Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi all. I've recently become very interested in the Orthodox Church...to me, it seems apparent than in the battle of who the original church was, East or West...East wins.

Anyway, could some of you recommend some good resources to me, to learn more about the EOC? I've read a few things online, but some seem to contradict others...then I figure out I'm actually reading something posted by a Catholic, or some other faith group...so, I'd really like to find some sort of Orthodox for Dummies that is written by someone from within the Church.

Thanks for your help.

Drew

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello Big Drew, and welcome to TAW.

Most often if you're looking for general info, you will get a recommendation to read The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos Ware (or it may say Timothy Ware if you run across an old edition). I thought I had a link saved to the PDF of the older edition online, but now I can't find it. There is a large part (I think about half) of the book available online here.

If you're coming from a Pentecostal background, you might especially appreciate
Fr. Barnabas Powell's Orthodox Boot Camp series on You Tube.

Some other good resources if you like to listen to podcasts are available on AFR. I especially liked Fr. Even Armitas' Orthodoxy Live because he explains WHY the Church takes a certain stance. Fr. Barnabas Powell has a live call-in also (both have archives available) called Faith Encouraged Live - but sometimes his is topic-driven, sometimes open mic. Some good topical podcasts are Our Life In Christ from the archived podcasts, by Steve Robinson and Bill Gould.

I think I got them all linked now, I hope some of these might be helpful. :)

Feel free to ask questions too if you like, and I hope you'll feel welcomed here. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks Anastasia!

I was raised in the Episcopal Church, but as as an adult became Pentecostal, and was very much Pentecostal when I joined the forums here 8 years ago...Over the years I've become more interested in what others teach. No offense to my Pentecostal brethren, but a lot of times I feel as if the theology is watered down for the sake of experience...and I long for something more than just a feel good time in Jesus.

As I've gotten older I've come to miss the liturgy and tradition that I was raised in as an Episcopalian...but liberalism is so rampant within the ECUSA, that I can't, in good conscience, be a part of that. And there are no conservative Anglican churches in my area.

I am currently attending a nondenominational church, and am happy there...but, I'm always in pursuit of a closer walk with Christ. And believe there is much to be learned from the Orthodox. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see. :) And I can relate to much of what you are expressing.

Those are mostly general kinds of info I posted. You may end up liking Our Life in Christ the best of those (at least some topics - if you hit one that isn't what you expected, try another - the style varies slightly, and the ones on Great Lent are especially good). I'd still especially recommend Fr. Barnabas' YouTube series too.

You also just MIGHT really like something like Fr. Seraphim Aldea's Through a Monk's Eyes. (Especially the ones on prayer and even Confession. The one where he addresses violence and the ones on the Saints are not in quite the same vein as all the others.)

God be with you. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am also an Episcopalian turned evangelical (then turned Orthodox), and aside from what Anastasia has posted, I recommend the book Anglican Orthodox Pilgrimage. and I recommend checking out your local Orthodox Church for a service. all of what we believe is in how we worship.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I grew up in a Baptist family. The books I have found beneficial in my transition were: Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr Stephen Damick. This is book that gives some history,but was most useful in comparing and contrasting Orthodoxy with other traditions. The new edition releases at the end of the month.
Already mentioned, the Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware. This one gives a lot of history, names dates events.. some theology but more of a historical progression.

Coming from an evangelical background, the best book explaining theology that I have read is, Know the Faith by Michael Shanbour. It's a new book, it released during the summer 2016. It describes orthodox beliefs in a clear concise way.

Welcome and Godspeed!

• Informative
Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most often if you're looking for general info, you will get a recommendation to read The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos Ware (or it may say Timothy Ware if you run across an old edition). I thought I had a link saved to the PDF of the older edition online, but now I can't find it. There is a large part (I think about half) of the book available online here.
Try here for the full text :)
Orthodox Church - Table of Contents - IntraText CT
Once you are into the text, I suggest you click the link near the top of the page to hide the links to concordance. Much easier to read that way.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We also have a subforum up the top that has heaps of links to good resources.
St. Athanasius Chapel and Reference Library

Hopefully most of the links are current and not broken. Some of those threads have been there for a while and the sites they link to have changes made to their structure from time to time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Michael Pomazansky is a great book for what you are looking for:
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology: A Concise Exposition: Michael Pomazansky, Seraphim Rose: 9780938635697: Amazon.com: Books

Also it is a little steep for an intro book but Vladimir Lossky's Book "The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church," is a great book as well. I would also add that unless you have a basic familiarity with Greek, it might be hard to understand, this is a little easier read once you have been exposed to Orthodoxy for a while:
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church: Vladimir Lossky: 9780913836316: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just finished the last video of the Boot Camp series...also watched the Rock and Sand videos over the last couple of days...very informative, thank you.

I have to say, a lot of things are making sense to me...things that I've believed, or have come to believe, that haven't meshed with the evangelical churches I've been attending...it's comforting to know that my beliefs on certain things are not just something I came up with on my own...that there are others that see things as I do. That being said, there are still a lot of questions, much about Orthodoxy that I don't understand. Perhaps I will at some point, but even if I don't...I have a much greater respect for the faith than I did previously.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just finished the last video of the Boot Camp series...also watched the Rock and Sand videos over the last couple of days...very informative, thank you.

I have to say, a lot of things are making sense to me...things that I've believed, or have come to believe, that haven't meshed with the evangelical churches I've been attending...it's comforting to know that my beliefs on certain things are not just something I came up with on my own...that there are others that see things as I do. That being said, there are still a lot of questions, much about Orthodoxy that I don't understand. Perhaps I will at some point, but even if I don't...I have a much greater respect for the faith than I did previously.

I can really relate to what you're saying. A good bit of my "problem" was all the things I'd started to see differently and needed to make my faith fit - and it wasn't, in the various Evangelical and Pentecostal background I came from.

But I had some major questions about Orthodoxy too!

I don't know if the parts that fit, and the questions I had, are the same ones you have in mind.

But anytime you want, feel free to bring your questions. I found answers for all of mine. And I'm sure the folks here would be happy to help.

One thing I can suggest, if you're at ALL up for it. It's almost Pascha. You might be interested to attend the Paschal service if there is a Church near you, and maybe even Friday evening's service before that. Our Church is usually packed for Pascha, and people from all sorts of backgrounds come, not only Orthodox. Some have told me they just find the service so moving - and it really IS amazing. Just since we are at that time of year, I thought I'd mention. :)

I do love Fr. Barnabas Powell. :) And Fr. Josiah Trenham as well. :)

Upvote 0