jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What the Hiring of Anthony Scaramucci Tells Us About President Trump

I really am getting more and more worried how the Religious Right has done a lot to rationalize Trump and overlook his unChristian behavior. They say it's because he has a fondness for conservative Christianity, and is just in the working process but it really seems to be more about excusing the man rather than think about how he just might pandering to get their votes.

As this article by Michael Brown shows, he really seems to go out of his way to say that God will use Trump to help further the goals of his mission. At this point, one can say they seem to care more about politics than actually the moral integrity of the man because it seems if Trump was still on the Democrat's side they would be chiding him more.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really am getting more and more worried how the Religious Right has done a lot to rationalize Trump and overlook his unChristian behavior.
Perhaps you could share some examples of what you personally believe is his unChristian behavior, why you view it as unChristian, and why you worry about the "Religious Right"?

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you could share some examples of what you personally believe is his unChristian behavior, why you view it as unChristian, and why you worry about the "Religious Right"?

His little display at the Boy Scout's Jamoboree really is a big example of how really unChristian he is and how the Religious Right as always is trying to downplay it as him being a baby Christian. Or the fact that he always seems to be vengeful against people when they insult him. And people like Michael Brown will rationalize it as being him just being not used to be Christian like. It's that kind of thinking that is making people think they care more about how he can cater to their politics than holding him accountable.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I really am getting more and more worried how the Religious Right has done a lot to rationalize Trump and overlook his unChristian behavior. They say it's because he has a fondness for conservative Christianity, and is just in the working process but it really seems to be more about excusing the man rather than think about how he just might pandering to get their votes. .
Some on the Right may say that...and their opponents on the Left will immediately charge pandering. However, there is no doubt that the Religious Right has no alternative when it comes to the issues of most concern to them--ending or reducing abortion and restoring religious liberty.

There is hardly any Democrat on the national stage who supports them on either one of these. In fact, the Democrats recently said that there is no room in their party for anyone who is pro-life.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some on the Right may say that...and their opponents on the Left will immediately charge pandering. However, there is no doubt that the Religious Right has no alternative when it comes to the issues of most concern to them--ending or reducing abortion and restoring religious liberty.

There is hardly any Democrat on the national stage who supports them on either one of these. In fact, the Democrats recently said that there is no room in their party for anyone who is pro-life.

I think it's more they have gotten addicted to politics, and have left their moral judgment at the door. They are willing to stroke the ego of a man, and not really hold him accountable to any moral standards like before.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's more they have gotten addicted to politics, and have left their moral judgment at the door. .

I know that that is the easy answer, but these people feel deeply enough about the lives of the unborn and the first amendment to take a lot of abuse for standing up for their principles. I am also certain that they would rather NOT have to worry about what goes on in the political arena, except that they feel a moral obligation not to let injustice rule if they can do anything about it.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with Albion that people vote for policies they consider essential, even when it's difficult. It would be easier to deal with Mike Pence. He just comes across as reasurringly normal compared to the narcissistic and volatile President we have now. Leadership matters.

So why did primary voters choose Trump instead of someone like Pence? They had umpteen candidates. They could have chosen a standard Goldwater-Reagan-Heritage Foundation conservative, and they would have had support for pro-life policies and religious liberty. They wanted the entertainer propped up by the mainstream media. He got the lion's share of coverage on cable news because his antics provoked emotional reactions, and boring normal political conservates couldn't compete with that. Ronald Reagan would have lost to Donald Trump in this environment.

Television is an entertainment medium, and cable news is no exception. There is a real problem with democracy when someone can get so much influence by being outrageous.

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His little display at the Boy Scout's Jamoboree really is a big example of how really unChristian he is
enlighten me, on just what he did that was unChristian , in your eye's. Just what president candidate was a Christian in your sight ?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The very fact that just six months ago, and maybe at this present time, is appealing a court order that he pay a contractor that provided supplies to him for Mar-a-Lago. It's all of $32,000 that he has owed this small paint shop business for a few years. The court heard the case, he was told to pay it, and he appeals.
Trump university was a scam, set up very much like Christian Science is.
Until he admits and apologizes to those he has cheated why should I have any confidence that he is any different.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I really am getting more and more worried how the Religious Right has done a lot to rationalize Trump and overlook his unChristian behavior. They say it's because he has a fondness for conservative Christianity, and is just in the working process but it really seems to be more about excusing the man rather than think about how he just might pandering to get their votes.

As this article by Michael Brown shows, he really seems to go out of his way to say that God will use Trump to help further the goals of his mission. At this point, one can say they seem to care more about politics than actually the moral integrity of the man because it seems if Trump was still on the Democrat's side they would be chiding him more.

I recently talked with my only two conservative evangelical friends about this issue. They are husband and wife. They said that they are literally disgusted with how their fellow conservative evangelicals are practically falling over themselves for Trump. They made it clear how disgusted they are with the way their fellow evangelicals bend over backwards to defend Trump, no matter how disturbing his behavior becomes. They expressed how they now feel ashamed to associate themselves with the Republican Party and how they feel that the current Republican Party under Trump no longer represents their Christian values. In fact, they're seriously considering leaving the Party because of this whole debacle with Trump and how their fellow evangelicals shamelessly support a man like him. They avidly agreed with me when I said I thought that evangelical Christianity and conservative politics have become indistinguishable since Trump came onto the political scene last year and it has been especially noticeable since he was elected president. So, long story short, you're not alone in your feelings about Trump expressed in your OP, although you and I, and my evangelical friends, may be in a minority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I recently talked with my only two conservative evangelical friends about this issue. They are husband and wife. They said that they are literally disgusted with how their fellow conservative evangelicals are practically falling over themselves for Trump. They made it clear how disgusted they are with the way their fellow evangelicals bend over backwards to defend Trump, no matter how disturbing his behavior becomes. They expressed how they now feel ashamed to associate themselves with the Republican Party and how they feel that the current Republican Party under Trump no longer represents their Christian values. In fact, they're seriously considering leaving the Party because of this whole debacle with Trump and how their fellow evangelicals shamelessly support a man like him. They avidly agreed with me when I said I thought that evangelical Christianity and conservative politics have become indistinguishable since Trump came onto the political scene last year and it has been especially noticeable since he was elected president. So, long story short, you're not alone in your feelings about Trump expressed in your OP, although you and I, and my evangelical friends, may very well be in a minority.

I still will vote Republican, because it does seem those in the party are getting more and more critical of Trump's governing and decisions. I think my biggest worry is the base itself, especially evangelical leaders who believe that selling themselves to Trump is going to be the stepping stone to achieving their goals. If you want to achieve your goals, then don't leave your cherished principles at the door. It's not worth it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I still will vote Republican, because it does seem those in the party are getting more and more critical of Trump's governing and decisions. I think my biggest worry is the base itself, especially evangelical leaders who believe that selling themselves to Trump is going to be the stepping stone to achieving their goals. If you want to achieve your goals, then don't leave your cherished principles at the door. It's not worth it.
FWIW, I honestly have no idea what this is all about. "Evangelical leaders....stepping stone to achieving their goals." What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Religious Right supports Trump and his staff because their pride is stoked by this terrible administration. I do not like the RR's cloaking themselves under the guise of righteousness by using the title Pro-Life. They are actually Pro-Birth, because they do not advance any initiatives dealing with the continued life of those after their birth that otherwise would be aborted.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Religious Right supports Trump and his staff because their pride is stoked by this terrible administration. I do not like the RR's cloaking themselves under the guise of righteousness by using the title Pro-Life. They are actually Pro-Birth, because they do not advance any initiatives dealing with the continued life of those after their birth that otherwise would be aborted.

I have seen many in the Pro-Life movement actually do their part in helping those even after birth. The Pro-Live movement like many is a diverse place than people think. However, I do think that the RR addiction to power is what has made it's undoing many times in the past.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Seems to me if Trump was both for to be a deacon in most conservative church that he would not be appointed/elected to that position. So I don't know why he is supported by evangelicals for president! If he doesn't have the qualities to be a deacon then how does he have the qualities to be president.
Some I know are one position voters, so if pro-life then OK .... ya, 10 of thousands my die because of not health insurance but we are working to stop abortions! Just doesn't seem like a loving position to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesuscentered

Jul 27, 2017
Ontario
✟10,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married

I personally don't believe that many in the "Christian Right" are truly Christian. It's more of a civil religion than an actual act of following Jesus. If Jesus was their focus, they would do the things that He taught instead of trying to look to a secular government to solve things that Jesus never told them to solve. My question is... Why would God use someone who does things so blatantly against what Jesus taught to be His representative to the world? A church I used to go to believes this to be true. The pastor literally said that Trump being elected president was a miracle from God. Seriously??? People need to read their Bibles. So many have forsaken Jesus.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't vote for Donald Trump because I thought he was a Christ follower. I voted for him because he was a better option than his opponent. I simple cannot and will not vote for someone who thinks murdering unborn babies is a right.
You make an excellent point. I would have preferred a different Republican candidate had won, but Trump is better than a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Trump is having some trouble making the adjustment from the business world to the political world, but his policies are more Christian than those offered by the liberal-left.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You make an excellent point. I would have preferred a different Republican candidate had won, but Trump is better than a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Trump is having some trouble making the adjustment from the business world to the political world, but his policies are more Christian than those offered by the liberal-left.

I don't see his policies anymore different from the liberal left. I can call him a wolf in sheep's clothing who is reeling people in by playing lip service, and people believe him with no question.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see his policies anymore different from the liberal left.
If you don't know the difference between Left & Right policies you need to do some more reading & listening.

I can call him a wolf in sheep's clothing who is reeling people in by playing lip service, and people believe him with no question.

Just as many people believe Trump's critics with no question.

After 8 years of Obama, many have recognized he was a wolf in sheep's clothing. After only 6 months of Trump I will hold off on rushing to judgment.

Upvote 0