Legend
Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟54,049.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, Tribe! There are three distinct and separate views of "Once Saved Always Saved"; but all of them assert, "If they aren't saved NOW then they were never TRULY saved in the FIRST place!" But Scripture really stands against that. Check out those spoken of in 2Pet1:1-4; and then another group in 2Pet2:20-22. BOTH groups are described with the SAME EXACT GREEK WORDS --- "apopheugo-escaped" (corruptions ch1, defilements ch2) through the "epignosis-saved-knowledge" of the "Kurios-Lord" and "Soter-Savior Jesus Christ". It's really not possible to contend that "the SECOND group was NEVER saved". They are word-for-word-the-same; and we cannot deny the ch1 group WAS saved. But the ch2 group "epistrepho-ek-TURNED-AWAY-FROM the holy commandment; far better to have never KNOWN (epiginosko --- truly KNOWN) the way of righteousness, than HAVING known to TURN AWAY from the holy commandment."
Do you mean that people can lose their salvation by returning to sin (effectively crucifying Christ again)
That's what Scripture says; in 1Jn3, "he who practices righteousness IS righteous (even as Jesus is righteous), he who practices sin is of the devil; by this the children of God and the children of the devil are exposed..."

In Heb10:26 it says "if we continue sinning willfully after having RECEIVED knowledge ('epignosis', SAVED knowledge) of the truth..." So that by WILLFULLY CONTINUING to sin they have thrown away Jesus' Sacrifice for themselves. Repentence means "180-degree-turn"; away from sin; but they CONTINUE IN SIN.

See James 1:14-16: "Each is tempted when he is carried away by his own lust; then when lust has concieved, it births sin, and sin brings death. DO NOT BE DECEIVED beloved brethren!" To whom is James speaking? (Beloved brethren!) Did he REALLY MEAN "brings spiritual death"? ("thanatos") Seems that he did, doesn't it? And if you read James 5:19-20, I don't see how you can understand that as anything BUT "warning against falling-from-salvation" (or, more to the point, admonishing US towards those who FALL from salvation).
And that if one returns to sin, but then repents of it, the Holy Spirit is still guiding you and you are still saved?
Have you ever read Eph4:30? Paul presents "grieving the Holy Spirit" as POSSIBLE; if you DO grieve Him, will He remain? He won't remain according to Heb10:29, will He?

(If someone speaks to you of SEALS in Eph4:20, remind them that it says "sealed unTO the day of redemption" and not "unTIL"; remind them that Eph1:13 shows the SEAL is founded on BELIEF; and belief can fall if one is deceived by sin into unbelief --- see 1Tim4:1)

What if one DOES "fall away, even to death"; can they return? According to Rom11:23, according to the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15, according to James5:19-20, YES!!! (Do you know there are SOME who contend that the PRODIGAL was still SAVED, WHILE he was drunk and prostituting and living in sin & decadence? Shall we show them 1Cor6:9-15, Gal5:19-21, Jesus' words in Matt7:15-20?)

I "ran" the entire book of Hebrews to who how much it rejects OSAS. You would be surprised how many people reject the ENTIRE LETTER, claiming "it doesn't apply to US!" It is equally fun to "run" the entire second letter of Peter (see 2Pet1:9-11, 2:20-22, 3:14 & 17 especially) to show how strongly Peter stood against OSAS. And the entirity of the New Testament (not just Hebrews and James and Peter) really asserts "OSNAS". Colossians 1:23 & 2:8, 2Jn1:7-9, passage after passage asserts "OSNAS"...

The reason this question carries such importance, is because of the ESSENCE of salvation --- it is FELLOWSHIP with Christ, with the Spirit, and with God through Christ. Thus we are first told to RECEIVE Christ, and then to WALK IN HIM. The gift of salvation is NONE of us, ENTIRELY of Him; yet it is received by us, and abided in by us. "KEEP YOURSELVES in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of Jesus Christ to eternal life." What could Jude have possibly meant (21) other than "OSNAS"? What? God is ABLE to keep us (Jd24), but we also keep ourselves abiding in Him --- it is a FELLOWSHIP, a walk between two; God, and man.

"As you have RECEIVED Christ, so walk IN Him!" Col2:6

Jesus said, in John15, "Abide in Me, and I (will abide) in you." Abiding in Him IS SALVATION; "the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." 1Jn4:16 "He who HAS the Son of God HAS THE LIFE; (he who has NOT the Son has not the life); I write this that ...you may KNOW you have eternal life". 1Jn5:11-13

"If anyone does NOT abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, dries up, is gathered and cast into the fire. IF you abide in Me and My words abide in you, ask what you will and it will be done..." Jn15:6 Is "abiding in salvation", EVER presented as "unavoidable, irresistible"?

:)

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Andrew said:
Well if you can lose your salvation, then it wld mean you can also be born-again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again....

well ok maybe 2 or 3 times 5 at most? yet the Bible never talks abt getting saved all over again!

I beg to disagree...read this;

Revelation 2

1. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2. I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3. And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Blessings from our God and Lord Jesus...

Upvote 0

4sightsounds

Not playing games...
Jan 22, 2003
Harrisburg PA USA
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
look said:
I beg to disagree...read this;

Revelation 2

1. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2. I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3. And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Blessings from our God and Lord Jesus...

What do these passages have to do with being saved after already being saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟54,049.00
Faith
Christian
What do these passages have to do with being saved after already being saved?
Because he's warning them to "GO BACK TO WHERE YOU WERE"; so the only answer, is they were ONCE SAVED, and He's admonishing them to go BACK...
The key is being Once Saved. If a person believes themselves to be saved and then walk away from the faith, were they truly saved?

Absolutely not.
Then what do you think James meant in 5:19-20: "Brethren, if any of YOU wander from the truth, and another leads him back, let him who turns a sinner from the error of his way KNOW that he has saved a soul from DEATH ('thanatos'), and covered a multitude of sins." He says "BRETHREN any of YOU" --- is he talking to SAVED, or UNSAVED? He says, "wanders from the truth" --- falls from salvation? What else can he mean?
Salvation is a gift of God and it is irrevocable.
Romans 6:3, 11:29. The Greek says "without repentance"; please see 2Tim2:11-14. GOD will never take BACK the gift of salvation; but does that mean WE cannot become faithless? 2Tim says, "if WE are faithless, He remains faithful, even if He denies us and we DON'T reign with Him."

You see, the whole thing gets back to the ESSENCE of salvation. If we are saved by grace through faith, and if GRACE is GOD'S part (Jesus on the Cross because of love), and FAITH is OUR part (in receiving Christ and the gift of grace), then where is the Scripture that says "faith is not a lifetime walk"? We are "crucified with Christ", "dead to sin"; but look at James 1:4-16; he says "if we are carried away by lust, then lust births sin, and sin brings death; DO NOT BE DECEIVED BELOVED BRETHREN." Who do you think he's saying "don't be deceived beloved brethren", TO?

"I am the vine, you are the branches; abide in Me, and I (will abide) in you; anyone who does NOT abide, is cast off ...and thrown into the fire." John15

"By your endurance you will save your souls". Luke 21:19

I see lots of "endure, abide, make certain, examine yourselves, keep yourselves in Christ, persevere, walk in the Spirit (life) and not in the flesh (death -- Rm8)"; lots of our part in our salvation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.