Rejecting compliments with "I'm not worthy" is an insult to god who gave us life as well as gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Like I said before: it's a simple pass/fail test

God doesn't love people, he loves righteousness. What happens to each of us is largely irrelevant and we are nothing unless we pass the test. If we pass then we get a new identity. That is the only way to no longer be garbage.
Jesus died for us to give us His righteousness, because we cannot be righteous on our own. That's love!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You can go back and look at the posts. But why does it matter? I'm not here to quarrel.

True. Because he loved his life more than he loved God. A lot of people in the church today do.

No quarreling coming from here. You began responding to my posts, i believe?

I was merely clarifying my posts in my responses to your posts.

The subject of "false piety" and "humble bragging", is a crucial one, as pride is so subtle that it is infiltrated and woven into all of it.

Ad nauseam.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
No quarreling coming from here. You began responding to my posts, i believe?

I was merely clarifying my posts in my responses to your posts.

The subject of "false piety" and "humble bragging", is a crucial one, as pride is so subtle that it is infiltrated and woven into all of it.

Ad nauseam.
False piety is the leaven of the Pharisees. It leavens the whole lump.

But fearing the Lord and giving praise to Him is humility. Something that is definitely lacking today.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
False piety is the leaven of the Pharisees. It leavens the whole lump.

But fearing the Lord and giving praise to Him is humility. Something that is definitely lacking today.

"False piety" is akin to "humble bragging".

It's a very subtle and perhaps more insidious form of "pride".

It's basically "showing off" how "humble" and/or "pious" one is.

And making sure ev'ry one knows it.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"False piety" is akin to "humble bragging".

It's a very subtle and perhaps more insidious form of "pride".

It's basically "showing off" how "humble" and/or "pious" one is.

And making sure ev'ry one knows it.
I agree. And that's what the Pharisees were doing.

But it's not what is being addressed in this thread.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Luke 18:9-14

Who is showing humility in the eyes of God?

The man who stood afar off was as the repentant thief on the cross was. Both were recognizing WHO God is, and that we are as filthy rags before Him. Both sought God's mercy and grace. This, in itself, requires a Godly "humility".

The word "humility" perhaps needs to be studied more. The very mention of it can sometimes trigger "false piety", and "humble bragging".

Again the quote i posted earlier? It sums up what "real humility" means and is.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus died for us to give us His righteousness, because we cannot be righteous on our own. That's love!

Only if you believe it. If you don't believe it then love basically doesn't exist. Even though it technically exists independent of ourselves it absolutely does not matter if it exists unless we partake in it.

• Winner
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The man who stood afar off was as the repentant thief on the cross was. Both were recognizing WHO God is, and that we are as filthy rags before Him. Both sought God's mercy and grace. This, in itself, requires a Godly "humility".

The word "humility" perhaps needs to be studied more. The very mention of it can sometimes trigger "false piety", and "humble bragging".

Again the quote i posted earlier? It sums up what "real humility" means and is.
I think the Bible sums up what real humility is much better. Jesus was the perfect example of it.

Don't judge people for following His example, as we are commanded to do.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the Bible sums up what real humility is much better. Jesus was the perfect example of it.

Don't judge people for following His example, as we are commanded to do.

Yes, for example, Proverbs is chock-full of what pride and humility is and how the wiles of the devil enter into "false humility", which, when pride is present, can be a very subtle form of seeking accolades and "recognition" about how "humble" one is.

Ad nauseam.

:sick:

This quote sums up exactly what the Bible testifies to again and again about TRUE "humility".

iu

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Only if you believe it. If you don't believe it then love basically doesn't exist. Even though it technically exists independent of ourselves it absolutely does not matter if it exists unless we partake in it.
God exists whether you believe in Him or not. Your salvation depends on your faith, not His existence will always be true.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, for example, Proverbs is chock-full of what pride and humility is and how the wiles of the devil enter into "false humility", which, when pride is present, can be a very subtle form of seeking accolades and "recognition" about how "humble" one is.

Ad nauseam.

:sick:

This quote sums up exactly what the Bible testifies to again and again about TRUE "humility".

iu
I agree. I've seen this a lot.

But giving praise to God for what He has done and because you love Him, is not one of the ways this can happen. I've gotten nothing but persecution for that. From believers and unbelievers alike. Because it offends the flesh.
It also crucifies the flesh, and it pleases God.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. I've seen this a lot.

But giving praise to God for what He has done and because you love Him, is not one of the ways this can happen. I've gotten nothing but persecution for that. From believers and unbelievers alike. Because it offends the flesh.
It also crucifies the flesh, and it pleases God.
I've seen this a lot.

So have i.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So have i.
There is a good way we can measure if what we are showing is true humility and devotion to God, or false humility and devotion to self.

"Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man." Luke 6:22

"Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets." Luke 6:26

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a good way we can measure if what we are showing is true humility and devotion to God, or false humility and devotion to self.

"Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man." Luke 6:22

"Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets." Luke 6:26

Not always.

Sometimes the hatred is a response to an unbearably insufferable issue with the one hated. In that regard the hated one has brought it on themselves, and it is the fruit they bear for being so insufferable. To then hide behind a Bible verse is denial of the worst kind and the antithesis to anything Godly.

It's more like a bad case of narcissism.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Not always.

Sometimes the hatred is a response to an unbearably insufferable issue with the one hated. In that regard the hated one has brought it on themselves, and it is the fruit they bear for being so insufferable. To then hide behind a Bible verse is denial of the worst kind and the antithesis to anything Godly.

It's more like a bad case of narcissism.
Wow! So much hatred in one response...

"Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him." 1 John 3:15

Is this really something that you want to hold on to?

• Prayers
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow! So much hatred in one response...

"Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him." 1 John 3:15

Is this really something that you want to hold on to?

Interesting take on my post.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually woke up this morning thinking to myself, "Am I worthy of God's love?" Or is anyone else worthy of God's love? I think this probably came about to bother me because there is a song I recently heard titled, "A Name I Cannot Speak" by David Teems (You can find it on Spotify). Towards the end of the song, he said that a gently voice says to him that he could find his way back home and that he is worthy of the love from the one upon the throne. I personally do know think of myself worthy of God's love. I think the only person worthy of God's love is Christ alone. And when God sees us (when we become born again), He sees Christ in us and that is perhaps the only reason why we are made worthy of God's love. Another questions perhaps is, "Am I worthy of my parents love?"

Also I wrote a piece about true humility based on what the Bible says. Please feel free to read if you haven't already. God bless.

True Humility

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.