Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which is more important to you, your religion or your personal relationship with Jesus? Is it more important to go to church every service, or is it more useful to read your Bible, to know and obey what it says? (I am not talking about never going to church.)

Reactions: brinny

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Relationship

a91b8dac036132ac01fb36c0b6031ea8.jpg

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both. That is kind of a cop out answer, but really it should be both. A good religious service should draw you closer to Christ, a good Liturgy, Mass, Divine Service, whatever, is a form of prayer, and when done right it is Heaven on Earth. I read my Bible every day, and I pray on my own every day, but prayer in a religious service is a different prayer. I believe in the Real Presence at communion, so it means a lot to have Jesus spiritually, symbolically, and physically present in and under the communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Which is more important to you, your religion or your personal relationship with Jesus? Is it more important to go to church every service, or is it more useful to read your Bible, to know and obey what it says? (I am not talking about never going to church.)
I don't really see a difference.. For me they both go hand in hand.. If one believes Jesus they are religious if one trust in Jesus then they are in a relationship with Him..

To be saved one needs both to believe and Trust Jesus..

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
religion teaches man's view of God.

In a relationship, God reveals himself to you.

Jesus said "This is eternal life, that they may KNOW thee, the only true God."

His blood was shed to restore our relationship with God. It always has been about the relationship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Relationship

a91b8dac036132ac01fb36c0b6031ea8.jpg

Yeah they are going to be the most devastating words that people will hear on the day of Judgement... I cannot imagine how devastating they will be....

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it.. But one day i am going to be witness to Jesus saying this to a lot of people sadly. :(

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't really see a difference.. For me they both go hand in hand.. If one believes Jesus they are religious if one trust in Jesus then they are in a relationship with Him..

To be saved one needs both to believe and Trust Jesus..
Sometimes it seems people get so wrapped up in denominational traditions and rules that they become rigid, unloving, and argumentative. I guess I view the two as very different...believing and trusting, in my humble opinion, are both relationship.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah they are going to be the most devastating words that people will hear on the day of Judgement... I cannot imagine how devastating they will be....

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it.. But one day i am going to be witness to Jesus saying this to a lot of people sadly. :(
So true grieves me greatly

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I suppose it depends on your definition of religion. For me, I understand the word religion to mean, "man's efforts to justify himself". I believe religion began in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve sewed fig leaves together to cover their nakedness. From that definition religion is the normal state of fallen man.

Also, relationship is a vague term. The truth is, everyone has a relationship with God including self proclaimed atheists. Their relationship is to deny His existence. For others their relationship is to blame Him for all the ills of the world. As it has been said many times, there are no atheists in foxholes as all whose lives are in danger will immediately cry out to God to be saved from that danger.

But what is understood by believers who have the new birth, relationship refers to our union with God by the Spirit and our obedience to the leading of His Spirit. It also refers to the friendship and love we have for one another.

As you should be able to tell: I choose relationship as I last stated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

First question, why is reading Scripture less religious than going to church? Or conversely, how is going to church less relational than reading Scripture?

Ultimately however, how is there any difference between our religion and our relationship to Christ? Our religion is our relationship to Christ. It's not a competition between "doing religious stuff" and "having relationship stuff", it's that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and this Jesus, who is the Christ, came, taught, called apostles and disciples, established His Church, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, buried, dead, and rose on the third day victorious over sin, death, hell, and the devil; and that He ascended into the heavens where He sits and reigns at the right hand of the Father until the day He comes again, in glory, to judge the living and the dead--when the dead shall be raised, and God shall make all things new. And thus God has, condescended, in Jesus, to encounter a broken, fallen, sinful, and hurting world of sinners in order to rescue it, deliver it up to Himself, and ultimately bring it to the glorious purpose which He has intended. And we, by His grace, are made sharers and partakers of that glorious thing by the mercy He has for us in Jesus, taking hold of us, appropriating Christ's work to us through the preaching of the Gospel and the Sacraments, making us a people of faith, trusting in this Jesus, whereby we are justified on Christ's account--and have the promise to be delivered through death to life, everlasting life, in the age to come.

That's our religion: God, in Christ, has come down and meets us in our lowliness, to take hold of us and make us His.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes it seems people get so wrapped up in denominational traditions and rules that they become rigid, unloving, and argumentative.

Not sure why you said this in regard to my post... I was simply giving my opinion / answer to the opening question... I will not enter into any argument with you.. Even though you seem to be attempting to provoking one by saying that i am an argumentative person who is locked into some denominational tradition...

Just to let you know i do not belong to any denomination... Take a look at my information """ Non-Denom""" ... :wave:

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure why you said this in regard to my post... I was simply giving my opinion / answer to the opening question... I will not enter into any argument with you.. Even though you seem to be attempting to provoking one by saying that i am an argumentative person who is locked into some denominational tradition...

Just to let you know i do not belong to any denomination... Take a look at my information """ Non-Denom""" ... :wave:
Goodness! I didn't intend my comment for you personally. I was making a general observation based on the comment on some threads, and even more so on a couple of Facebook groups to which I belong...which prompted me to start this thread, I was looking for opinions. :smirk:

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This supposed conflict between "religion" and "relationship" is a false dichotomy.

I don't know who started it, but this apparently began when someone decided to make up their own definition of "religion", and others just simply went along with it.

Here is what "religion" means:

1. 1a : the state of a religious a nun in her 20th year of religionb (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2. 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3. 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4. 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
source: Definition of RELIGION

Put simply, your "religion" is your beliefs about God. There is nothing in the definition that precludes it from being a relationship. If you believe that it is a personal relationship with God, then "relationship" *IS* your "religion" - there is no inherent conflict between the two words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't attend any church. I do not "obey" the Bible.
In particular, telling women to shut-up in church.

So whoever knows the right thing to do
and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
Mathew 7: 12

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ultimately however, how is there any difference between our religion and our relationship to Christ? Our religion is our relationship to Christ.

See "Answered Prayer" in my sig file.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
To me, religion is the traditions of the denomination, works, things like that. Relationship would be your own personal walk with Him outside of church.

To which I would respond:

1) Why are you defining religion in this way? and
2) Why would one posit that the beliefs, practices, and the way in which we live out and engage our faith be in contrast with our relationship with and to God?

I would also say that "your own personal walk with [God] outside of church" isn't something that is going to make sense to most Christians, because this is where and how our relationship to God is found; because church isn't something we do once a week on a Sunday morning, it is the mystical Body of Christ in and through which Christ Himself and the Spirit operate to nourish, sustain us through Word and Sacrament. I do not relate to God through an esoteric, interior "me and Jesus" spirituality, I relate to God through the objective and external reality of God Himself made flesh in Jesus, crucified and raised from the dead, who acts upon me through the preaching of the word and the administration of the Sacraments. So, for example, the Eucharist is not just some "religious" or "churchly" rite I do because some reason; it is the very life-giving flesh and blood of Jesus which I receive in and under bread and wine; this is spiritual food and drink, nourishment to my faith, Christ Himself available through such mundane means, available because Christ instituted this Supper to be done for the good of His Church.

Thus this dichotomy of religion and relationship simply doesn't make sense to most Christians, it's simply not how our faith operates in real life--religion and relationship are the same, it is the intermingling of God and man together in the Church, in Christ, by the power and life of the Spirit. Through these Means God comes down and meets me, and I encounter God here by these means; here the Spirit makes alive, and I am in Christ and Christ in me by the power of the Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0