✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi and welcome to this, the 242nd edition of Reilly's Pub:hug:

There are several reasons for choosing this as a theme for the Pub:) Mainly it arose from 2 discussions recently held in ther Pub. In one of them, Haylea said that we should have information available about the history and origins of Reilly's, for those who are new to the place.

Then, as I arrived here today, I caught the tail end of a discussion about what we could talk about in here.

So this Pub is dedicated to that purpose. It will be a guide to Reilly's for those who have recently joined the family, and a reminder of our heritage for those that have been around since the cave days of the Pub:)

Haylea has brought us up to date on which number Pub we have reached:hug: and she has also undertaken to delve deep into the archives and bring us an updated Numbers list (more of that later). This will be a major job though so we need to bear with her on this:)

Another reason for the title is that the number 42 is (according the The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy) the answer to the ultimate question of Life, The Universe and Everything:) It is now 33 years since the 'Guide' first appeared as a radio series in the UK, and is also the number of years our Lord spent on earth. All of which goes to show you can prove anything with numbers:D

However, I digress:) The next post in this thread will be our Constitution. After a couple of posts dedicated to numbers lists, I'll try and post some Pub history, which will (hopefully) help you understand what makes Reilly's the unique and amazing place it is:)

Last edited:

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Reilly'sConstitution
We the People of Reilly's Pub, in Order to form a more perfect Union with our Christian brothers and sisters, establish banter, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for all night Spamathons, promote the general Welfare, and secure as many Blessings as possible for ourselves and our Pub, do ordain and establish this Constitution for Reilly's pub and assosiated threads.

Article. I.

Section 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in the membership of the pub, which shall consist of whoever happens to be around at the time.

Section. 2.

Clause 1: The Pub shall be composed of anyone who is either a regualr or who just happens to wander in on the off chance, and shall eventually be recorded in the list of overall posts (hereby kown as 'The Numbers')

Clause 2: No Person shall be listed in the numbers until they have attained at least ten posts

Clause 3: Representatives shall be welcomed from as many countries in the world as possible. There shall be no limit to numbers and the more the better. There shall be no taxes levied in the Pub, but patrons will be required to contribute towards the food at parties at a rate comensurate to their ability to Google.

Clause 4: When vacancies happen in the regular members ranks, they shall be greatly mourned and constant prayer offered for their speedy return. New patrons shall constantly be sought.

Clause 5: The Pub shall choose ZooMom as the senior member; and she shall have the sole Power of putting people in the closet.

Section. 3.

There shall be no section three as it would only repeat section two.

Section. 4.

Clause 1: The Pub shall be open for 24 hours each day and no less and on no fewer than 7 days in any one week.

Clause 2: Members and patrons (herein known as Pubbies) shall assemble in the pub whenever possible.

Section. 5.

Clause 1
tongue.gif
Pubbies shall make decisions based on the democratic principle that it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Clause 2: ZooMom may determine the Rules of the Pub, encloset its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of others, throw water balloons at them.

Clause 3: Each Pubbie should keep a Journal (herein known as Blog), and from time to time post in the same, and other Pubbies shall also record in these.

Clause 4: No Pubbie shall depart from the pub for purposes of vacation, without coming into the pub to have a farewell drink and preferably, a party

Last edited:
Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟339,460.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Andy for going to all the what nots of opening a new Reilly's. A history of this place wolud be most wlecome to me and I'm sure other new pubbies. :)

That Constitution in the business :thumbsup:

I never got into Hitchhikers but I do remember the thing bout 42 so the new title is vert apt...:cool:

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟339,460.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NAH - we don't have any Constitution there - it's very informal . The only Rule is no debating , and everyone is welcome to chat and drink and discuss BEER there

I think its the Irish in us all. we make rules only to break them...^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Did you dust and straighten ZooMom's old crucifix and remember to put a Bible--maybe one that includes a number of versions--in an honored place?
You ever been in that closet?

Believe me, you only forget to do that stuff once:D

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NAH - we don't have any Constitution there - it's very informal . The only Rule is no debating , and everyone is welcome to chat and drink and discuss BEER there

Well *we* have some Bailey's Irish Creme as well as beer. (We also have some other drinks and in the mornings we have cyber tea, or coffee if that's preferred, and a variety of things for a cyber breakfast!)

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Reilly's - How, why & What
smile.gif

Reilly's was established by ZooMom back in March 2002 in OBOB, but from the start a wide range of people from all denominations have found a home there (I'm not a Catholic and I have practically LIVED in the place for 6+ years)
winks.gif
The idea was to have a virtual 'watering hole' for folk to come and take their ease, meet with friends (and make new ones), have some fun, but also be supported, loved and encouraged by their fellow pubbies.

Sandy (ZM) will be able to enlighten us more on the origins of Reilly's as I joined a couple of yesrs after it started (in Reilly's IV).
Why Reilly's?
dunno.gif
To tell the truth, I'm not 100% sure, but the name kinda stuck and we have now gone through over 240 pubs. Nowadays we have a 1000 post limit on threads, but the first two went for 20,000 and 10,000 posts respectively. Once thought to be lost forever, these have recently been unearthed and, hopefully, we will soon be able to access the very roots of Reilly's.

We have a pond here in Reilly's, installed one night (way back in the mists of time) to answer a debate about whether butter would float (the sort of debate you can only have late at night in a pub
1rof1.gif
). Since then the pond has had a canoe added, complete with pillows, for those in need of a nap. More recently we have utilised the timber from the old treehouse to build a jetty at the pond for relaxing and fishing purposes
smile.gif
thumbsup.gif

Haylea's corner was introduced a couple of years ago (by Haylea) and is a comfortable corner with a huge soft bean bag, and well stocked with chocolate, magazines etc. Perfect for those times when you just wanna be on your own for a while. The auto clean button is located just behind the bar. Press it once and the place is instantly clean and tidy again (a one off I'm afraid, it can't be reproduced - sorry ladies).

Finally, the freezer room. Not literally a deep freeze (although we have one of those too - well stocked with snowballs for throwing at your friends), but a soundproof room, with soft walls, chocolate furniture, and various stress relieving objects. For those times when you need to scream and let off a bit of steam (we all have days like that).

Of course, we have everything you would expect in an establishment of this quality, such as a log fire surrounded by comfortable chairs and sofa's, the finest selection of drinks you could imagine. We also have the ultimate in coffee machines. The all singing, all dancing, bells and whistles model. Whatever your preference in coffee, this machine will make it. And all of this....is Free
cheer.gif

The only rule to the house is that we come together as brothers and sisters in Christ. Catholic, Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, Evenagelical, Salvationist, Pentecostals....EVERYONE.
bighug.gif
Any theological differences we might have get checked at the door.
amen.gif

Jesus said "This is my Commandment to you, that you should love one another as I have loved you"
amen.gif

That is the Reilly's rule also.
thumbsup.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 5, 2004
Brisbane
✟22,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Morning Chips:)

Just trying to put this place together for us all:)

Have a read later when you get chance:)
Looks good from what I've seen.. Must get a move on or I'll be late... I'm already struggling cuz I forgot tablets yesterday

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Yay Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I don't care what anyone says about the film version, I loved it. C'mon! Martin Freeman! Alan Rickman! Sam Rockwell! What's not to like?
Bleah...the movie was pants

We waited 25 years for that rubbish to appear.

Very disappointing

If you get the chance, watch the origional TV series on DVD, and listen to the origional BBC radio series.

Read the books of course but I take that as a given:)

One benefit though was that they brought in a new Marvin for the movie (very much inferior model IMHO) so we brought the origional one here to the Pub (but more of that later as well)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.