Pickerington
✟15,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why religion doesn’t work. Why Jesus does.

I found myself for many years following the religion of Christianity. I tried to follow the rules and tried to show up every Sunday, every youth event, I was always connected to this religion. I surrounded myself around people who would lift me up when I was down, guide me down a path of righteousness, people who showed me what it meant to follow Christ. The one thing missing was the person I was supposed to be following, Jesus. I was connected to the church, the bight lights, the stimulating music that would give me that tingling sensation inside. All these materialistic and earthly things that would never bring me true happiness. They would satisfy my needs for a while, connect me to new people and even give me this idea of what I thought Christianity was. I struggled. I struggled for a long time with the party scene. Smoking weed every night, drinking until I passed out, typical college things. It got so bad that one time I had gone to a small group high as a kite. There was a need for urgent change. I had this idea in my head that I would truly be a follower of Christ the moment I gave up the party scene. Running away from sin, Right? I was doing what God called me to do, right? Except I wasn’t. Psalm 55:22 says to cast our burdens unto the Lord. That’s exactly what I wasn’t doing. I wasn't giving my sin up to God, I was giving my sin up the religion. I had the mindset that if I went to church, if I followed the rules, I would be closer to God, I would be truly be connected to the holy spirit. There were many times where I preached on Sunday mornings and gave bible studies knowing deep down the secrets I was hiding from the night before. Jesus warned us about people like me. In Matthew 6 he warns us about the hypocrites in front of the synagogues, praying to be seen by others. It’s interesting when Jesus says, “Truly I tell you; they have received their reward in full.” What was my reward? Pride, arrogance, public attention and affection from others. I lived for the compliments that poured out from others in the audience. I wanted to be this passionate speaker with a powerful voice, with goals to speak in front of thousands. It’s like I was battling God for who got all the glory, I was backstabbing him. Using the sacrifice of Jesus to strengthen my message, Knowing whole-heartedly that I wsn't a true follower of Christ.

I hope to continue this message one day. Not for a fairytale ending, but for a true relationship with Christ. and not an artificial faith

Last edited:

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why religion doesn’t work. Why Jesus does.

I found myself for many years following the religion of Christianity. I tried to follow the rules and tried to show up every Sunday, every youth event, I was always connected to this religion. I surrounded myself around people who would lift me up when I was down, guide me down a path of righteousness, people who showed me what it meant to follow Christ. The one thing missing was the person I was supposed to be following, Jesus. I was connected to the church, the bight lights, the stimulating music that would give me that tingling sensation inside. All these materialistic and earthly things that would never bring me true happiness. They would satisfy my needs for a while, connect me to new people and even give me this idea of what I thought Christianity was. I struggled. I struggled for a long time with the party scene. Smoking weed every night, drinking until I passed out, typical college things. It got so bad that one time I had gone to a small group high as a kite. There was a need for urgent change. I had this idea in my head that I would truly be a follower of Christ the moment I gave up the party scene. Running away from sin, Right? I was doing what God called me to do, right? Except I wasn’t. Psalm 55:22 says to cast our burdens unto the Lord. That’s exactly what I wasn’t doing. I was giving my sin up to God, I was giving my sin up the religion. I had the mindset that if I went to church, if I followed the rules, I would be closer to God, I would be truly be connected to the holy spirit. There were many times where I preached on Sunday mornings and gave bible studies knowing deep down the secrets I was hiding from the night before. Jesus warned us about people like me. In Matthew 6 he warns us about the hypocrites in front of the synagogues, praying to be seen by others. It’s interesting when Jesus says, “Truly I tell you; they have received their reward in full.” What was my reward? Pride, arrogance, public attention and affection from others. I lived for the compliments that poured out from others in the audience. I wanted to be this passionate speaker with a powerful voice, with goals to speak in front of thousands. It’s like I was battling God for who got all the glory, I was backstabbing him. Using the sacrifice of Jesus to strengthen my message, Knowing whole-heartedly that I as a true follower of Christ.

I hope to continue this message one day. Not for a fairytale ending, but for a true relationship with Christ. and not an artificial faith

Very true.

Thanks Jesus to help you understand.

Religion vs relationship.

Born again Christ is all about personal relationship with Jesus , nothing to do with others, Church , pastor.....

only CAB =BAC

Crucified And Buried = Born Again Christian

What you need and only to do is die to yourself (soul ) and Let Holy Spirit to take over you .Then you are not act according to flesh , by Holy spirit.

Abide in Christ like the branch of vine , It will be very painful being Crucified And Buried but the fruits will be plentiful.

Today will be suffering for Christ, tomorrow will be even worse .

But eternal life is very beautiful and worth everything...

Reactions: Zac Lykins
Upvote 0