Religion vs. relationship and the experiences of people in other religions.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians emphasize the importance of having an actual relationship with God/Jesus as opposed to merely being religious. The question What is the origin of the "religion vs. relationship" dichotomy? attests very well to this fact. But what about when people from other religions claim to have similar personal relationship experiences with their deities? For example, a Muslim claiming to have a personal relationship with Allah, a Hindu claiming to have a personal relationship with Brahman, a Hare Krishna claiming to have a personal relationship with Lord Krishna, a New Ager claiming to have a personal relationship with the Universe, their spirit guides, their higher self, etc.

Qualitatively speaking, what sets the Christian relationship with God apart from relationship experiences that people claim to have in other religions? What makes the Christian relationship with God special and unique? Are people in other religions just having counterfeit, deceitful experiences?

Lastly, how can a Christian evangelize or witness to a person who claims to have a "personal relationship with God" and all sorts of spiritual experiences in a different religion?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ronlion

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Someone asks about the "Religion" vs. Relationship" divide in Christianity. My answer is below.
I believe it comes from Evangelical Protestant Christianity especially the part of it that is against the notion of sacraments. What is noteworthy is this is not "Biblical".
1) Ancient Israel definitely had a religion, and making this sort of thing a negative association towards ritual and material expression of belief definitely has some Gnostic connotations.
2) In the epistle of saint James, James uses the Greek term for religion positively when he talks about believers demonstrating their faith by taking care of the widows and orphans of the local church.
3) The Book of Revelation has more temple type imagery in heaven, echoing the past scenes of old testament where prophets like Isaiah, Ezekiel etc. have similar ones of altars of incense etc.
4) The entire concept of Holiness in the Bible is a sacramental one. It comes from things "set apart for God's service". Like the offerings used for sacrifice in Genesis onward, as well as the various tools, materials, furniture, clothing, etc. used in the worship of the Tabernacle and later the temple. Those things used for that, could not be used for everyday uses, like you could not use the furniture for other ordinary uses that are apart from the intended use in the tabernacle/ temple.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
showbread temple.jpg

• Friendly
Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians emphasize the importance of having an actual relationship with God/Jesus as opposed to merely being religious. The question What is the origin of the "religion vs. relationship" dichotomy? attests very well to this fact. But what about when people from other religions claim to have similar personal relationship experiences with their deities? For example, a Muslim claiming to have a personal relationship with Allah, a Hindu claiming to have a personal relationship with Brahman, a Hare Krishna claiming to have a personal relationship with Lord Krishna, a New Ager claiming to have a personal relationship with the Universe, their spirit guides, their higher self, etc.

While it is true that Christianity claims intimacy and a personal relationship with God (John 15:13-15), I don't think it's a good idea to overemphasize that as the heart of the Gospel. Relationships can be subjective, even between fellow humans whom we can directly see, hear, touch, etc., and when it comes to having a personal relationship with an unseen God, there can be a lot of ambiguity on what exactly that means. The growing trend of "spirituality without religion" shows that it is possible for even the irreligious to have a vague sense of transcendental connection to something greater than the self to achieve fulfillment, enlightenment and the like; but all of these are grounded on subjective personal feelings rather than the truth.

Qualitatively speaking, what sets the Christian relationship with God apart from relationship experiences that people claim to have in other religions? What makes the Christian relationship with God special and unique? Are people in other religions just having counterfeit, deceitful experiences?

I would say there's a difference in foundation. In Christianity, the basis of our relationship with God stands on the life and works of Jesus Christ, through whom we are adopted as sons and made heirs of the Kingdom of God (Ephesians 1:5, Galatians 4:4-7).

God is too holy to look on evil and tolerate wrongdoing (Habakkuk 1:13), and as fallen creatures, we cannot in ourselves have a relationship with God, lest His consuming fire destroy us (Exodus 33:3, 20). But as we live in Christ, who had fulfilled all works of righteousness (Matthew 3:15) that we were initially called (and failed) to accomplish (Leviticus 19:2, 1 Peter 1:16), we can stand secure before God, who will look upon us not as the guilty sinners we really are, but will look at us with favour because of what Jesus had achieved.

Lastly, how can a Christian evangelize or witness to a person who claims to have a "personal relationship with God" and all sorts of spiritual experiences in a different religion?

Try to dig deeper on what they mean when they make that claim. Do they have a clear idea on who their God really is? What is expected in the relationship? What promises have God made for them, and can they trust Him to fulfill it? If they cannot give clear answers to these basic questions, then it puts into question the validity of the relationship.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What makes the Christian relationship with God special and unique? Are people in other religions just having counterfeit, deceitful experiences?

What makes the Christian relationship with God special and unique is our understanding of who God is, who Jesus is and what it means to follow him. Our understanding is that God personal, in contrast to some abstract being like Brahman. Also incarnational and self giving, in contrast to Muslims Allah who is beyond name and form and seems completely inaccessible.

But we must also acknowledge that God is infinite mystery. Our understanding is always incomplete because it is all our human minds can do. So we should not think that God is limited to our understanding and cannot authentically touch and communicate to people of other religions.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think when we're being religious, we're following a set of rules & regulations or practices believing this should see us into heaven vs a relationship with God, whereby we're submitting to Him fully and leaning only on Him. Obviously when we are now in Christ and He is now in us, we will start to question our sinful habits and begin to walk away from them.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,501.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If you look at other religions' sacred texts, the very beginning the course and the present, also the final experiences of adherents, therein is the answer. For throughout the Bible God is present in all books, with His people. Genesis, Exodus, Kings, Isaiah, John, Revelation to name some. Jesus in John describes, I am in the Father the Father in me and me in you and you in me. In Christ. No other spirit is omnipresent. It is that that enables a personal relationship.

The cross of Christ gives profound promise. Which other god loved and died for his or her people? In the cross and resurrection is the issue of the curse on our health broken, for good health, wickedness and sin is finished, death is overcome with life. We can have eternal youth, in good health, in good company in the best place forever.

In other texts there is no presence of god. God does not necessarily love you or forgive you. You have to make sacrifices. Earn grace.

In Christendom and maybe Judaism, God loved us as He became interested in designing us, as in creating us loved us.

For a personal relationship, you need the faith He is there, presence close to presence, in your heart and nearby. And you love each other, and communicate. You should experience parts of the cross, as in Jesus' sacred blood, a clean heart, freedom from wickedness, and healing should come. Hard to gain if you work six days a week and are being bullied by non believers...

In the very beginning of Hinduism, there was one god like Elohim, from Genesis 1. But he did not have a plurality, like Elohim, God, they, made man in their image and likeness. Hindus' Purusha did not have a human form, but his presence filled the universe, ten thousand feet, ten thousand eyes. So the Earth his foot stool and he could see everything... But he creates angels some of which fall, and they are said to break him up into Agni and the Hindu Trinity. Revealing femininity in the Cosmic Man and threeness. Truths there.

But what of the question, does God have a face, to have a relationship? God is Spirit, is He soul and body or did He create these? Wherein is empathy and compassion and love? God is love. Was there a time when God was all alone, with a face and empathy... it can't be! God is three, and wants you in there for there to be four, faces, compassionately, with love. It is essential for relationship. Your face, in God's image. Your empathy and love in His likeness and Way.

If you evangelise non Christians, love them, and bless them with God's Spirit and precious blood. Give them their secret thoughts in regards to their conscience aspirations and God's promises, so help them heal and overcome sin and adversity.

So we look through texts beginning, course and today and today's ones' near death experiences, so after resuscitation did they see the light, how far did they go in, given time and their character, and did some go into darkness?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,501.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Religion is not the best translation of the word from James' epistle. Maybe spirituality or practice is better.

Religion is usually organised, such as by the Catholic Church.

Religion has been defined as the habits following a spiritual high experience and habitual worship.

Religion also has a bad name for, mental ascent, head knowledge with corrupt and empty hearts. Creeds and church laws with no compassion, even violence and blase priests...

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

God can come to people through any religion (or lack of one). So I don't see why nonChristians cannot have a genuine and fruitful experience of the God Who is revealed in Christ. God, after all, is the Master of all His gifts. Some experiences may well be counterfeit - whether among (say) Hindus & Muslims, or among Catholics, Protestants, & others. Counterfeits are not absent from the histories of the Churches.

What is different about Christianity ? Christ.

As to how to evangelise: IMO, one should build on the good people have received. Don't throw out the baby with the bath-water. Every moment a convert has lived before conversion, has been part of a preparation for conversion, however unknowingly. If people do what is pleasing to God, like Cornelius in Acts 10, they may not have faith in Christ, but they are doing what is good, & it is the God they do not know Who leads them to do what is good. The more that people are faithful to the light that God gives them, the more light they will capable of receiving.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

... I question anyone's claims about his/her own "religious experiences," and I don't think I have to allow them to count as a singular trump card when evaluating their respective religious view.

Philosophically speaking, there's always more to the truth structure of any one religion than what some one person's so-called 'personal experiences' can ever represent.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
... I question anyone's claims about his/her own "religious experiences," and I don't think I have to allow them to count as a singular trump card when evaluating their respective religious view.

Philosophically speaking, there's always more to the truth structure of any one religion than what some one person's so-called 'personal experiences' can ever represent.
There is also the question whether it is the right use of a religious experience to try using it for apologetic purposes.

I think it is not. IMHO, religious experience has authority only for the person or persons experiencing it - & I don’t think it is communicable from believers to unbelievers.

IMHO, it is too intimately personal to be transferred; somewhat as the love between a married couple cannot be had on behalf of someone who is unmarried. Someone who has never been married cannot know that experience for himself. It can be described to him, but description of an experience is not the same thing as personal experience of that experience. Many things can be done by proxy; religious experience, is not one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You bring up another shortcoming of using this catchphrase. I'm not a fan of it myself (and I am an Evangelical - I believe Ephesians 2:8-10 just as firmly as anyone). It is often repeated by Christians who say that Christianity is the only faith that teaches _____ (there have been multiple ways to fill in that blank). I wonder how many Christians who say that have taken a complete survey of the beliefs of all other world religions, or even have taken a comparative religions class. Either way, that claim has problems too, and an unfortunate number of Christians repeat it.

It does not matter if Christianity exclusively teaches something or not. We unashamedly share many truths with the Jews, and new cults which borrow some of our teachings have popped up quite a bit in the last 2000 years. What matters is if Christianity is true or not. I have my connection to God, they have their connections to their god/gods/faith. All I believe we can do is preach what Christianity actually teaches, and let the truth of it speak to them. That is for God to draw them to himself. I am not the expert on the other person's personal faith, so I'm not going to tell them about it. I'm going to tell them about the Christian faith instead and let God do what he he wants to do in my heart as I do that. That's it.

• Agree
Upvote 0