Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's just not limited to Christians. But I do partially fault them for constantly undermining education: creationism, intelligent design, revisionist Christian nation history, and don't forget the millions of dollars of wasted tax payer money on stupid lawsuits about 10 commandment monuments, prayer banners, portraits of Jesus, class prayer, religious assemblies, and Bible distribution in public schools - money that could have been spent on, oh, I don't know, students.

If I wasn't so die hard against conspiracy theories, it wouldn't be terribly difficult for me to believe that if there was one, it would involve the religious right.

The sheer weight and power wielded, the concerted efforts to fight against education and freedom of thought, the facade of the martyr complex; it's a machine that is overwhelming in stature.

And I've always been haunted by the quote attributed (but apparently misattributed as I just found out 30 seconds ago) to Sinclair Lewis, that if fascism comes to America, it will be found wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.

Perhaps more haunting is one of the quotes that apparently served as possible inspiration for the above misquote,

"When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled "made in Germany"; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, 'Americanism.'" - Halford E. Luccock (1938), Source

That of course comes also with it the story I read about Eberhard Bethge, the student and friend of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who while visiting the United States in the 80's was invited to come and visit Jerry Falwell's church where everyone who walked through the door was given a belt buckle with an American eagle, with the words "Jesus First"; for Bethge it was a dreadful reminder of the danger of confusing faith and patriotism, as he remembered quite clearly the way they had been and the way the Church and religion had been manipulated by the powers that be in Nazi Germany:

gottmuns.jpg

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
It's just not limited to Christians. But I do partially fault them for constantly undermining education: creationism, intelligent design, revisionist Christian nation history, and don't forget the millions of dollars of wasted tax payer money on stupid lawsuits about 10 commandment monuments, prayer banners, portraits of Jesus, class prayer, religious assemblies, and Bible distribution in public schools - money that could have been spent on, oh, I don't know, students.

but....but...the world is going to end any time now! Who cares about STUDENTS?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

If I wasn't so die hard against conspiracy theories, it wouldn't be terribly difficult for me to believe that if there was one, it would involve the religious right.

The sheer weight and power wielded, the concerted efforts to fight against education and freedom of thought, the facade of the martyr complex; it's a machine that is overwhelming in stature.

And I've always been haunted by the quote attributed (but apparently misattributed as I just found out 30 seconds ago) to Sinclair Lewis, that if fascism comes to America, it will be found wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.

Perhaps more haunting is one of the quotes that apparently served as possible inspiration for the above misquote,

"When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled "made in Germany"; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, 'Americanism.'" - Halford E. Luccock (1938), Source

That of course comes also with it the story I read about Eberhard Bethge, the student and friend of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who while visiting the United States in the 80's was invited to come and visit Jerry Falwell's church where everyone who walked through the door was given a belt buckle with an American eagle, with the words "Jesus First"; for Bethge it was a dreadful reminder of the danger of confusing faith and patriotism, as he remembered quite clearly the way they had been and the way the Church and religion had been manipulated by the powers that be in Nazi Germany:

gottmuns.jpg

-CryptoLutheran

It certainly feels like a bit of a conspiracy, doesn't it? The same way that group thinks secularism is trying to destroy them. They have a very specific vision for America. In fact, what would play perfectly in their favor is the explosive rise of the middle East as a caliphate or something like that. Then they could unite to destroy a common enemy.

This of course, absolutely undermining our freedom in the process of defending "Godly Patriotism" or some drivel.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Intense to consider.....

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);64156665 said:
Intense to consider.....

Luckily for Christians, not all is lost. While evangelical voices are loud and dominating, there is an increasing movement of intellectual Christians that posit their faith in a positive but engaging light. There is much to be gained from these discussions and I dare say these people are generally more liberal than their counterparts.

Upvote 0

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
This is mostly for the Jewish and Muslim brothers and sisters that post here. Does your faith support or deny a belief in evolution? Is evolution compatible with your faith or religion?

I am not jewish or muslim, but here is my two cents...

I would assume that my "faith" calls for people to have a "rational mind" with these kind of topics (this is not to say that disbelieve is not necessarily irrational). Evolution seems to be very compatible.

Upvote 0

HasAnswers

Sep 13, 2013
✟15,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"While evangelical voices are loud and dominating, there is an increasing movement of intellectual Christians that posit their faith in a positive but engaging light."

Excuse me? INTELLECTUAL? Loaded terminology much? So you're claiming that anyone who is a creationist is not intellectual? That's a poor stereotype, there are PLENTY of PHDs who are creationists? Who are you to call them non-intellectuals? Don't you think there might be good reasons to reject Darwinian Evolution?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me? INTELLECTUAL? Loaded terminology much? So you're claiming that anyone who is a creationist is not intellectual? That's a poor stereotype, there are PLENTY of PHDs who are creationists? Who are you to call them non-intellectuals? Don't you think there might be good reasons to reject Darwinian Evolution?

PhDs in what and from where?

No, I don't think there are any good reasons for the rejection. Were there great reasons, these vast intellectuals you describe should be able to write a peer-reviewed paper that presents an alternative.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
"While evangelical voices are loud and dominating, there is an increasing movement of intellectual Christians that posit their faith in a positive but engaging light."

Depends on what you mean by creationist. If you mean that they accept that a God could be responsible for evolution, geological formation etc. then sure, there are many educated people who believe.

If you mean young Earth Creationist that believes in a literal 7 day creation, then sorry no...I cannot take their scientific discourse very seriously, they aren't interested in scientific process: only in pushing a very specific religious message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums