Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I just gotta comment on something. It has been bothering me. I outlined an experience in which God spoke to me recently. I had a lot of people praying for me and I concluded that it payed off. Someone basically then said "Your medicine might need adjusted." because yes, I do have schizophrenia and take medicine for it. If my own psychiatrist acts this way, I'm going to do one of two things:

1. Give up all belief in God. When he speaks to me, I don't hear Him.

2. Get lawyers after my psychiatrist like you have never seen, and challenge him in court that yes, I am allowed to have religious experiences.

I'm upset because I was really on fire for God, and that poster does have a point that yes, the psychiatrist might see the religious experiences as a sign of schizophrenia. In which case... I would have to do 1 or 2 if it comes up.

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I had the Lord speak to me verbally, and it lead to a vary powerful ministry opportunity, in a dentist waiting room, of all places. Could you tell me what the lord said, if it is not to personal.

That he was there. That he wanted me to preach a belief I didn't even subscribe to (orthodox beliefs on hell) and that it's true.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just gotta comment on something. It has been bothering me. I outlined an experience in which God spoke to me recently. I had a lot of people praying for me and I concluded that it payed off. Someone basically then said "Your medicine might need adjusted." because yes, I do have schizophrenia and take medicine for it. If my own psychiatrist acts this way, I'm going to do one of two things:

1. Give up all belief in God. When he speaks to me, I don't hear Him.

2. Get lawyers after my psychiatrist like you have never seen, and challenge him in court that yes, I am allowed to have religious experiences.

I'm upset because I was really on fire for God, and that poster does have a point that yes, the psychiatrist might see the religious experiences as a sign of schizophrenia. In which case... I would have to do 1 or 2 if it comes up.
Dig into the Word for yourself prayerfully, and make it daily. (I can't give you medical advice, but remember a lot of ppl are hostile to God's Word and you should expect that.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had the Lord speak to me verbally, and it lead to a vary powerful ministry opportunity, in a dentist waiting room, of all places. Could you tell me what the lord said, if it is not to personal.
In the end it's what's written in the Word that really counts, as the Spirit of God applies it to our hearts and minds and consciences.

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see your post, but I'm sorry you had this experience. I have also had a mental health diagnosis and when people use that to "put me in my place" or dismiss my thoughts, it really hurts. I'm now something of a mental health disability rights advocate and I know a lot of otherwise well meaning people do this. It is frustrating..
But please, don't let your anger get the best of you, hard as it is. People need to see that we with mh diagnoses have dignity and deserve respect. If a psychiatrist ever dismissed your religious experiences as "symptoms" without considering your viewpoint you should find another psychiatrist. The courts could do nothing, this kind of thing is very common. A psychiatrist is just a human with a degree, not an authority on spiritual life. One can always get meds prescribed by a pcp while looking for another one.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Check it With the word, but It does sound like Him, He often asks us to do things that we normally would not do. As for Hell, it is true, but a lot of churches will not teach it. Hell is real and it is something that we should not ignore even if it is not nice to talk about. Referring to one of my favorite books, the Art of War, The best place to be is were your enemy does not know. If we do not talk about the enemies plans or movement then they have a great advantage. So, yes this message is greatly needed in this age of “Safe zones” and “Trigger Warnings.” we need a shock to wake up to the war we are in.

Upvote 0

Look Up

"What is unseen is eternal"
Jul 16, 2010
✟16,230.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have read and heard that the psychology profession--drug prescribing psychiatrists among them--is generally heavily biased against supernatural causation (at least in my country, the US, but also generally in the western world). Natural causes alone are considered (in research and practice and professional journals and education). This may be especially true where a natural cause seems plausible, or more plausible than a supernatural cause (in this case "anti-natural" cause, if you will).

Of course this is God's world, and in a sense everything in it is supernatural at least in the sense that God is in and behind everything (even suffering and illness), though He does not approve nor initiate sin (that being contrary to who He is); we sin. And if any given psychiatrist would be shamed by peers for openly accepting a supernatural event as such, yet in practice, you may perhaps "be allowed" your own religious opinion even if the psychiatrist does not believe that is the best explanation.

I don't think suing your psychiatrist will get you anywhere or be what Jesus would have you do, though I understand your frustration. For one thing, those who are blind (to Jesus) cannot see. See Rom. 1 & Eph. 4 regarding a darkened mind and heart. A lawsuit will not give sight to the blind, that is up to the Holy Spirit to grant. Or not, for God is Lord rather than us. Secondly, your psychiatrist may be of some help to you, for this is God's world.

I agree with faroukfarouk in encouraging you to be guided above all things by the Scriptures. In particular, Jesus is the apex and culmination of the history of God revealing Himself to humanity (or in particular to those of humanity who are faithful to Him), and the Bible contains the Four Gospels which present Jesus as central character. Jesus shows us who God is as the Son revealing His heavenly Father. And yes, the Holy Spirit is in His people.

But His people also have an obligation to the Lord of all the universe, to trust and obey Him. Even when that is hard. If we do not trust and obey God when it is hard, are we really trusting and obeying Him--are we really faithful? Being a disciple of Jesus is hard as Jesus said.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have read and heard that the psychology profession--drug prescribing psychiatrists among them--is generally heavily biased against supernatural causation (at least in my country, the US, but also generally in the western world). Natural causes alone are considered (in research and practice and professional journals and education). This may be especially true where a natural cause seems plausible, or more plausible than a supernatural cause (in this case "anti-natural" cause, if you will).

Of course this is God's world, and in a sense everything in it is supernatural at least in the sense that God is in and behind everything (even suffering and illness), though He does not approve nor initiate sin (that being contrary to who He is); we sin. And if any given psychiatrist would be shamed by peers for openly accepting a supernatural event as such, yet in practice, you may perhaps "be allowed" your own religious opinion even if the psychiatrist does not believe that is the best explanation.

I don't think suing your psychiatrist will get you anywhere or be what Jesus would have you do, though I understand your frustration. For one thing, those who are blind (to Jesus) cannot see. See Rom. 1 & Eph. 4 regarding a darkened mind and heart. A lawsuit will not give sight to the blind, that is up to the Holy Spirit to grant. Or not, for God is Lord rather than us. Secondly, your psychiatrist may be of some help to you, for this is God's world.

I agree with faroukfarouk in encouraging you to be guided above all things by the Scriptures. In particular, Jesus is the apex and culmination of the history of God revealing Himself to humanity (or in particular to those of humanity who are faithful to Him), and the Bible contains the Four Gospels which present Jesus as central character. Jesus shows us who God is as the Son revealing His heavenly Father. And yes, the Holy Spirit is in His people.

But His people also have an obligation to the Lord of all the universe, to trust and obey Him. Even when that is hard. If we do not trust and obey God when it is hard, are we really trusting and obeying Him--are we really faithful? Being a disciple of Jesus is hard as Jesus said.
Some good thoughts; in the end it's good to let the Word search us thoroughly.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Check it With the word, but It does sound like Him, He often asks us to do things that we normally would not do. As for Hell, it is true, but a lot of churches will not teach it. Hell is real and it is something that we should not ignore even if it is not nice to talk about. Referring to one of my favorite books, the Art of War, The best place to be is were your enemy does not know. If we do not talk about the enemies plans or movement then they have a great advantage. So, yes this message is greatly needed in this age of “Safe zones” and “Trigger Warnings.” we need a shock to wake up to the war we are in.
The Word does say: "We are not ignorant of his devices" (2 Corinthians 2.11).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Word does say: "We are not ignorant of his devices" (2 Corinthians 2.11).
Yes, if we keep our eyes open it is easy, but I have found that many churches. Will focus on the good only and ignore the movement of the enemy, this is a tactical blunder. So, I find that the simple message of Hell is needed, specially in the USA.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That he was there. That he wanted me to preach a belief I didn't even subscribe to (orthodox beliefs on hell) and that it's true.

Well the eternal lake of fire is real.. So i guess the voice was in agreement with scripture on what was spoken..

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I just have to really be careful of what I say on here. If I say that I had a weird past and talk about it a little bit - people think I'm still really weird now.

If I say that I have schizophrenia and I think I do, though the diagnosis was pretty murky - people think of me as a bumbling schizophrenic without senses.

If anyone ever questions my true intellectual ability and whether I can tell if God is talking to me or not, PM me and challenge me to a 1 on 1 debate. When I'm not writing posts at lightspeed and slow down - well I most certainly have the ability to reason, etc.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, if we keep our eyes open it is easy, but I have found that many churches. Will focus on the good only and ignore the movement of the enemy, this is a tactical blunder. So, I find that the simple message of Hell is needed, specially in the USA.
I agree; the positive aspect of faith and security in Christ does need to be emphasized as well as hell, of course.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree; the positive aspect of faith and security in Christ does need to be emphasized as well as hell, of course.

Yes, it is a balance between, the free salvation and love of Christ and what he is saving us from. I hope this helps you @TheoryofForms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just have to really be careful of what I say on here. If I say that I had a weird past and talk about it a little bit - people think I'm still really weird now.

If I say that I have schizophrenia and I think I do, though the diagnosis was pretty murky - people think of me as a bumbling schizophrenic without senses.

If anyone ever questions my true intellectual ability and whether I can tell if God is talking to me or not, PM me and challenge me to a 1 on 1 debate. When I'm not writing posts at lightspeed and slow down - well I most certainly have the ability to reason, etc.

Well i believe that God can and does speak to people so i have no problem with the thing you are talking about.. My concern is that demons can also masquerade as messengers of God and bring deception to those who they have access too.. Telling to difference depends on ones knowledge of the scriptures..

You should know your own schizophrenia and how it manifests.. So you should also know the difference between that and what you have experienced in this incident..

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Check what God said to you lines up with His Word in the Bible.

Is your psychiatrist a christian?

GOd is not the author of confusion. Unfortunately some religious experiences are not of God so you have to check. Dont assume they all are.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The bible says to test the spirits to see if they are of God.

I dont know what you heard, but if its of Him it wont contradict anything in His Word. Our God cannot lie.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Is your psychiatrist a christian?

I really don't know. I don't know a ton load about the man's character. I've had more than one psychiatrist - my current one is a little better than the one before.

Upvote 0