Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can really relate to what you're saying. A good bit of my "problem" was all the things I'd started to see differently and needed to make my faith fit - and it wasn't, in the various Evangelical and Pentecostal background I came from.

But I had some major questions about Orthodoxy too!

I don't know if the parts that fit, and the questions I had, are the same ones you have in mind.

But anytime you want, feel free to bring your questions. I found answers for all of mine. And I'm sure the folks here would be happy to help.

One thing I can suggest, if you're at ALL up for it. It's almost Pascha. You might be interested to attend the Paschal service if there is a Church near you, and maybe even Friday evening's service before that. Our Church is usually packed for Pascha, and people from all sorts of backgrounds come, not only Orthodox. Some have told me they just find the service so moving - and it really IS amazing. Just since we are at that time of year, I thought I'd mention. :)

I do love Fr. Barnabas Powell. :) And Fr. Josiah Trenham as well. :)
There is an Orthodox Church in our town, and I've thought about visiting...it's a sensitive subject for my wife...she was previously married to a Messianic Jew who was very controlling, as was the church they attended...and she heard terrible things about Catholicism from her mother, that didn't have a great experience...so, she tends to be skeptical of more traditional churches. Hopefully we will get to visit an Orthodox service one day, but I don't want to until I know she would be open to it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is an Orthodox Church in our town, and I've thought about visiting...it's a sensitive subject for my wife...she was previously married to a Messianic Jew who was very controlling, as was the church they attended...and she heard terrible things about Catholicism from her mother, that didn't have a great experience...so, she tends to be skeptical of more traditional churches. Hopefully we will get to visit an Orthodox service one day, but I don't want to until I know she would be open to it.

does the local Church give talks and such? that way you can visit and talk to the priest about any questions, but there would be no commitment on your part that might give her the heebie jeebies

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would also recommend Timothy Ware's The Orthodox Way. The Orthodox Church is focused on history, doctrine and overview of the Eastern Church. The Orthodox Way is focused on Eastern Orthodox philosophy and thinking of Orthodox life.

Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
does the local Church give talks and such? that way you can visit and talk to the priest about any questions, but there would be no commitment on your part that might give her the heebie jeebies
I haven't noticed anything on their website for any seminars or anything, but I may call and see if I can get some info.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I haven't noticed anything on their website for any seminars or anything, but I may call and see if I can get some info.
If they offer a catechism class, that may be the simplest approach.
At our parish, anyone can come, there are no commitments, and questions are welcome.
There will likely be a topic for the evening, especially if the classes are in progress with other inquirers.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

you could even call to meet Father over some coffee to ask questions as well

Upvote 0