’s your twist in the barrel?
Barrel is 1:9 in the Zastava; quite fast, so 120-160 gr should all shoot well; however, still OK with hot 85-100 gr. loads too. I like a shorter jump so 120-140 gr. are my choice for both target and varmint.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Barrel is 1:9 in the Zastava; quite fast, so 120-160 gr should all shoot well; however, still OK with hot 85-100 gr. loads too. I like a shorter jump so 120-140 gr. are my choice for both target and varmint.

I’m shooting an antique so I have to keep the pressure low. I tried87-120 gr and I like the velocity I’m getting, and more accurate. There are some .262 bullets on gunbroker. They would lessen the heating up of my barrel. It likes those .263-262 s.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I’m shooting an antique so I have to keep the pressure low. I tried87-120 gr and I like the velocity I’m getting, and more accurate. There are some .262 bullets on gunbroker. They would lessen the heating up of my barrel. It likes those .263-262 s.
Have you thought about hard cast lubed bullets with gas checks? A lot of us shot those in surplus rifles back in the day, with great success.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you thought about hard cast lubed bullets with gas checks? A lot of us shot those in surplus rifles back in the day, with great success.

it’s not a surplus rifle, it’s a hunting rifle with a m95 receiver, made in Germany . It has a 256 bore and 268 grooves. I tried some lead but it sounded funny. So I switched to jackets. Like em.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
lead pistols bullets seal better than jacketed, I would think that would be the same for rifle, not sure what "sounded funny" would indicate if not that, especially if there were no others signs of problems.
Lyman used to speak of using miltary cartridges with about 10 grains of Unigue or some fast pistol powder and light lead bullets, just for plinking fun.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
lead pistols bullets seal better than jacketed, I would think that would be the same for rifle, not sure what "sounded funny" would indicate if not that, especially if there were no others signs of problems.
Lyman used to speak of using miltary cartridges with about 10 grains of Unigue or some fast pistol powder and light lead bullets, just for plinking fun.
Lubed lead have less resistance in a barrel, so less powder for the same velocity is almost always the rule in both pistol and rifle... or more velocity out of the same powder.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were .269 bullets, deeper sound, like pressure behind them possibly, though no leading except a little around muzzle and not accurate. Isn’t that a little much a .013 cut .0065 on either side of bullet because of rifling? But not too hard and I hear they don’t work sometimes on ‘gun boards’.

Could be used ( unique) in almost any cartridge but not 10 grs. My friend believes in it using it in 30-30 .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I decreased the load and shot it with 165 grain lead lubed and gas checked. Should I decrease load a little more of imr 4895 or work up. It is a nice rifle and was intended for 160 gr .262 jacketed bullets. I bought those .262s on gunbroker because I wanted to see how they shoot. Lead seems like uncooperative unless you guys know how I should go about making them work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Finally, got the bullets I wanted!!!

Over a year ago I got a brand new Zastava 6.5 x 55 (nice rifle and unbeatable value BTW) and bought brass but could not find any Sierra 120 gr. Match Kings, so I settled for some Serbian HPBT 120 gr, and found some Hornady 95 gr. V-Tip. Both were OK, but I have been a fan of Sierra Match Kings for 6.5 X 55 since I first owned a rifle in this caliber almost 40 years ago.

Most places are still sold out or selling for about $80.00/box of 100. This is what I paid; in US dollars, that would be about $40.00:

View attachment 307849

No problem getting components for hand gun.

Are you guys having any more luck getting stuff that you want for reloading?

Havent been able to get small rifle primers is over a year. This is nuts.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Havent been able to get small rifle primers is over a year. This is nuts.
Over the past year and a half the odd dealer might be sold out of one brand or the other , but I have had no issues getting large and small pistol, large, small rifle in standard or magnum. Sellers and Bellot have been harder to find, but lots of Federal, CCI and Winchester available here. Cabelas Canada has about every kind in stock presently. Projectiles are still hard to find. IMR and Hodgdon power is also available again, but I think it is manufactured in Canada.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Over the past year and a half the odd dealer might be sold out of one brand or the other , but I have had no issues getting large and small pistol, large, small rifle in standard or magnum. Sellers and Bellot have been harder to find, but lots of Federal, CCI and Winchester available here. Cabelas Canada has about every kind in stock presently. Projectiles are still hard to find. IMR and Hodgdon power is also available again, but I think it is manufactured in Canada.

I doubt I could get them through customs :D

Upvote 0