• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Relapsing Back To inappropriate content & Masturbation

PistolPete9

Dec 9, 2017
Melbourne
✟8,446.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all

Greetings from Australia :)

How are you all fairing?

I will cut to the chase, I am a Born-Again Christian who loves Christ however just like a lot of men (and women) I struggle with habitual sins of inappropriate content & masturbation. For the past 2 weeks I was able to control my urges but just last night I fell back into it again and gave into my flesh. I always think that I am running out of chances with God and thinking He must be so sick of me doing this but the issue is I want to quit but my main problem is that I don't know how to quit. I keep telling myself I wont do it again and boom boom I do it again!

With repentence I normally repent straight away about other sins however I have refrained from repenting to God (at the moment) about this recent inappropriate content and masturbation misadventure until I am fully ready and in the right channel, I don't know if I am doing anything wrong (maybe someone on this site can help me out) but I don't want to repent of this sin to God just for the sake of repenting if you all know what I mean, when I repent I want it to be a genuine repentance to God from the bottom of my heart and I want to sincerely mean it but at the moment I have so much guilt and remorse for what I have done I don't want God to think of me as a fake repentant sinner.

Not sure if anyone elese does this also (refrains from repenting straight away until they are ready) would really love some advice with this.

Thank you in advance and God bless you all abundantly xxxx

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both habit and lust make it difficult to stop. What you need to do is realize it's a want and not a need. It helps if you admit the problem to address the causes. Think about more important things you could put before it, what else it is you could do. These things should be far from self-centered as possible. Considering how it affects your relationship with God as a Christian, those around you, and those in the industry you support.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You do well to see your sins. Repent. Trust in God.

For me, it is adultery. Lusting and coveting another. Satisfying the flesh!

As a Catholic I always feel MASSIVELY guilty afterwards and immediately seek confession with a desire not to fall again. But, I do fall again! And again, and again! But! I love God so much that I won't give in to Satan. I will continue, if I sin, i get back up and run to God!

Please, repent. Seek absolution. For me, as a Catholic, that means confession with a priest. It is a wonderful sacrament indeed.

Don't listen to the atheist above. Carry your cross for Jesus. You can rebuke the devil. You can be pure.

This is what I want. I dearly want to be pure, celibate and chaste, for Our Lord. It is not easy to refrain from pleasures of the flesh. I know first hand myself my friend. You are not alone.

God knows your struggles. Turn to God.

God bless you my friend in Christ

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What helped me is when I realized that sin can become habitual whether it be inappropriate content or some other addiction. A vicious cycle. Then I read Rom 8:13 "For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." This verse is addressed to believers and warns that they will die IF they are living according to the flesh. This can't refer to physical death because everyone dies physically - irrespective of the manner of life which they live. It therefore refers to spiritual death. Paul warned the brethren in Rome that they face spiritual death and no eternal life IF they live lives of disobedience marked by habitual sin. Genuine repentance involves a change in behavior. If our behavior is not changed then it demonstrates that we haven't really repented. When I realized that, then it changed my attitude toward sin realizing that I truly need to change my behavior whether it be lust or anger, impatience, controlling my tongue, etc. In reality I had been presuming on God's grace in order to just continue in sin. I had to and have to confront sin on a daily basis which is the battle we all are in.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi all

How are you all fairing?

I will cut to the chase, I am a Born-Again Christian who loves Christ however just like a lot of men (and women) I struggle with habitual sins of inappropriate content & masturbation. For the past 2 weeks I was able to control my urges but just last night I fell back into it again and gave into my flesh. I always think that I am running out of chances with God and thinking He must be so sick of me doing this but the issue is I want to quit but my main problem is that I don't know how to quit. I keep telling myself I wont do it again and boom boom I do it again!

With repentence I normally repent straight away about other sins however I have refrained from repenting to God (at the moment) about this recent inappropriate content and masturbation misadventure until I am fully ready and in the right channel, I don't know if I am doing anything wrong (maybe someone on this site can help me out) but I don't want to repent of this sin to God just for the sake of repenting if you all know what I mean, when I repent I want it to be a genuine repentance to God from the bottom of my heart and I want to sincerely mean it but at the moment I have so much guilt and remorse for what I have done I don't want God to think of me as a fake repentant sinner.

Not sure if anyone elese does this also (refrains from repenting straight away until they are ready) would really love some advice with this.

So you're human. Being human happens. What's importance is that you don't beat yourself up for sinning, but actually trust God will work it out for you. You are already born-again, and God is convicting your heart, so you're not losing your salvation over it.

It sounds like you're trying to move away off of your own strength, and dealing with it on a surface level, instead of dealing with why its become a go-to thing you resort to in the first place. Are there any triggers? Stress? Loneliness? Certain events that has happened? From previous past? Its okay not to know exactly what right now, but write them down and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you through the Word on how to address some of the underlying issues. Ask God for strength everyday, and lean on Him to slowly take you away from that.

More than likely, its not just as simple as "oh the problem is inappropriate content and touching yourself", (though cutting it off helps) but its a result of other issues, that inappropriate content is providing a relief and escape from. For me, once I stop trying be controlling and tight about every move, and just let God guide me through my issues, slowly the roots of it gets cut off until inappropriate content became no longer an issue. If you not addressing the roots of it, it will just be a cycle for you.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Keep praying for God to take the temptation away and heal you. "Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil."

I prayed and prayed for years before God delivered me from that addiction. But now I'm free and I feel great, praise God!

I can't tell you how wonderful it is not to do that or even think about it anymore. God will mold you and make you into the image of His blessed Son. Just keep praying and keep the faith, brother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
@PistolPete9 , what if you were an atheist? Would you view this as a problem then? Or what if you knew that God didn't care about this behavior except for wanting the best for you?

Maybe if you see God as your helper instead of as your judge, then you will have better luck quitting or finding a healthy balance? In other words, decide for yourself what is best for you as though God did not exist, and then ask God's help. The idea is to see that this is what you want for yourself - not a sacrifice you are making to please God.

• Informative
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all

How are you all fairing?

Pistol Pete,

I may be alone in this view; but, I love God who chose to wake me up when He didn't have to.

According to Jesus, there are two great commands. Love God with all that you are and love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus told us that "treating others as you would want them to treat you" fulfills the law and the prophets. Jesus also talked about "lusting after a woman in your heart" as a sin. If you process things through that, then choosing to view inappropriate content is bad for both you and for those who are used by an industry that makes them no different than virtual prostitutes. Masturbation, in itself, I don't believe is a sin; but when you are envisioning having sex with another, you are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PistolPete9

Dec 9, 2017
Melbourne
✟8,446.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would really like to sincerely thank everyone who has contributed to my post. I have since repented of last night's indiscretions & really value all your inputs, just gonna keep fighting the good fight as they say and if I stumble again I am going to get up, dust myself off and start again and ask God for his guidance.

I love you all, God Bless xxxx

Upvote 0

PistolPete9

Dec 9, 2017
Melbourne
✟8,446.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted to add a few things to this post and I hope you guys (and girls lol) can help me out but if I get the dirty thoughts of the inappropriate content surface in my head and my mind temporarily drifts on those thoughts but I don't act upon them and quickly try to think of something else is that a sin of me just quickly adhering to those dirty thoughts for a moment before trying to break away?

I am going to be honest tonight I just had some evil dirty thoughts go through my mind but I have ignored them but they seem to come back. I really want to get rid of these dirty thoughts so bad.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am going to be honest tonight I just had some evil dirty thoughts go through my mind but I have ignored them but they seem to come back. I really want to get rid of these dirty thoughts so bad.
Those thoughts and images will only go away when you "renew your mind." That is done by a lot of bible reading/study and prayer. They will lessen over time. Will you ever completely forget them? Probably not.

Reactions: John Goodness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just wanted to add a few things to this post and I hope you guys (and girls lol) can help me out but if I get the dirty thoughts of the inappropriate content surface in my head and my mind temporarily drifts on those thoughts but I don't act upon them and quickly try to think of something else is that a sin of me just quickly adhering to those dirty thoughts for a moment before trying to break away?

It takes a lot of work to get past those sins that have a stronghold in our life. Seek the victory WITH Jesus. Walk WITH Him and let Him walk with you.

This issue can bring you closer to God in a good way if it increases your faith and trust.

Reactions: John Goodness
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Nqzklaa.jpg
ON!

Thread closed for cleanup. We'll try to get it open again as soon as possible.

Nqzklaa.jpg
OFF!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON!

This thread has been cleaned up! Some posts were removed as unhelpful, and others were debating. We request members keep that in mind when posting in Recovery. Thank you, everyone, for your contributions. :)

MOD HAT OFF!

Upvote 0