Rejecting compliments with "I'm not worthy" is an insult to god who gave us life as well as gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1) God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

2) That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

3) He also gave us various gifts, talents and abilities.

Therefore, when Christians decry any compliment with the statement, "I'm not worthy," is that not a slap in the face of God?

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you" to them or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

There is something arrogant in refusing to accept a compliment, something self-righteous....and it seems like a slam to the person doing the complimenting!

I feel slapped, hearing this response, like I've been corrected and put in my place.

How awkward and shame based is this kind of thinking.

I'm struggling to figure out if I am accurate in this assessment or not, as I just cannot fathom teaching a child to not accept any compliment at all.

Do we not encourage each other or not encourage each other in life?

Last edited:

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
to help clarify, let me repeat this part:

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you to them" or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

There is something arrogant in refusing to accept a compliment, something self-righteous....and it seems like a slam to the person doing the complimenting!

I feel slapped, hearing this response, like I've been corrected and put in my place.

I'm struggling to figure out if I am accurate in this assessment or not, as I just cannot fathom teaching a child to not accept any compliment at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you to them" or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

A baby is worthy because it has done neither good nor evil (Ecclesiastes 7:29), but over time it becomes corrupted by the corrupting influence of the world (1 Corinthians 15:33, James 1:14-15), and then when we as young and foolish (Proverbs 22:6, Hosea 4:6) have been enticed and lured into sin (James 1:14-15), then we are cut off from God (Isaiah 59:1-2), and unable to turn back to Him as our hearts become hardened (Zephaniah 1:12, Isaiah 63:17) through addiction to sin (John 3:20), or self-resentment (Proverbs 19:3).

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟325,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

Therefore, when Christians decry any compliment with the statement, "I'm not worthy," is that not a slap in the face of God?

No, it is not.

We are sinners. We battle sin every day and pray that we overcome our shortcomings and our mistakes. Only the most arrogant of people would even attempt to believe they are above sin and worthy of salvation. Those of us who understand the Gospel and realize why Jesus died for our sins, who understand how mankind is never infallible and who realize the true gift Jesus gave us on the cross ... also understand how unworthy we are.

Daily prayers, studying the Bible, and trying always to do the right thing in our lives for each other is also a part of salvation. However, the truth within is this ...

To declare oneself worthy is to slap Jesus across the face as he hung in pain, dying for all of on the cross.

I believe to say I am worthy is not just a slap across His dear Face, but that is the utmost of arrogance which I can not and will not tolerate within myself and certainly hope not to see in others.

When I am dying, I hope to be much more thankful for the times I spent on my knees worshipping the Lord in prayer rather than standing on my feet and not thinking of Him.

Just my thoughts of this.

All good things,
Emmy

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Oh, I'm sorry! I'm not saying we shouldn't thank people for compliments. I don't want to sound arrogant. I'm grateful God has shown me mercy that I didn't deserve.

Please forgive me. I had no intention of offending you and pray that God will continue to bless you. :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, it is not.

We are sinners. We battle sin every day and pray that we overcome our shortcomings and our mistakes. Only the most arrogant of people would even attempt to believe they are above sin and worthy of salvation. Those of us who understand the Gospel and realize why Jesus died for our sins, who understand how mankind is never infallible and who realize the true gift Jesus gave us on the cross ... also understand how unworthy we are.

Daily prayers, studying the Bible, and trying always to do the right thing in our lives for each other is also a part of salvation. However, the truth within is this ...

To declare oneself worthy is to slap Jesus across the face as he hung in pain, dying for all of on the cross.

I believe to say I am worthy is not just a slap across His dear Face, but that is the utmost of arrogance which I can not and will not tolerate within myself and certainly hope not to see in others.

When I am dying, I hope to be much more thankful for the times I spent on my knees worshipping the Lord in prayer rather than standing on my feet and not thinking of Him.

Just my thoughts of this.

All good things,
Emmy
this is addressing a question I did not ask

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
1) God created you and I, so that act alone means that he felt that we were worthy enough to be his creations.

2) That He chose to die for us as an atonement for our sins is also because He thought us to be so worthy of salvation and thereby eternal life.

3) He also gave us various gifts, talents and abilities.

When a christian is being very helpful and kind, do we not say "thank you" to them or tell them "well done", and then they graciously say, "thank you?"

God didn't create us because He thought of us as worthy. Nor did He save us because we were worthy. He saved us because we are unworthy.

No one can be worthy except for God. So Christ died for us to make us worthy in the eyes of the Father, because we receive His nature. But we are never worthy by ourselves, nor can we ever be. Only the Lamb is worthy.

The gifts, abilities and talents are there to serve Him, for His Glory. They are not there to please ourselves.

A true Christian knows this. We know that anything good in us comes from the Holy Spirit, and from the transformation He has produced in us. So I can't simply say "thank you" but I have to give the Glory to the One that deserves it. This is humility before God. Because we can do nothing on our own, no good deeds. It isn't a slap to the face, and the opposite of self-righteousness, because a self-righteous person accept glory to themself as if they somehow could be righteous without Christ.

This seems offensive to the flesh, because the flesh wants all glory to itself. And when we see other people giving glory to God, it offends the flesh, but God is pleased.

Just be happy that God gets the Glory, and rejoice in the work that the Holy Spirit is producing in the other person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will always tell ppl thank you for their service when doing ministry work as well as tell children or teens that they are doing well at something I'm teaching such as gymnastics.

I've coached many teens as well as young women in gymnastics who were
Christians.

When they stuck the landing what should I say to them? Nice job, nice work---and have them say, "I'm not worthy?" only christ in me allows me to stick the landing?

At what age do we start teaching our children to be shame based and that they can do nothing at all right?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I will always tell ppl thank you for their service when doing ministry work as well as tell children or teens that they are doing well at something I'm teaching such as gymnastics.

Christians.

When they stuck the landing what should I say to them? Nice job, nice work---and have them say, "I'm not worthy?" only christ in me allows me to stick the landing?

At what age do we start teaching our children to be shame based and that they can do nothing at all right?

You are just repeating yourself. I would love for you to adress the responses that you have received.

It's not shame based, it simply means that we accept truth. God's truth. There is no shame in it, because Jesus took our shame on the Cross. We aren't condemning ourselves or others, which you seem to be accusing us of doing. We simply devote our lives to the God.

There is a difference between worldly accomplishments and the good works that the Holy Spirit produces in us. There is nothing wrong with saying thank you, we should all do that, but we have to keep our eyes on Christ. There are pitfalls, and if we keep praising and complimenting someone based on their own effort, we feed pride and self-reliance in them. Why not thank God for all that He is doing?

Those young gymnasts should learn how to place their trust in Christ and not in themselves, or it could be a stumbling block in their future.

Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If god decides to bless you with the gift of teaching, and someone tells you that you did a great job teaching their child, and you say I'm not worthy...its like saying that you know that god made a mistake in gifting you...so you are superior to god bc you know better than him.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Christians.

I had missed your emphasis by the direction the thread had taken, so thanks for this clarification :)

One has to assess the motive (what is to be achieved by saying it), whether it is of a Christian spirit (Colossians 4:5-6, Ephesians 4:29) or some carnal (ego) passion (Exodus 20:7, 1 Corinthians 13:4).

Hope this is helpful! :) (2 Corinthians 10:5).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I cant think and reason normally and have cognitive issues.

I really do.

I tried, but maybe need to rest for now, as I think I'm not clear or making any sense.

I know what I wanted to say...but at times it comes out all messed up.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I edited the post and added 1 Corinthians 13:4 too, btw. "Love is not puffed up, it does not brag". It sounds like the ones irking you are doing exactly that - not seasoned with salt or spoken for the edification and building-up of the hearer.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If god decides to bless you with the gift of teaching, and someone tells you that you did a great job teaching their child, and you say I'm not worthy...its like saying that you know that god made a mistake in gifting you...so you are superior to god bc you know better than him.
Of course God didn't make a mistake, He never does. I think you are misunderstanding the word worthy. There is a worldly use for it, and a Biblical one. God doesn't give us anything because we are worthy (deserving because of anything we did), but because He can trust us with it (meaning we can handle it, and use it for the right purpose).

So when someone says he or she isn't worthy, it simply means "I don't deserve it". Meaning, this was a free gift from God, because of His mercy and grace. But that doesn't mean that you aren't capable of using it well, it just means that He still gets the Glory.

Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
^yes, servingzion, its like I'm being put in my place for giving someone a compliment. As if to say that I am ignorant or less educated than them, bc if I was, then I would know that they can do nothing without Christ in them., so I am being rebuked and its embarrassing, especially when you are simply saying thank you.

I do not need to be chastised, corrected or rebuked for saying thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.