• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH ?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Douglas Hendrickson, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Douglas Hendrickson

Douglas Hendrickson Well-Known Member Supporter

+122
    Pentecostal
    Private
    We are told in a certain version (NIV is indicated) of I Cor. 13:6 that LOVE "... rejoices with the truth.

How does this make sense, that is, what kind of sense is there to this?

Seems it could be that truth is an instrument to make rejoicing possible ?

Seems it could be that love and truth together rejoice ?

Could it possibly be that "LOVE ... rejoiceth in the truth" (AV) is the only translation that makes sense?
    (Or, in other words, is at all theologically defensible?)

2. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

+42
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Married
    1 John 4:16 (Amp) And we know (understand, recognize, are conscious of, by observation and by experience) and believe (adhere to and put faith in and rely on) the love God cherishes for us. God is love, and he who dwells {and} continues in love dwells {and} continues in God, and God dwells {and} continues in him.
    Rom 8:39 (Amp) Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 15:5 (Amp) I am the Vine; you are the branches
    (when you, previously a piece of branch cut off the Adam vine, then grafted into the Vine by Father). Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing

1 Cor 13:4 (Amp) Love endures long {and} is patient and kind; love never is envious {nor} boils over with jealousy, is not boastful {or} vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
    1 Cor 13:5 (Amp) It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) {and} does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights {or} its own way, {for} it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy {or} fretful {or} resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
    1 Cor 13:6 (Amp) It does not rejoice at injustice {and} unrighteousness, but rejoices when right {and} truth prevail.

3. Serving Zion

Serving Zion Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness Supporter

+265
    Christian
    Private
    Inspecting the interlinear translation shows that "rejoices with" is a single word in the Greek: συνχαίρει (synchairei), and it maps to Strong's word concordance #4796:

Definition: I rejoice with, congratulate.
    • to rejoice with, take part in another's joy
    • with a dative of the person with whom one rejoices, with a dative of the thing
    • to rejoice together, of many,

.. I would tend to read it just as the AMP version did well to say, that when the truth prevails, I rejoice!