Relationships, do you believe in "the one"?

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember being a young Christian and thinking there was "the one" for me. I was young and single, and anytime I met a pretty Christian girl that was new to our church, I'd think... is she "the one". lol Funny what you think about when you're 17 years old.

I'm 34 now, and after being happily married for 13 years to the love of my life, it's kinda funny, as neither my wife or I believe there is only one person out there for you. In fact, where the heck does that even come from?? I don't ever recall that being in the Bible...

So what do you think, do you believe in the "one" for you? If so, do you have a Biblical basis for your thinking?

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
no, i don't believe in it, there's no biblical support or examples of it, and people watch too many disney movies.

rebekah for issac was simply a situation where God provided a suitable woman for issac. she wasn't "the one" but merely the 'right one'. there were other women out there who were like rebekah but she was the one that was available at the time.

Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, i don't believe in it, there's no biblical support or examples of it, and people watch too many disney movies.

rebekah for issac was simply a situation where God provided a suitable woman for issac. she wasn't "the one" but merely the 'right one'. there were other women out there who were like rebekah but she was the one that was available at the time.
Agree'd, I think it's just purely social convention.

Upvote 0

Even So

Oct 8, 2016
Fulton NY
✟8,726.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember being a young Christian and thinking there was "the one" for me. I was young and single, and anytime I met a pretty Christian girl that was new to our church, I'd think... is she "the one". lol Funny what you think about when you're 17 years old.

I'm 34 now, and after being happily married for 13 years to the love of my life, it's kinda funny, as neither my wife or I believe there is only one person out there for you. In fact, where the heck does that even come from?? I don't ever recall that being in the Bible...

So what do you think, do you believe in the "one" for you? If so, do you have a Biblical basis for your thinking?
Well, at first i would say that is a scary thought and i fear for your marriage. On second thought, if you guys are up front about the fact that should something happen to you, GOD forbid of course, then you would want each other to be happy and have that support you need. I wish i had a marriage that i could have been that open with. I commend you and wish the LORD's blessings on you.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I believe there is "the one".

If you are a man, you get married to a woman in the Church, you stay married to that woman, and she becomes the one more and more as time and Love bear onward into the Kingdom of God and Eternal Life as one flesh.

The same applies to a woman who gets married to a man in the Church.

Upvote 0

Even So

Oct 8, 2016
Fulton NY
✟8,726.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't think they mean adultery/polygamy.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The way I tend to see it, is that there might be several people who share the necessary foundation with you, in order to build a relationship. But then the two of you will have to actually build it. And that this won't be possible without actual commitment, love and loyalty to each other. So to me, the concept of "the one" is something that can be created, but not something pre-made that you just stumble upon. Even basic friendship works the same way.

A few years ago I tried online dating for a little while, and I concluded that it was completely pointless. I wasn't really getting to know anybody through coffee dates, and I knew my coworkers far better after just two weeks working with them because our jobs were very challenging and required a lot of teamwork. Funnily enough I developed a small crush on a male coworker of mine, while we were in the midst of doing the careful tango that is trying to control and direct a large/strong dementia patient without being inhumane (yet still getting the job done). So there we were, in the bathroom of this nursing home, with gross bodily fluids from an old person on ourselves, smelling bad and looking pretty awful (us, not the patient), and getting slammed around in a situation that was rather stressful, gross and awkward all rolled into one, with a screaming naked person between us. I mean you all get the picture, my apologies for it. But it wasn't exactly a nice little coffee shop scene. But I observed that he had very high quality of character, that he was very patient, protective and compassionate, and that he could work well with me, being both respectful of me while still being a leader at the same time, so there in that place and situation of all places, I realized that I was really starting to like this guy. Of course, so did every other female caregiver in the place lol, so the competition was pretty fierce, but the point being that I realized that if I ever did have a relationship again, I wanted to build it, not find it. Build its foundation by first developing a camaraderie with a guy through shared efforts that reveal our nature.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is an initial attraction “yes”, but you both have to build on that and in a sense make each other “the one”, otherwise the answer is probably “No”. The only basis I have for that thinking is 31 years of marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't used to think there was "the one": but recently I've started reconsidering that it may actually be true. It was when this huge spotlight shined down from yon heaven, and down onto the stage and I went like this:

giphy.gif

But whether there is a "one" or not, it's a great gif isn't it? But all I know is I went from "Please. There is no such a thing as 'the one' it's all ... just ..." to "Suddenly it's not out of the question..."

• Haha
Reactions: Sir Robbins
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, at first i would say that is a scary thought and i fear for your marriage. On second thought, if you guys are up front about the fact that should something happen to you, GOD forbid of course, then you would want each other to be happy and have that support you need. I wish i had a marriage that i could have been that open with. I commend you and wish the LORD's blessings on you.
What do you mean? I think it would be foolish for me to believe my wife thinks I'm the "only one". In some respects that might be more damaging to a relationship in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I didn't used to think there was "the one": but recently I've started reconsidering that it may actually be true. It was when this huge spotlight shined down from yon heaven, and down onto the stage and I went like this:

giphy.gif

But whether there is a "one" or not, it's a great gif isn't it? But all I know is I went from "Please. There is no such a thing as 'the one' it's all ... just ..." to "Suddenly it's not out of the question..."

were you looking at a woman or a vehicle?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I do not believe there is "the one" because I have never found it in scripture. The reality of life is harsh. It is the person who wants to go through life with you accepting the terms, doing your best to stay true to each other and succeeding. Love grows with familiarity and commitment.

Upvote 0

Mograce2U

Mar 22, 2006
Los Angeles
✟15,648.00
Faith
Christian
...In fact, where the heck does that even come from?? I don't ever recall that being in the Bible...

That music video from Tim Minchin was interesting and would have been funny if it wasn't so commonly believed today. Finding "the one" is of the same ilk, romantic perhaps but certainly not biblical.

However becoming one IS biblical and requires much more than one's selfish carnal desires.

And for the person who thinks God picked Rebecca for Isaac was simply because she was the most suitable one available, need to read her Book more...

Upvote 0