Rejecting compliments with "I'm not worthy" is an insult to god who gave us life as well as gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hes contradicting himself, not me.

I think it is best we agree to disagree. I am not going to agree with your odd statements that run contrary to what I know the Bible says.

May God bless you.
We should probably move on.

May the love and peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be unto you this fine evening.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli and W2L
Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1) God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

2) That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

3) He also gave us various gifts, talents and abilities.

Therefore, when Christians decry any compliment with the statement, "I'm not worthy," is that not a slap in the face of God?

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you" to them or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

There is something arrogant in refusing to accept a compliment, something self-righteous....and it seems like a slam to the person doing the complimenting!

I feel slapped, hearing this response, like I've been corrected and put in my place.

How awkward and shame based is this kind of thinking.

I'm struggling to figure out if I am accurate in this assessment or not, as I just cannot fathom teaching a child to not accept any compliment at all.

Do we not encourage each other or not encourage each other in life?

Well, God knows our hearts as well as our worth. He knows we are sinners who deserve nothing good but He also loves us and has provided forgiveness at the Cross and even eternal life to believers.

Rejecting compliments is rude to the complimenter who is just trying to be nice. We should just say "Thank you. It is so nice of you to say so." But on the inside, we should not take it too seriously because we might get "a big head" and think more highly of ourselves than we ought (which Paul advised us not to do).

Upvote 0

wogspeaker

May 15, 2015
✟7,866.00
Faith
Christian
1) God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

2) That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

3) He also gave us various gifts, talents and abilities.

Therefore, when Christians decry any compliment with the statement, "I'm not worthy," is that not a slap in the face of God?

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you" to them or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

There is something arrogant in refusing to accept a compliment, something self-righteous....and it seems like a slam to the person doing the complimenting!

I feel slapped, hearing this response, like I've been corrected and put in my place.

How awkward and shame based is this kind of thinking.

I'm struggling to figure out if I am accurate in this assessment or not, as I just cannot fathom teaching a child to not accept any compliment at all.

Do we not encourage each other or not encourage each other in life?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Lion-Cat-Hat.jpg

This thread is closed. This particular forum is not a debate forum. It certainly is not the place to insult each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.