United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic World News - February 04, 2015

Religious instruction abolished in Luxembourg schools : News Headlines - Catholic Culture

Catholic religious instruction in state-run schools has been abolished in the historically Catholic nation of Luxembourg and will be replaced by instruction in ethics, according to Law & Religion UK.

In addition, the state will no longer pay the salaries of Catholic priests who are ordained in the future, though current priests will continue to be paid.

Luxembourg has moved “closer to the French model of secularism,” said Archbishop Jean-Claude Hollerich, who said that Church will now proclaim the Gospel as a “clearly poorer” Church.
The nation of 540,000 is 77% Catholic, according to Vatican statistics.
Luxemburgs Erzbischof: «Wir haben einen Kulturkampf vermieden» (kath.ch)

Luxembourg moves towards further separation of religion and the state <(Law & Religion UK)

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hooray!

No child should be brought up to believe one particular religion in my opinion. Rather, they should be taught about all religions and humanism too, and then be free to make up their own minds.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hooray!

No child should be brought up to believe one particular religion in my opinion. Rather, they should be taught about all religions and humanism too, and then be free to make up their own minds.

Why is it that secularists oppose the idea of children brought up in any ideology....except secularism...

Convenient, that, isn't it. :idea::doh:

Raising a child in the values and beliefs of the parents is part of parenting. When you discard it, you break a normal link between parent and child; which is just another swipe against the family by the secular State that fears the family's autonomy.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why is it that secularists oppose the idea of children brought up in any ideology....except secularism...
So that children can think for themselves. Is that so wrong?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So that children can think for themselves. Is that so wrong?

So that's what you call indoctrinating them with secularism is it?

Children need a secure environment with understandable rules and values, raised in community with their family. They don't need existentialist doubt that leaves them atomised and anomic.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Children need a secure environment with understandable rules and values, raised in community with their family. They don't need existentialist doubt that leaves them atomised and anomic.
If the parents so wish they can tell their children that one particular faith (whatever it may be) is the only true faith, but that is not the job of the school. The school should educate them about all religions without bias.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the parents so wish they can tell their children that one particular faith (whatever it may be) is the only true faith, but that is not the job of the school. The school should educate them about all religions without bias.

I agree.

But what you originally said was....

No child should be brought up to believe one particular religion in my opinion

And that is not simply a limit on the nature of schools but on the nature of families.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree.

But what you originally said was....

And that is not simply a limit on the nature of schools but on the nature of families.
Then I apologise. What I meant to say was, no school should tell its students to believe one particular religion. The 'no child' part is for my own children only.

Thank you for highlighting my error. :)

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I think it good that compulsory schools remain neutral in religious teaching. At least teaching that one is correct.
Families should not be upset or broken apart due to a school teaching a child a religion different than their parents is correct and the parents are wrong. I hold the same for my own faith so I am not playing favorites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then I apologise. What I meant to say was, no school should tell its students to believe one particular religion. The 'no child' part is for my own children only.

Thank you for highlighting my error. :)

No problem. We all do it from time to time :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums