Lobethal
✟14,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My main source of Orthodox Theology and Worldview is via Jay Dyer. This was somewhat by happenstance and I plan on, and have started reading and searching out, alternative sources, but it was largely through him that I became drawn back to the Revelation of Christ via Orthodoxy.
I was just wondering how familiar others are with his work and whether or not his Theology is reliable. He's certainly well read and appears to grasp other subjects he speaks of quite astutely.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In other threads people have said that his theology is Orthodox, and he is an Orthodox Christian, but I've not personally read anything from him.

While it's good he brought you to the faith I'd say one can never go wrong with reading the Church Fathers for theological information.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My main source of Orthodox Theology and Worldview is via Jay Dyer.
I was just wondering how familiar others are with his work and whether or not his Theology is reliable. He's certainly well read and appears to grasp other subjects he speaks of quite astutely.

Never heard of him...

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
Lobethal
✟14,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in my reading of his stuff, it's usually good but you gotta get past his ego.

Yes, I'm well accustomed to his ego...I've become quote proficient at filtering that sort of thing out. It's a pity someone so learned on such things has that as part of his character, though not at all unusual and not something we probably don't all struggle with at times... it's good to know his Theology is on point though. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
Lobethal
✟14,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good theology and philosophy. I follow his work and find it high quality.

This is my thoughts concerning his philosophy as well, I was hoping it was a similar story regarding his Theology. I'm glad it seems to be vindicated by people here.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I'm well accustomed to his ego...I've become quote proficient at filtering that sort of thing out. It's a pity someone so learned on such things has that as part of his character, though not at all unusual and not something we probably don't all struggle with at times... it's good to know his Theology is on point though. Thanks.

yeah, he's usually pretty on point, but that aspect can be distracting when you read his stuff.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My main source of Orthodox Theology and Worldview is via Jay Dyer. This was somewhat by happenstance and I plan on, and have started reading and searching out, alternative sources, but it was largely through him that I became drawn back to the Revelation of Christ via Orthodoxy.
He's bad stuff, he's been Orthodox for about year, though, so maybe he's gotten better.

Reactions: RobNJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 16, 2019
Lobethal
✟14,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's bad stuff, he's been Orthodox for about year, though, so maybe he's gotten better.

I'm curious to know what you mean by "bad stuff"? I'm not sure how long he's been Orthodox but I just listened to a podcast where its evident he's been studying scripture for a long time including Orthodox material for over a decade.
Regardless, I've been listening to him for a couple of years now and he's definitely not "bad stuff". The time he's been Orthodox shouldn't come into an opinion on whether his Theology is correct.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious to know what you mean by "bad stuff"? I'm not sure how long he's been Orthodox but I just listened to a podcast where its evident he's been studying scripture for a long time including Orthodox material for over a decade.
Regardless, I've been listening to him for a couple of years now and he's definitely not "bad stuff". The time he's been Orthodox shouldn't come into an opinion on whether his Theology is correct.
Alt right conspiracy theorist.

I second the recommendations above to instead listen to AFR or OCN.

Reactions: RobNJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I should listen to David Bentley Hart, he is Orthodox and since he is a theologian he is reliable to understand the faith.

no, DBH is not reliable...at all...and his ego is greater than Dyer's

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
no, DBH is not reliable...at all...and his ego is greater than Dyer's
yeah, I've heard he has an almost cult-like following, in addition
he is a theologian
If you're looking for a theologian, remember what the fathers say in various different ways: "lex orandi, lex credendi" or " a theologian is one who prays"

There are three official "Theologians" in the Orthodox Church, St John the Theologian (the author of the Gospel), St Gregory the Theologian, and St Symeon the New Theologian - maybe you could try to find a copy of some of their stuff; I haven't read St Symeon but the other two are great

Upvote 0