Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There are different types of altered mental states and different ways of reaching those states. Are some religious experiences more authentic than others simply because the mental states differ?

- The prophets of Baal in the Bible apparently cut themselves to enter an altered state.
- American Indians had sweat lodges and so forth.
- European witches used flying ointment.
- Sufis use repetitive dancing and music.
- Eastern Orthodox monks use hesychasm.
- Apparently psilocybin mushrooms appear in some early Christian religious art.
- Near-death-experiences might be classified as altered mental states by skeptics.
- Modern people sometimes use psychedelics to enlighten themselves.
- People practice meditation to enter altered states (among other things).
- Some religious innovators might be considered mentally ill by psychiatrists.
- In Christianity there are fasts and vigils.
- There is the mysterious soma plant.
- ... lots of examples

Your thoughts?
What makes a religious experiences more authentic?

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What makes a religious experiences more authentic?
For a religious experience to be authentic there must be spiritual entity attempting to influence a person through some mechanism such as a dream or a synchronicity or hallucination or a miracle. That is my definition FWIW

• Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Tiburon

Aug 26, 2020
Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For a religious experience to be authentic there must be spiritual entity attempting to influence a person through some mechanism such as a dream or a synchronicity or hallucination or a miracle. That is my definition FWIW
It seems to me that we have no way of knowing this. We can only go by how it is perceived by the experiencer.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The problem I see with this is that the vast majority of religious experiences are thought to take place between the human being and God, and I would be uncomfortable viewing God as a "spiritual entity attempting to influence..." Angels and demons do that with a specific kind of intentionality, but with God it is different. It's certainly possible for God to do that, but things like The Cloud of Unknowing or The Interior Castle are not captured by such a notion (nor is something like Buddhist meditation).

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We don't know. That doesn't necessitate any god. If you want to say it's god, you can, but that god of the gaps is going to get smaller and smaller every time we learn more.

Sorry but you are saying science will learn what caused nothing to become something.
I am talking about an absence of all energy, all matter, of all scientific, moral, and philosophical laws.
And with a faith that is utterly fantastic say science will learn what caused in that absence of everything, something to exist.

I have admiration for anyone who can believe in the unreasonable, it is not something I can do.
For me I believe that something that is outside of time, and space made these, as well as energy, matter, and the laws that govern them, that is what is ' supernateral' because it is outside of the universe we live in and our science that is dependant on what is this universe cannot investigate it.

We are dependant on it revealing it's self to us.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem I see with this is that the vast majority of religious experiences are thought to take place between the human being and God, and I would be uncomfortable viewing God as a "spiritual entity attempting to influence..." Angels and demons do that with a specific kind of intentionality, but with God it is different. It's certainly possible for God to do that, but things like The Cloud of Unknowing or The Interior Castle are not captured by such a notion (nor is something like Buddhist meditation).
Will we consider Maslow's Peak experience as a religious experience?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In my experience, God is a person, and he apparently cares about me and sometimes tries to help me as needed. To me that fits my definition. ???

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abraham Maslow described peak experiences as "rare, exciting, oceanic, deeply moving, exhilarating, elevating experiences that generate an advanced form of perceiving reality, and are even mystic and magical in their effect upon the experimenter."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Abraham Maslow described peak experiences as "rare, exciting, oceanic, deeply moving, exhilarating, elevating experiences that generate an advanced form of perceiving reality, and are even mystic and magical in their effect upon the experimenter."

That sounds like what is generally understood to be a religious experience. William James' The Varieties of Religious Experience is still one of the best works on the topic.

Upvote 0