Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A belief based on 1 study by a guy that was found to have lied in 1997, yet the study didn't even get much attention until many years later.

-_- furthermore, that demands extreme ignorance about autism. Autistic people show symptoms as early as six months of age, and to be blunt, I highly doubt a child older than 2 would have any risk of developing it as a newly acquired disorder. A 10 year old most certainly won't, yet anti-vax people act as if age is irrelevant to autism. Also, anyone that would rather risk their child die from the flu and spread it to other kids over their kid becoming autistic doesn't deserve that child.
I know that. You know that.

But my point is there are thousands out there who reject anything that refutes their belief on this subject. They are scared to death of immunizations.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know that. You know that.

But my point is there are thousands out there who reject anything that refutes their belief on this subject. They are scared to death of immunizations.
And their ignorance, unfortunately, puts other people in danger. Not just themselves or and their kids, but anyone around them that relies on herd immunity to not die of these illnesses. Heck, society as a whole can suffer greatly from massive epidemics, and I'd rather not experience a rerun of the Spanish Flu of 1918... you've got to be kidding me, if you Google search it with the date, one of the top searches is "Spanish Flu of 1918 caused by vaccines".

Ugh, flu vaccines didn't even exist until 20 years after that, and at the time, people thought the flu was caused by a bacterium.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd rather not experience a rerun of the Spanish Flu of 1918... you've got to be kidding me, if you Google search it with the date, one of the top searches is "Spanish Flu of 1918 caused by vaccines".
A popular jump rope rhyme from the day:

I have a little bird
His name is Enza
I opened up a window
And in flew Enza

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is not so much about the immunizations not working as it is the point they believe is immunizations cause other serious damage like autism.
I think the point is some people believed those studies more becuase they had personal beliefs that may have stemmed from their experience that immunisation was harmful. This may be similar to why some do not allow their child to do certain things because they believe it will harm their child. I do not think they are blanatntly wanting to harm their child but rather protect their child though their beliefs may be wrong. This is opposed to those who want to intentionally harm children so I think there is a difference. Some cases may be more obvious than others such as denying medical treatmment that has been proven to help or save a child. But there are many grey areas where I think people should have the right to decide for themselves such as perhaps denying a child participate in certain events or practcies which the parents think may be no good for the way they want their child to grow up.

For adults this is different because people can say they are old enough to make up their own minds. But for children people begin to get more protective because they think the parent is forcing their beliefs onto the child. The problem is there is no law on morals and as Christians parents want to protect their kids from what they see as the breakdown in societies morals. This can be against a mainstream secular society that may view these parents as being abusive and denying children the freedom to be who they want to be or push restrictive ways of living that denies children or teenagers their rights compared to how most kids in society live. As time goes by mainstream society will see religious practcies as out of step with what is happening and best and this is where it will become harder for anyone to practcietheir beliefs and for children to see the sense in this because they will have all their peers telling them they are out of line.

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
  • Haha
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, some do say that vaccinations reduce IQ, and atheists aren't really renowned for being critical thinkers.

Perhaps there is a correlation, if not a cause and effect relationship? :)
You know what can really reduce intelligence? Extended high fevers.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not think they are blanatntly wanting to harm their child but rather protect their child though their beliefs may be wrong. This is opposed to those who want to intentionally harm children so I think there is a difference.
I agree. They are just too doctrinaire and closed minded for their (or any one else's) good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The choice to immunise or not, has zero to do with one religious beliefs. What it is about though is an ill informed choice to go against all evidence and recommendations made by those with the expertise.

That said, how is this being related to the OP?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, some people have religious objections to immunisation. Some people have religious objections, not to immunisation in general, but to particular methods of vaccine production (eg. those which involve using cells derived from embryos, or from pigs).

I'd even be willing to accommodate those people with genuine religious objection (who are a tiny minority), if we could deal with the people who refuse not out of a well-informed conscience but from ignorance and being manipulated and lied to.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0