Rejecting compliments with "I'm not worthy" is an insult to god who gave us life as well as gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, that is the most simple explanation of why everyone rejects Jesus. But it's not that simple, and God looks at our hearts.

Yes, he rejected Jesus, that's what I said in my post. But it was obviously not an attempt of flattery, or Jesus would have reacted like He did with the Pharisees. He was probably just treating Jesus the way he was used to having to treat the other teachers of the time, the Pharisees, who wanted to, and probably demanded to, be called good. To elevate themselves. Because they were on the thrones in their lives, and in the lives of others, which is why they rejected Jesus.

They would have let him keep his riches. But Jesus is God, and he knew the thoughts of this man's heart. They were a stumbling block to him, as it is to many of us. We can live perfect lives according to the Law, and be called good in the eyes of men, but without putting Jesus above everything, giving Him all Glory, accepting that only God is good, then it's worth nothing. We cannot serve two masters.
He was probably just treating Jesus the way he was used to having to treat the other teachers of the time, the Pharisees, who wanted to, and probably demanded to, be called good.

Exactly.

That's what flattery is.

On a more subtle note, he was attempting to "win brownie points". The bottom line is that hey, it worked with the other "teachers". They responded to the "flattery". So Jesus surely would.

Right?

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If we were in the disciple’s shoes: I believe the correct answer to Christ’s answer here would be:

“Because you are God, master.”
I would have said that, because it seems like an obvious answer. In fact, I think I HAVE said that to God while reading this chapter.

But Jesus had a point, or He would have said something else. And I personally believe He wanted to set an example for all of us, on how to act when someone calls us good. And He knew that there was nothing good in His human flesh, only in His divine nature.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Exactly.

That's what flattery is.

On a more subtle note, he was attempting to "win brownie points". The bottom line is that hey, it worked with the other "teachers". They responded to the "flattery". So Jesus surely would.

Right?
I agree with your point, but I also would add that there is a difference between obvious flattery to get something, and the way that we humans are taught by the world to show respect and give power to those with worldly accomplishments or riches. Do you understand what I mean? It's a matter of the heart and intention. But both can and does cause pride, because we elevate people by it. And I think that's what this passage is all about.

I just don't believe that this man had evil intentions to flatter Jesus and to snare Him like the Pharisees were trying to. He was just caught up in the world.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with your point, but I also would add that there is a difference between obvious flattery to get something, and the way that we humans are taught by the world to show respect and give power to those with worldly accomplishments or riches. Do you understand what I mean? It's a matter of the heart and intention. But both can and does cause pride, because we elevate people by it. And I think that's what this passage is all about.

I just don't believe that this man had evil intentions to flatter Jesus and to snare Him like the Pharisees were trying to. He was just caught up in the world.

His intentions were insincere, no matter how subtle that insincerity was.

It IS a matter of the heart. And the bottom line of this man's heart is that he rejected Jesus.

He was just as condemned as Pilate or the unrepentant thief on the cross.

By the way, pride is at the very root of "flattery". It's "pride" that is, bottom line, the evil here. Not flattery. Flattery is a "side effect", so to speak, of pride.

Pride is the very thing that was and is Satan's "Achilles Heel". Same for Adam and Eve.

It is pride that is the root of all evil.

Always has been.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
His intentions were insincere, no matter how subtle that insincerity was.

It IS a matter of the heart. And the bottom line of this man's heart is that he rejected Jesus.

He was just as condemned as Pilate or the unrepentant thief on the cross.
Unless he later repented.

Have you never been convicted of holding on to sin or worldliness in your life, especially early in your walk, and then later repented of it and been set free? I know I have, many times. And Jesus just looks at us and loves us, then tells us what we need to overcome.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Have you never been convicted of holding on to sin or worldliness in your life, especially early in your walk, and then later repented of it and been set free? I know I have, many times. And Jesus just looks at us and loves us, then tells us what we need to overcome.

There's no mention that he did.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There's no mention that he did.
The Bible would be a very long book if it mentioned all of those who repented. It doesn't even mention all of Jesus' miracles.

John 21:25
"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

That doesn't mean that they didn't happen.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible would be a very long book if it mentioned all of those who repented. It doesn't even mention all of Jesus' miracles.

John 21:25
"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

That doesn't mean that they didn't happen.

There's no reason to "assume" that this man repented.

The fact is, he wandered off into obscurity.

There's no mention of him ever again.

How tragic.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There's no reason to "assume" that this man repented.

The fact is, he wandered off into obscurity.

There's no mention of him ever again.

How tragic.
True, but do you think that God chose this passage to show His unfailing condemnation or His unfailing love?

It doesn't matter if he was later saved or not, all that matters is that Jesus wanted Him to be saved, and gave him the opportunity to do so. Why put your focus on the man, when you can put your focus on Jesus?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
True, but do you think that God chose this passage to show His unfailing condemnation or His unfailing love?

It doesn't matter if he was later saved or not, all that matters is that Jesus wanted Him to be saved, and gave him the opportunity to do so. Why put your focus on the man, when you can put your focus on Jesus?

i believe you brought him up.

The bottom line is that it was tragic.

He, like so many others who saw Jesus the Christ, face to face, and yet still rejected Him, are amongst those not remembered.

They have faded away into obscurity.

How tragic.

Just as a side note: The bottom line, is that he "admired" Jesus. But he didn't want Jesus to "rule" him. It was his "will". He was unwilling to bow his "will" to Jesus. THIS is the stumbling block for many. Yes, they "admire" Jesus from a "distance". But when it comes to Jesus as Lord and Master? Uh-uh. That's just going toooo far. This is not what they bargained for.

Admiring Jesus from a distance will not save them.

Tragic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1) God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

2) That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

3) He also gave us various gifts, talents and abilities.

Therefore, when Christians decry any compliment with the statement, "I'm not worthy," is that not a slap in the face of God?

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you" to them or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

There is something arrogant in refusing to accept a compliment, something self-righteous....and it seems like a slam to the person doing the complimenting!

I feel slapped, hearing this response, like I've been corrected and put in my place.

How awkward and shame based is this kind of thinking.

I'm struggling to figure out if I am accurate in this assessment or not, as I just cannot fathom teaching a child to not accept any compliment at all.

Do we not encourage each other or not encourage each other in life?

None of this matters. If you are saved then you can take any compliment you want.

If you are unsaved then you are basically garbage and should reject all compliments as lies.

It's a grand game and there is no inherent value to life. Just those accepted by Christ and those who are not. That's pretty much the whole thing in a nutshell...

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It absolutely matters if he was saved or not. What Jesus 'wanted' will mean nothing if he spends an eternity in the burning pit.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
i believe you brought him up.

The bottom line is that it was tragic.

He, like so many others who saw Jesus the Christ, face to face, and yet still rejected Him, are amongst those not remembered.

They have faded away into obscurity.

How tragic.
I brought up the words of Jesus, not the man. Of course it's tragic, but that's what happens when we put man and the things of this world above God! Let's keep our eyes on Christ! Hebrews 12:2

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It absolutely matters if he was saved or not. What Jesus 'wanted' will mean nothing if he spends an eternity in the burning pit.
It's about the grace that the Lord extends to all of us. It's our choice whether to accept Him or reject Him.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's about the grace that the Lord extends to all of us. It's our choice whether to accept Him or reject Him.

It's a yes/no pass/fail test. Nobody would truly reject the source of all possible happiness if they thought it through and some people are just too confused to ever figure it out. So this brings up the question of whether or not some creations are better than others. Some people are more inherently wise and well designed than others.

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I brought up the words of Jesus, not the man. Of course it's tragic, but that's what happens when we put man and the things of this world above God! Let's keep our eyes on Christ! Hebrews 12:2

I didn't bring up the rich man who ultimately rejected Jesus.

You did.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

And he rejected that grace, even though he "admired" Jesus, and from a distance.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And he rejected that grace, even though he "admired" Jesus, and from a distance.

Like I said before: it's a simple pass/fail test

God doesn't love people, he loves righteousness. What happens to each of us is largely irrelevant and we are nothing unless we pass the test. If we pass then we get a new identity. That is the only way to no longer be garbage.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Like I said before: it's a simple pass/fail test

God doesn't love people, he loves righteousness. What happens to each of us is largely irrelevant and we are nothing unless we pass the test. If we pass then we get a new identity. That is the only way to no longer be garbage.

i agree with most of what you posted.

God also loves mercy and grace.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't bring up the rich man who ultimately rejected Jesus.

You did.
You can go back and look at the posts. But why does it matter? I'm not here to quarrel.

True. Because he loved his life more than he loved God. A lot of people in the church today do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.