Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Reliant movie:

full

The Reliant was recently released on DVD. It is a new Christian movie that is a little slow to start before it improves (story wise). At first, the film seems like a mindless action film but it later turns out to be pretty decent involving the characters and the story. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but the film has a good message on forgiveness and in trusting in God and in dealing with death of the ones we love. Okay that said, the one really bad thing about this movie (that I did not like) is that it promotes self defense by the use of guns.

This is a big problem because this denies one of the teachings of Jesus Christ (i.e. Jesus's teaching on Non-Resistance). In the movie they quote Luke 22:36-38 about how Jesus told the disciples to buy a sword, and the disciples brought forth two swords. This does not mean that the disciples understood Jesus on what sword He was really talking about. For surely two swords was not enough to fight against those who were seeking to arrest Jesus. In fact, Peter took his sword and chopped off Malchus's ear. Jesus did not say, "Good job, Peter! Finish him off!" No. That is not what Jesus said. Jesus said that He could have called down a legion of angels and He said that he that lives by the sword shall die by the sword. In other words, the disciples misunderstood Jesus. The Lord Jesus was referring to the sword of the Spirit (the communicated Word of God, i.e. Scripture).

Anyways, here is my....

Overall Rating for the Film:

C+

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just noticed what it said on the promotional art for the DVD release. It says protect family and faith at all costs. Faith should come first, and then family. They have the phrase backwards. Granted, this fits the movie I suppose. But this is not how things should be. Our faith must be before anything else.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This was absolutely one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. I have no clue what was going on in this ridiculous story - no! - there was no story. This was as bad as bad gets. Just plain stupid. I can't understand how films like this get made. Using guns for self defense is not my issue - I believe good guys should have guns - I don't believe idiots should make films.

For completely unknown reasons, anarchy takes over this town and the father is killed defending his family who takes to the woods to live in a teepee. I have no idea why anarchy has taken over or why they have ended up living in a teepee. Near the end, all the most popular Bible verses are cobbled together to explain why bad things happen to good people - this is a total insult to any one who has actually read the Bible. There is nothing in this film that makes sense. This is a complete and total waste of time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This was absolutely one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. I have no clue what was going on in this ridiculous story - no! - there was no story. This was as bad as bad gets. Just plain stupid. I can't understand how films like this get made. Using guns for self defense is not my issue - I believe good guys should have guns - I don't believe idiots should make films.

For completely unknown reasons, anarchy takes over this town and the father is killed defending his family who takes to the woods to live in a teepee. I have no idea why anarchy has taken over or why they have ended up living in a teepee. Near the end, all the most popular Bible verses are cobbled together to explain why bad things happen to good people - this is a total insult to any one who has actually read the Bible. There is nothing in this film that makes sense. This is a complete and total waste of time.

Well, I have seen a far lot more worse films, brother. Granted, the film was not very well thought out as well as it could be. I was being generous with my rating because it is a Christian film. Most Christian films are under extremely tight budgets and or they can be cheesy because they did not have the professional training to make a good movie. But there are a few gemstones out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was being generous with my rating because it is a Christian film.

Yes, I was overly harsh in my review. I think I've just seen too many bad Christian films and I'm so disappointed when I've set aside time that ends up being wasted. To be fair, there were some good lines of dialogue in this film - I just found the story to be full of holes. I praise God for those who are willing to make the effort to make Christian films.

Here's a list of some to consider: Movie Reviews Archives | What Does it Mean to Serve God

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I was overly harsh in my review. I think I've just seen too many bad Christian films and I'm so disappointed when I've set aside time that ends up being wasted. To be fair, there were some good lines of dialogue in this film - I just found the story to be full of holes. I praise God for those who are willing to make the effort to make Christian films.

Here's a list of some to consider: Movie Reviews Archives | What Does it Mean to Serve God

What did you think of "Overcomer"? It just came out also on DVD.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I am not generally a fan of their films, but I did like this one.

I'm not a big fan either, but they do make good films with well structured stories. This one is on my list.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status