Religious people: Did you feel any guilt when you lost your virginity?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Guilt is a complicated emotion. I have not set myself to study its purported clinical origins or treatments, and am not very familiar with what, if anything, sociology has to say about it. What I know is I tend to suffer it when I violate a stricture that people I respect expect out of me.

Ah. and when the people you don't respect expect it from you, you can violate it with no consequence?

The Bible makes the interesting point that, while we do not all share the same values, we all HAVE values. The point seems to be that there is no excuse for not learning and following God's values because, after all, we have values of our own.

Whoa there, friend -- you just took a bit of a leap there.

Having one's own values doesn't necessarily mean that one should arbitrarily follow someone else's instead -- quite the opposite, in fact.

So if values are ok to have, certainly they are ok for God to have, and since He's God it makes little sense to just ignore the possibility that God is out there and has some values He'd like you to observe.

What God and what values? Once more, please, with coherence.

In other words, everyone has a law. If you sin against god, with or without a law, you will perish, according to the Bible.

And since I don't follow the Bible and choose not to believe in the god represented therein, so what?

Now, having said that, if one does things that one knows others believe is wrong, and they do not feel guilt, they are not necessarily guilty!

Right -- because people don't automatically and arbitrarily follow others' values... I know there are things some people consider to be wrong that I don't give a rodent's posterior over.

Any reason I should?

People sometimes cling to poor values en masse. The individual in question could be clinging to a real and truthful value when society has given itself in general over to poor values.
And vice versa, of course. What's your point?

Still, there is also the kind of person who feels no guilt or shame because they just do not care about other people, much less how other people feel about their behavior. I believe this type of person fits into this mold

Assuming, of course, that those other people are deserving of any kind of consideration.

In any event, one way or the other, yes. You ought to feel guilty when you do something wrong.

But I didn't do anything wrong when I lost my virginity...

(Well, ok, truth be told, I did several things "wrong," but that was more due to inexperience than any kind of moral qualms.)

So, no wrongness, no guilt.

There are perfectly workable exceptions to deal with people who cave in to sex before marriage out of passion, youthful exuberance, whatever, even in the Old Testament.

And those who don't hold the rules to be applicable need not worry about the exceptions.

No one is talking here about the death penalty for sex before marriage.

No one is suggesting such a thing. The issue is guilt, not punishment.

But at some point, families rely on faithfulness between the man and woman so that they can place their commonly held resources in each other's hands with an expectation of not being abused, and work together to raise their children - the next generation.

Which has what to do with my question?

This system has a remarkable history of success, nor is it entirely new for people to propose more open systems. Nor is pure, unadulterated sexual license a new thing under the sun. All of these values have existed in the past, and have been practiced in the past. It's just that they do not work well.

Seems like none of the systems work well. People are individuals, not parts of any "system."

Whenever you finally put it all together that your sexual licentiousness adds to the unraveling of responsible sexual behavior in general, and leads to children being born unwanted, or just aborted or left to die as the ancients suggested, then you will at last understand why there might should be some modicum of guilt, even when in your own, specific case everything works out ok.

Ah, so all that is my fault, is it? That's why I should feel guilt?

As for me, as I said from the beginning, I bypassed guilt and moved straight to resentment, because I did what I did out of the understanding that there was nothing wrong with extra marital sex, and that it was a nearly universally wonderful thing.

well, like nearly any action, the good or evil lies in the intent, not in the act itself.

What you choose to resent is up to you.

Even the few people who pointed out that early sexual experiences are not always all that great went on to say, "but, you live and learn, and it's better to learn these things before you get married."

There is something to that.

So many misleading ideas and so much nonsense out there.

In here, too, from what I see.

And for me, I did not feel guilt until years later when I realized what the real problem was for me. It was not so much the having sex, as it was the lack of faith in God. I knew what the Bible taught, and did not trust that the Bible was trustworthy enough. So I ignored it, and by extension God, and did what the world around me said was right, and was not only deeply disappointed, but also became aware that a lot of things that the world doesn't even bother to mention were now forever lost to me, such as the possibility of sharing that level of intimacy always and only with one person, thus displaying physically that two can indeed be faithful to an ideal even before they meet, and by faith also remain true to each other and to that ideal afterwards, to the benefit of them both, and also of their children after them.

So... where exactly did the resentment come in?

You won't hear anything like THAT on Oprah.

And I care about Oprah because...?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In simplest terms, you will never make a souffle if you refuse to acknowledge the difference between souffle and scrambled eggs.

And what's wrong with scrambled eggs?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A God who is good, with some foresight, might just. One would have to do some looking and thinking about why, that's all.

One might do some looking and thinking to decide He wouldn't, either.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so justify to me sending someone to hell for pre-marital sex.

I've never in my life heard that God would send people to hell for having pre-marital sex.

The topic of the thread is not a debate against Christianity. The topic was pretty simple. Religious people, did you feel guilt?

Not for others to come in and tell religious people who felt guilt that they are being silly.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by jminnesota
well for some people fear if they have sex before they marry will go to hell

Ridiculous. Would a god who is good do such a thing? If I believed in god, I would say, "No."
That's not our call, Self.

We know God's in the business of forgiveness and no sin is necessarily worse than any other.

Personally, I don't think a loving couple having sex is going straight to hell.... merely for that action... since even Christians engage in premarital sex.

That doesn't mean premarital sex is advisable as many harmful consequences usually ensues.
It isn't something I'd recommend, but can certainly understand it.

I tend to hold those who wait, the virgins or "reborn" virgins, in respect.
That doesn't mean I "think less" of the non-virgins though.
And this coming from one who unfortunately made some poor choices as a young man.
If I could go back and change that, I would... as I've posted in another thread about regrets that I started.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you just did the very thing you criticized another for doing.

Why would Christians not be free thinkers? No one's holding a gun to our head to go to church. We are free to start staying home and watch Sunday morning cartoons at any time.

By free-thinker I mean someone who doesn't believe stuff just because an old book says so.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
just trying to get it back to if your guilty or not vs turing it into a church or religos view is all. it is interesting to here peoples views.
Sure.
It did get off-track here, esp. those grilling the believers and DEMANDING explanations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well did you feel guilt when you gave it up the first time?

I appreciate you getting it back on topic, thanks :)

And no, I felt no guilt the first time thankfully.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Sure.
It did get off-track here, esp. those grilling the believers and DEMANDING explanations.

Yeah, on a tangent started by a Christian blaming secular/atheist culture in its entirety for its woes (you know, the first post after you last told people to get back on topic.....it was a Christian posting....and it was off-topic).

We get it Larry, you're biased. Christians always good, those meanie atheists are always bad.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never in my life heard that God would send people to hell for having pre-marital sex.

Yes you have, Mr Roach has said as much. Well, if you've read the thread, that is.

The topic of the thread is not a debate against Christianity. The topic was pretty simple. Religious people, did you feel guilt?

Yes, and this line of thought is not at all unrelated to the OP.

Not for others to come in and tell religious people who felt guilt that they are being silly.

I haven't said they are silly for being guilty, but what I have said is that it's a useless emotional burden. Big difference.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We know God's in the business of forgiveness and no sin is necessarily worse than any other.

That depends on who you ask, doesn't it? I've been debating another member in an unrelated thread who insists that there are different levels of sin. But, when I was a believer, I would've agreed with you - I'd always been taught sin was sin in the eyes of god.

Personally, I don't think a loving couple having sex is going straight to hell.... merely for that action... since even Christians engage in premarital sex.

Yes, of course. Neither do I.

That doesn't mean premarital sex is advisable as many harmful consequences usually ensues.
It isn't something I'd recommend, but can certainly understand it.

I would say I recommend it, because I think one needs to know a person well (personally, emotionally, physically) before taking the plunge into marriage. But, of course I won't say that, as the mods construe this as promoting an hedonistic lifestyle. ;)

I tend to hold those who wait, the virgins or "reborn" virgins, in respect.

lol. How can one be a reborn virgin? Once you give it away, you can never have it back, ya see.

That doesn't mean I "think less" of the non-virgins though.

Yes it does. That is exactly the implication of the previous two sentences.

And this coming from one who unfortunately made some poor choices as a young man.
If I could go back and change that, I would... as I've posted in another thread about regrets that I started.

You need to get past this man, you're making too big a deal of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0