Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The demon is forced to respond to the finger of God, meaning God's presence, to do a pointed work, a work of power against an entrenched enemy. The person must want deliverance and open themselves to it.
Could it be that the person, who believes that they are possessed, is responding in the way they believe someone who is possessed would respond?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Necromancy is disorder and there are accounts of people tormented with the consequences of this. You can web search them or youtube search them, look for Ouija Board...

Welp, that's about as far down this rabbit hole as I'm willing to go. Pentecostals, man.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Could it be that the person, who believes that they are possessed, is responding in the way they believe someone who is possessed would respond?
They would have to learn the misconcepts from somewhere. No they don't have to do anything. For me, nothing happened in deliverance, for others there are involuntary actions. And they speak and express from another personality, but that is stopped, along with humiliation.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They would have to learn the misconcepts from somewhere. No they don't have to do anything. For me, nothing happened in deliverance, for others there are involuntary actions. And they speak and express from another personality, but that is stopped, along with humiliation.
Couldn't an individual who strongly believes that they are possessed behave as if they were, based on what they believe "possession" to be like?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can a person have both?

LOL, no.

Reason is indiscriminate. Using reason alone it is impossible to accept the gospels while rejecting the belief in alien abductions. Religious beliefs have to override reason for the resurrection to seem plausible while denying the claims that aliens have visited earth.

And it's absurd to believe that aliens have visited earth.

b8f5f90f0b.png

Reactions: Davian
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, "Reason" means more than simply thinking about it before coming to a decision. But on the other hand, "Reason" doesn't necessarily mean what it did during the "Age of Reason" when it was advocated as a systematic way to figure out the truth of all things.

Good point. "Reason", as often used by secular humanists in their understanding, is really another kind of narrative. Anybody who is familiar with postmodernism will know the limitations implied by that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL, no.

Reason is indiscriminate. Using reason alone it is impossible to accept the gospels while rejecting the belief in alien abductions. Religious beliefs have to override reason for the resurrection to seem plausible while denying the claims that aliens have visited earth.

You assume that believing in Jesus' resurrection and belief in alien abductions are mutually exclusive by definition. They are not. I see no reason why, for the sake of argument, both could not be true. Your mistake is reducing one phenomenon to the other, perhaps borrowing from certain principles of medieval scholastic philosophy as your rationale . But that's just a principle (the principle of parsimony), not absolute truth.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With that being said, I do feel that there are certain barriers on specific topics that sometimes make it difficult for reason and religion to go together on certain topics.

I disagree, obviously.

Religion is a heavily faith based institution that often involves large amounts of dogma, and in many cases requires the acceptance of certain things without tangible evidence.

Again, I disagree, when "faith" is interpreted the way you mean it.

And again, that's not meant as an insult, that's just how it is.

Really?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You assume that believing in Jesus' resurrection and belief in alien abductions are mutually exclusive by definition. They are not. I see no reason why, for the sake of argument, both could not be true. Your mistake is reducing one phenomenon to the other, perhaps borrowing from certain principles of medieval scholastic philosophy as your rationale . But that's just a principle (the principle of parsimony), not absolute truth.

So did Jesus die for the aliens' sins as well?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I disagree, obviously.

Again, I disagree, when "faith" is interpreted the way you mean it.

Really?

I said that religion often involves dogmatic rules and often requires belief in things without tangible evidence...I don't think I'm speaking out of line in saying so.

Catholicism (the most popular religion in the world) is riddled with dogmatic rules.

Many of the protestant faiths do require belief in things for which there is no tangible evidence. Virgin births, global floods, resurrections, walking on water, turning water into wine, etc... Those are things which require faith without tangible evidence. I'm not trying to insult anyone by saying that, just merely stating a fact. There's no scientific evidence for any of those things happening (or even being possible). If someone wants to have faith in those things, that's 100% fine, I'd fight to protect their right to believe that, however, that doesn't change the fact that their belief in those things lack scientific backing.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So did Jesus die for the aliens' sins as well?

I don't know. Being more Lutheran-minded, it's not a question I need to speculate about: all I know is that Jesus died for my sins.

I guess when we find aliens we can communicate and interact with in a meaningful way, then it will become much more relevant..

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. Being more Lutheran-minded, it's not a question I need to speculate about: all I know is that Jesus died for my sins.

I guess when we find aliens we can communicate and interact with in a meaningful way, then it will become much more relevant..

But if your duty as a Christian is to preach the gospel, shouldn't you be seeking aliens so that you might proselytize them?

I think you should reach out to alien abductees and pick their brains (no pun intended) to see what you can do to get yourself abducted. Once inside the ship, you let them have it with your best Chick tract and they won't know what hit 'em.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
But if your duty as a Christian is to preach the gospel, shouldn't you be seeking aliens so that you might proselytize them?

I'm not called and ordained as a pastor, so no, it's not my duty to preach the Gospel, much less preach it to aliens.

Proselytism is a dirty word as far as I'm concerned. Mainline protestants aren't known for trying to sell Jesus like somebody sells cleaning supplies door-to-door. We think its bad theology and not such a great practice.

I think you should reach out to alien abductees and pick their brains (no pun intended) to see what you can do to get yourself abducted. Once inside the ship, you let them have it with your best Chick tract and they won't know what hit 'em.

I think I'd be too busy being probed to be handing out tracts. As I said, we'ld have to have meaningful dialogue with the aliens to establish our basic assumptions so that we could understand each other. Most alien abduction accounts don't seem to even get that far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not called and ordained as a pastor, so no, it's not my duty to preach the Gospel, much less preach it to aliens.

Proselytism is a dirty word as far as I'm concerned. Mainline protestants aren't known for trying to sell Jesus like somebody sells cleaning supplies door-to-door. We think its bad theology and not such a great practice.

So you don't proselytize your children?

I think I'd be too busy being probed to be handing out tracts. As I said, we'ld have to have meaningful dialogue with the aliens to establish our basic assumptions so that we could understand each other. Most alien abduction accounts don't seem to even get that far.

Sounds like a deficiency in faith that the Lord's will would be done.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
So Cal
✟7,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL, no.

And it's absurd to believe that aliens have visited earth.

b8f5f90f0b.png

Christians, may I ask you to please pray for salvation for my son, Nihilist Virus (he knows I frequently ask people to pray for him, and he is ok with it). Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So you don't proselytize your children?

I don't have kids. Raising your kids in a particular religion is not "proselytism" as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't believe it's somebody else's right to raise them, besides the parents.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians, may I ask you to please pray for salvation for my son, Nihilist Virus (he knows I frequently ask people to pray for him, and he is ok with it). Thank you very much!
Not sure if serious.

Upvote 0