✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Can a person have both?

Of course. It wouldn't be possible to have religion without reason. It wouldn't even be possible to have coherent thought without reason.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I posted this as a reply to that other thread we were in before I noticed that you started a topic, so I'll repost it here to avoid a de-rail of the other one:

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not trying to take a personal jab at any religious folks (as many on here know, I'm one of the atheists that will often times stand up for the Christian crowd and end up debating against some of my fellow atheists).

With that being said, I do feel that there are certain barriers on specific topics that sometimes make it difficult for reason and religion to go together on certain topics. ...and that's not meant to sound insulting (sorry if it comes across that way), but that's just the nature of religion in general. Religion is a heavily faith based institution that often involves large amounts of dogma, and in many cases requires the acceptance of certain things without tangible evidence. And again, that's not meant as an insult, that's just how it is.

This doesn't apply to all topics obviously, there are certain ones where a person's religious view on something can coincide with reason. For example, Christians religious law dictates that you shouldn't murder or steal, that happens to coincide with what I (as a non-religious person) view as the reasonable position on those two items.

However, when discussing certain societal matters and scientific topics, religion can absolutely be a barrier.

When discussing peoples' views with them on topics like this, I often ask them to put their stance up against the "if there were no religion" test (at the risk of sounding like a hippy John Lennon song lol).

"If there were no holy books or religious institutions, would you still come up with the same conclusion on this topic?"

If two people sat down, with no pre-existing influence of any kind, and had a reasonable conversation about a topic, would that reasonable conversation result in a conclusion that matched what's in a religious book? Sometimes yes, Sometimes no.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can a person have both?
It depends on what you mean by "religion".

Can a person believe in the existence of a "higher power" and related ideas concerning meaning, morals, politics, etc? Of course.

To put things very crudely, as long as one's "religious" views do not egregiously violate the principles of rationality (and there will likely be different views on what these are) and are otherwise consistent with the 'data of the world', then there is no conflict.

But, of course, many religious ideas / habits do indeed clash with reason. Examples:

1. 10,000 year-old earth;

2. Uncritical acceptance of authority sources;

3. Distrust of the scientific method;

4. Claiming that there is a "demon under every doily" - the notion that the world is overrun with unseen sinister forces (to me, this is a sign of mental illness that is often passed off as a legitimate "religious" view);

5. General dismissal of the principles of sound argumentation (often expressed by such slogans as "you are using fallen human reasoning and you need to simply accept what I am telling you);

6. Refusal to accept uncertainty.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Religion is a heavily faith based institution that often involves large amounts of dogma, and in many cases requires the acceptance of certain things without tangible evidence.
Important point and I have something I want to say about this but do not have the time now.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can a person have both?
A person had better have both!

Incidentally, my home forum (Anglicans) on CF is the "Scripture, Tradition, and Reason" forum. The same points of emphasis have historically been associated with Methodists, too, so a fairly large chunk of Christendom not only thinks a person can have both, but publicly says that it's important that they do.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what you mean by "religion".

Can a person believe in the existence of a "higher power" and related ideas concerning meaning, morals, politics, etc? Of course.

To put things very crudely, as long as one's "religious" views do not egregiously violate the principles of rationality (and there will likely be different views on what these are) and are otherwise consistent with the 'data of the world', then there is no conflict.

But, of course, many religious ideas / habits do indeed clash with reason. Examples:

1. 10,000 year-old earth;

2. Uncritical acceptance of authority sources;

3. Distrust of the scientific method;

4. Claiming that there is a "demon under every doily" - the notion that the world is overrun with unseen sinister forces (to me, this is a sign of mental illness that is often passed off as a legitimate "religious" view);

5. General dismissal of the principles of sound argumentation (often expressed by such slogans as "you are using fallen human reasoning and you need to simply accept what I am telling you);

6. Refusal to accept uncertainty.

No one could get to the point where they could hold any of the positions you listed without using reason. For instance, you might not agree with the reason why someone who thinks that the earth is 10,000 years old, but there is a reason why they hold that belief, otherwise they wouldn't have formed that belief in the first place.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Incidentally, my home forum (Anglicans) on CF is the "Scripture, Tradition, and Reason" forum. The same points of emphasis have historically been associated with Methodists, too, so a fairly large chunk of Christendom not only thinks a person can have both, but publicly says that it's important that they do.
This actually started after someone in another thread sort of implied that one could not have both and so to avoid derailing that thread I started a new one.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This actually started after someone in another thread sort of implied that one could not have both and so to avoid derailing that thread I started a new one.
I'm sure that there are people who feel that way, so let's see which way it goes here on your thread. :)

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one could get to the point where they could hold any of the positions you listed without using reason. For instance, you might not agree with the reason why someone who thinks that the earth is 10,000 years old, but there is a reason why they hold that belief, otherwise they wouldn't have formed that belief in the first place.
Of course I agree with you, if you use "reason" in the sense of "thinking" generally. What I mean by "reason" is good thinking. Yes, one "thinks" to conclude the earth is 10,000 years old. But that thinking is, I suggest, demonstrably defective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Agreed.

Methodists add a fourth to Anglican's 3, experience.

For Roman Catholics, =many have argued that Reason has too central a place.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure, "Reason" means more than simply thinking about it before coming to a decision. But on the other hand, "Reason" doesn't necessarily mean what it did during the "Age of Reason" when it was advocated as a systematic way to figure out the truth of all things.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
With that being said, I do feel that there are certain barriers on specific topics that sometimes make it difficult for reason and religion to go together on certain topics. ...and that's not meant to sound insulting (sorry if it comes across that way), but that's just the nature of religion in general. Religion is a heavily faith based institution that often involves large amounts of dogma, and in many cases requires the acceptance of certain things without tangible evidence. And again, that's not meant as an insult, that's just how it is.

It is not possible for someone have faith or accept dogma without reason.

This doesn't apply to all topics obviously, there are certain ones where a person's religious view on something can coincide with reason. For example, Christians religious law dictates that you shouldn't murder or steal, that happens to coincide with what I (as a non-religious person) view as the reasonable position on those two items.

Generally when people say that something is unreasonable they are meaning that to them it appears to be a bad use of reason, not that it was arrived at without the use of reason. In order for that to happen, a belief would have to spontaneously pop into someone's head without a cause and be maintained without a cause. Usually the person that you think is being unreasonable nevertheless thinks that they are being reasonable, so it has to do more with a subjective judgement call than with whether or not reason was being used.

However, when discussing certain societal matters and scientific topics, religion can absolutely be a barrier.

When discussing peoples' views with them on topics like this, I often ask them to put their stance up against the "if there were no religion" test (at the risk of sounding like a hippy John Lennon song lol).

"If there were no holy books or religious institutions, would you still come up with the same conclusion on this topic?"

If two people sat down, with no pre-existing influence of any kind, and had a reasonable conversation about a topic, would that reasonable conversation result in a conclusion that matched what's in a religious book? Sometimes yes, Sometimes no.

How do you think that religious books were written in the first place?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I have yet to see a reasoned argument that starts from verified premises and concludes that religious beliefs are supported. At best, people believe in religious claims that haven't been shown to be untrue. However, those beliefs are based on faith which seems like a very unreasonable way to arrive at a belief. The real difficulties come when religious beliefs are used as an argument for causing harm to others. Unreasonable but benign beliefs are one thing, but harmful beliefs are another.

On the extreme side of the spectrum, there are religious beliefs like Geocentrism and Creationism which are falsified by mountains of scientific evidence and yet those beliefs are still held. I think most would agree that in these cases, religion has been embraced to the detriment of reason.

Reactions: Sevensong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I certainly disagree with this. For centuries, many have accepted dogma without any intervening reason. Many (if not most) people who believe in God, will tell that reason never entered into their belief in God. Sure, those who are more mature in their faith cannot understand their faith without reason. For many, understanding is not important.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Sure, "Reason" means more than simply thinking about it before coming to a decision. But on the other hand, "Reason" doesn't necessarily mean what it did during the "Age of Reason" when it was advocated as a systematic way to figure out the truth of all things.

In the history of science there were once two schools: the Rationalists and the Empiricists. The Rationalist school thought that the great mysteries could be solved by simply thinking them out. It was based on "common sense", which we later discovered is not a trustworthy sense. The Rationalists thought that we could intuitively find the right answers. The Empiricists, on the other hand, suggested that our intuitions could be wrong, and that we should verify our ideas by comparing them to what we could detect through our senses in an objective sense.

Most people today would consider the Empiricists to be the ones using Reason, but that wasn't always the case through history.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the history of science there were once two schools: the Rationalists and the Empiricists. The Rationalist school thought that the great mysteries could be solved by simply thinking them out. It was based on "common sense", which we later discovered is not a trustworthy sense. The Rationalists thought that we could intuitively find the right answers. The Empiricists, on the other hand, suggested that our intuitions could be wrong, and that we should verify our ideas by comparing them to what we could detect through our senses in an objective sense.

Most people today would consider the Empiricists to be the ones using Reason, but that wasn't always the case through history.
It is interesting that you want to imply that this division has ended.

Empiricists claim that all our knowledge and Truth comes though our senses.

Folks of almost all philosophies and religions do not expect the limitations of empiricism.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/

Reactions: Sevensong
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Generally when people say that something is unreasonable they are meaning that to them it appears to be a bad use of reason, not that it was arrived at without the use of reason. In order for that to happen, a belief would have to spontaneously pop into someone's head without a cause and be maintained without a cause. Usually the person that you think is being unreasonable nevertheless thinks that they are being reasonable, so it has to do more with a subjective judgement call than with whether or not reason was being used.

How do you think that religious books were written in the first place?

You're ignoring the pervasive concept of indoctrination. It's no coincidence that 88% of people remain in the same religion as the one their parents raised them in.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
It is interesting that you want to imply that this division has ended.

In the physical sciences, it has ended. Hypotheses require empirical support before they are accepted as being supported.

Empiricists claim that all our knowledge and Truth comes though our senses.

Folks of almost all philosophies and religions do not expect the limitations of empiricism.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/

What good is an epistemology without limitaitons? What good is an epistemology where anything can be considered true?

Upvote 0