mandii_ck

Jan 8, 2010
michigan
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My question is kind of complicated but I'll try to explain it the best I can.. I'm a born again christian as of January 2, 2010 so I've been one for 10 days.. I know I'm supposed to have a relationship with God and like any other relationship, it will grow and improve with time..

Well I always hear about Christians who God communicates with personally.. He talks to them, tells/shows them things with visions and all kinds of amazing things cause they have a close relationship with the Lord..

Well I don't know if I'm right or wrong to feel this way but when I hear about those kind of things I kind of feel left out.. I want God to talk to me and tell me n show me things..

Am I doing something wrong or is it cause my relationship isn't strong enough cause I've only been saved for 10 days? -- Do I have to wait for so much time to pass or is their something I need to do? -- What is the process of spiritual growth and the process of becoming closer to God supposed to be like?

Reactions: JCFantasy23

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) Hi mandii...I'm so glad you've come into a relationship with Jesus.

In my experience God deals diferently with different people. Some people have visions and things, but not everyone necessarilly. Some people might have one vision, but never have another (so far as i know). You just have to wait and see how God wants to relate wth you and how and what He wants to teach you, help you etc.
I have to admit I've sometimes felt somewhat envious of some people who seem to have had more amazing experiences than I have...but really, I don't think it matters if one doesn't. God impressed on me once what it says in Scripture 'Blessed are those who believe without seeing'.
The only thing I can think to advise is to read the Bible, pray and continue in your relationship with God and other believers. God may or may not do these things with you..if He does, well and good, if he doesn't well and good.
God also shows or tells or intimates things to you in lots of different ways. Often when you're least expecting it, and not in the ways you expect.
He hasn't said anything in particular to me for yonks..but that's ok cos i know he's still there..He doesn't ALways have to be doing or saying things in a very obvious way.
I'm sure others will have more comments and advice to give. :)

Upvote 0

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

To me, a relationship with God should basically look like one that you'd have with a best friend. If you're best friends with someone, you wouldn't expect to never communicate with them, so that's the first thing you need. A great way to communicate is through prayer. Tell God everything that's happening in your life. Even though he already knows everything about you, talking to him about stuff shows him that you care and want to have a strong relationship with him. Bring him your sins, your worrys, your doubts, thank him for blessings, ask him to change you, be humble towards him. You need trust also, try learning how to put 100% trust in him. This means trust for everything, no matter how small or pointless it may seem. Another thing you need is, love. Love makes you want to do things for him, to please him, and to do what he tells you to do.

I hope what I said helps you out :) I probably forgot some stuff though

Upvote 0

SolaVeritas

Jan 7, 2010
✟7,722.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
When I was a brandnew Christian (and even now), I often prayed for God to reveal Himself to me. How He will answer that prayer and when is up to Him. As you grow in knowledge of who He is, you will grow in willingness to obey him, and that opens the door for Him to communicate with you. Don't look to other people too much, just wait and see what He wants to do in your life. He might want you to grow in faith (believing without seeing or hearing) for some time. Never doubt His wisdom, He will do everything in His time.
Blessings to you :)

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is kind of complicated but I'll try to explain it the best I can.. I'm a born again christian as of January 2, 2010 so I've been one for 10 days.. I know I'm supposed to have a relationship with God and like any other relationship, it will grow and improve with time..

Well I always hear about Christians who God communicates with personally.. He talks to them, tells/shows them things with visions and all kinds of amazing things cause they have a close relationship with the Lord..

Well I don't know if I'm right or wrong to feel this way but when I hear about those kind of things I kind of feel left out.. I want God to talk to me and tell me n show me things..

Am I doing something wrong or is it cause my relationship isn't strong enough cause I've only been saved for 10 days? -- Do I have to wait for so much time to pass or is their something I need to do? -- What is the process of spiritual growth and the process of becoming closer to God supposed to be like?
Here are some tips for getting closer to God:

Be real with God. God is not a dead God confined to the Bible. He is a living God, a living Spirit. The Holy Spirit is omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-8).

Don't pray like the other Christians do. If you have something to ask, ask like you're going to ask your best friend.

Spend some time with God. Turn off your television, computer, etc.

Know His personal name. His personal name is Abba (Galatians 4:6).

Don't get too involved in theological arguments. God is not interested.

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mandii, relationship builds with time. You don't become best friends with someone the first time you meet them. . . the longer the relationship the stronger, when you weather some of life's storms together, joys and sorrows. It will build. Enjoy this time knowing that if you seek first the Kingdom of God. . . all that other stuff will come in due time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't pray like the other Christians do. If you have something to ask, ask like you're going to ask your best friend.
Who are you to judge how others pray?

Know His personal name. His personal name is Abba (Galatians 4:6).
Galatians 4:
6and because ye are sons, God did send forth the spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, `Abba, Father!'
Those words don't belong to us. Revelations 19
9And he saith to me, `Write: Happy [are] they who to the supper of the marriage of the Lamb have been called;' and he saith to me, `These [are] the true words of God;'
10and I fell before his feet, to bow before him, and he saith to me, `See -- not! fellow servant of thee am I, and of thy brethren, those having the testimony of Jesus; bow before God, for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of the prophecy.'
11And I saw the heaven having been opened, and lo, a white horse, and he who is sitting upon it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness doth he judge and war,
12and his eyes [are] as a flame of fire, and upon his head [are] many diadems -- having a name written that no one hath known, except himself, 13and he is arrayed with a garment covered with blood, and his name is called, The Word of God.
Abba isn't a personal name, it is a title. Scripture makes it clear, there are many words used for God, but the personal name is too Holy for human ears in this life.

Don't get too involved in theological arguments. God is not interested.
God is interested in the truth, the truth sets us free, God's desire for us is freedom from that which would bind us.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the folks here. I talk to God all the time. When I'm outside working or in the kitchen, I talk to Him. I say "what do you think of this?" or "should I do this?" etc.

And I get on my knees everyday and pray. In this way, I feel like He's part of me, which He is.

So, if your car breaks down or something, remember God is with you in that predicament. Just expect Him to fix the situation. He will give you a thought to act on. Or move an outside party to come to help you. It's wonderful.

Hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Every relationship with God is different. Just pray, and remember to both speak to God and to listen for Him. Obey Him in little things, and it will be easier to hear Him in bigger ones. I passed a woman in Walmart the other day, and His Spirit spoke to me: "She needs a cup of coffee."

What could I do? I approached her and told her that God had told me to buy her coffee. She balked at first, but some others standing around encouraged her, and she was very grateful. Now, what good does a cup of coffee make? Well, my kids got the message - obey God. The lady got the message - God loves you. The people around also got the message - Isn't that sweet. Maybe we should do something like that. That's a lot of return for a dollar cup.

Just obey. Read the Bible, where you learn about your new Friend, but listen to Him in your heart as well. Find a good friend who's been in the faith a while, and that you trust, and ask them about their experiences. But don't expect yours to be exactly the same. God approaches each of us differently.

Upvote 0