Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recently read an article by cross way that listed “false accusations” against reformed thology(Calvinists) and they had a passage form the synod of Dort that said Gods wrath is upon those who falsely accuse against the theology.I don’t identify as a Calvinist because the doctrine scares me,and this recent week I’ve had tremendous anxiety all because of an article I read by a Calvinist.I said in a previous post that “I hate reformed theology” but now I’m scared Gods wrath will be upon me for not being a Calvinist.

I have a few questions for any Calvinists out there:

1.)Since I have OCD,and struggle to feel love for God,have unwanted doubts,and fear I’m not one of his elect,does that mean I’m not one of his elect?
2.) Does following Arminian theology make me a heretic and an apostate?
3.)Do I have to be a Calvinist to be saved?
4.) are Martin Luthers teachings correct,because I know they lead the e reformation.
5.)This is a big one,I constantly doubt if I’m an elect and fear God doesn’t love me,Does God love me?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then don’t study it, brother. Just put that stuff away. Such theology can wreak havoc on one struggling with ocd, assurance issues, etc.

Just trust in Christ, and follow Him; keep it simple.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then don’t study it, brother. Just put that stuff away. Such theology can wreak havoc on one struggling with ocd, assurance issues, etc.

Just trust in Christ, and follow Him; keep it simple.
Ok I absolutely will!

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I recently read an article by cross way that listed “false accusations” against reformed thology(Calvinists) and they had a passage form the synod of Dort that said Gods wrath is upon those who falsely accuse against the theology.I don’t identify as a Calvinist because the doctrine scares me,and this recent week I’ve had tremendous anxiety all because of an article I read by a Calvinist.I said in a previous post that “I hate reformed theology” but now I’m scared Gods wrath will be upon me for not being a Calvinist.

1.)Since I have OCD,and struggle to feel love for God,have unwanted doubts,and fear I’m not one of his elect,does that mean I’m not one of his elect?
4.) are Martin Luthers teachings correct,because I know they lead the e reformation.
5.)This is a big one,I constantly doubt if I’m an elect and fear God doesn’t love me,Does God love me?
I'm a Calvinist; you need not fear anything the Calvinists say. Fear God.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

God loves you!! You don't have to follow Calvinism or any other denomination's beliefs to be saved.

John 3:16-18, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I've heard it said that if you weren't one of the elect you wouldn't have any interest in Christ at all. Christians who are born of God tend to feel increasingly unworthy in retrospect. The fact that you contemplate not being one of the elect shows you have a living concern for spiritual things and that is a good thing. Like a pulse of spiritual vigor.

• Friendly
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard it said that if you weren't one of the elect you wouldn't have any interest in Christ at all. Christians who are born of God tend to feel increasingly unworthy in retrospect. The fact that you contemplate not being one of the elect shows you have a living concern for spiritual things and that is a good thing. Like a pulse of spiritual vigor.
There is another thing that worries me,I feel like my only motivator is a fear of hell,for example”I’m only praying tj ask for love of God because I fear hell” or “I keep trying to fix and change anything ungodly because I fear hell” I don’t want to fear hell or follow God for the wrong intentions or motives.I’m scared that I’m only believing because of a fear of hell,whenever I try to reassure myself it’s still a warping cycle of “because fear of hell”.Should a person fear hell to be saved?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No, theology doesn't save you (it might help you or confuse you). Christ does! Put your heart and life in Jesus hands. Trust that Jesus has taken your sins on himself on the cross and be at peace. God bless!

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is another thing that worries me,I feel like my only motivator is a fear of hell,for example”I’m only praying tj ask for love of God because I fear hell” or “I keep trying to fix and change anything ungodly because I fear hell” I don’t want to fear hell or follow God for the wrong intentions or motives.I’m scared that I’m only believing because of a fear of hell,whenever I try to reassure myself it’s still a warping cycle of “because fear of hell”.Should a person fear hell to be saved?

I can sympathize with this because the night I first came to Christ I was filled with holy terror that I had lost Him forever and damned myself due to the way I'd been living. But those who are truly reprobate do not fear God at all. Not presently and not in the future. So to fear God at all is better than to not even regard Him in the slightest. It's a pulse of life.

It's not the best motivation, but it's a start. Continue in the faith and your unhealthy fear can transform into a healthy fear of God. Those who fear are not yet made perfect in love. But that doesn't mean there will be no process to move you into the right heart motivation in time.

I still sometimes feel fear that I've been sinning and made God mad at me. But I always go back to the gospel. Christ came into the world to save sinners. And if we acknowledge that He is God and He is good then we build our faith upon Him and have peace.

Best of luck

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The definition of "arbitrary selection" is to choose between two equal things based on nothing about those things - just on a whim, without any reason for selecting one above another. The Bible does not support such notions.

In the Bible "God so Loved the WORLD... yes really" John 3:26 - and NOT "just the FEW of Matt 7 on the Narrow road and entering through the narrow gate".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

You need to explore this site, a free grace oasis.
Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

I'm going to try for a moderate Calvinist answer, though I'm personally a liberal Calvinist.
1) No. The fact that you have problems indicates that you're human. Justification is by faith, not perfection.
2) The authors of Dordt might say being an Arminian is heresy, but probably not apostacy. I personally prefer to use heresy for rejecting a doctrine that is widely held, and not one tradition's beliefs, but there are certainly Calvinists that would consider Arminianism heresy. Apostacy? That would be unusual.
3) No.
4) Luther was a complicated guy. I'd hate to endorse everything he said. E.g. Calvinists would disagree with him on communion. But generally Luther was close to Calvin on many issues.
5) It's God's intention that all of his people will have confidence in him. But justification is by faith in Christ and what he did, not by confidence in our own spiritual condition. Generally people who are having your trouble should be encouraged to look to Christ and what he has done for them, and not their own spiritual condition.

Many groups within Calvinism have tried to come up with tests to let them be confident that they are elect. I think that's a spiritual trap, because it leads people to focus on themselves. No serious Christian will ever think they deserve salvation, but those tests try to find a reason to do so. Our confidence needs to be in Christ and what he has done.

In fact Luther was attracted to election precisely because he couldn't find any way to have confidence in anything about himself. But he could trust Christ. Election is intended to mean that it's all Christ,and not us.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can sympathize with this because the night I first came to Christ I was filled with holy terror that I had lost Him forever and damned myself due to the way I'd been living. But those who are truly reprobate do not fear God at all. Not presently and not in the future. So to fear God at all is better than to not even regard Him in the slightest. It's a pulse of life.

It's not the best motivation, but it's a start. Continue in the faith and your unhealthy fear can transform into a healthy fear of God. Those who fear are not yet made perfect in love. But that doesn't mean there will be no process to move you into the right heart motivation in time.

I still sometimes feel fear that I've been sinning and made God mad at me. But I always go back to the gospel. Christ came into the world to save sinners. And if we acknowledge that He is God and He is good then we build our faith upon Him and have peace.

Best of luck
Thank you,it’s hard for me to remember how I came to Jesus,and it’s hard for me to decipher what’s holding me to him.One of the things I have recognized is that apart from Jesus I have no hope,no meaning,no purpose,and nobody who fully understands me.Also I’ve recognized that Jesus brings eternal pleasure and earthly pleasures only bring temporary pleasure.I must also add I recently(Monday) went a day without my medication,and whenever that happens,I get into the anxiety attacks.I must ask,even though I fear hell,Does God want to save me and does he love me still?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does God want to save me and does he love me still

Yes. Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this While we were still sinners Christ died for us. Feelings are not to be trusted over God's word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I’ve had tremendous anxiety all because of an article I read by a Calvinist.
Hello Blaise, in this case (unlike the members of the Synod of Dort) the author of most of the Crossway article (Pastor Kevin DeYoung) is still alive. Why not email him, explain to him that something he said upset you and why (be sure to mention your OCD, of course), and then ask him to explain what he meant, specifically (and ask him if there is any reason .. at all .. for you to be concerned).

Here is his contact information at the church where he is senior pastor (interestingly, he is also a professor of systematic theology at Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, NC).

Even better, you could read the book of Pastor DeYoung's that Crossway pulled excerpts from to compose their article before you contact him (it typically helps to see the context whenever statements don't seem to make sense/don't seem quite "right" to us, especially when they come from a source/person who is typically known for believing and teaching things that fall well within the realm of orthodox Christian thought). Then, if you still have questions, you can email them directly to the author :oldthumbsup: Here's the book:

Grace Defined and Defended: What a 400-Year-Old Confession Teaches Us about Sin, Salvation, and the Sovereignty of God | Crossway

One of the reasons that the Synod of Dort was convened (if memory serves) was to address a number of false accusations (lies that were being promulgated) against the teachings, doctrines and confessions, of the Reformed churches in the Netherlands more than 400 years ago. It also sought to accurately define the 5 points of the Reformed soteriology known as the "Doctrines of Grace" or "TULIP" (as it specifically addressed articles from the Arminian Remonstrance as well).

So (to sum up), the warning that is upsetting you was (specifically) directed at those in the Netherlands who were lying/making false accusations about what was being taught by the Reformed churches of the day, NOT against people who did not/do not hold to Reformed soteriology (in general). BTW, I believe that the warning about the "judgment of God" concerns the sin of bearing false witness (in this case), not the loss of one's salvation (which seems obvious enough since Reformed theology teaches against the possibility of someone losing their salvation in the 5th point of TULIP/the Perseverance of the Saints).
1.)Since I have OCD, and struggle to feel love for God, have unwanted doubts, and fear I’m not one of his elect, does that mean I’m not one of his elect?
4.) are Martin Luther's teachings correct, because I know they lead the e reformation.
5.)This is a big one, I constantly doubt if I’m an elect and fear God doesn’t love me, Does God love me?
I was hardly a Calvinist when I came to saving faith. Rather, I was an outspoken Arminian during my first 10+ years as a believer. So "no", you do not need to be a Calvinist to be saved.

Secondly, we cannot know if someone is "elect" before they come to true, saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. IOW, when we are sure that someone is "born again and saved", we also know that they are part of God's "elect" (and not before).

Finally, your "big" question above is hardly a question for Calvinists alone. The question should never be "am I elect", rather, the important question, the one that we are commanded to make sure that we know the answer to is, "am I saved" (and by inference, "how do I know that I am saved") .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 13:5 :preach:

If you'd like to talk about how to do that (about how you can have assurance of your salvation), just let me/us know and we will do so.

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here are a couple of things that the Lord Jesus said concerning salvation/eternal life. You need to consciously decide to believe/trust the truth that He tells you while, at the same time, REFUSING to believe the lies and half-truths that your feelings, your OCD, and/or Satan are telling you instead!! IOW, always choose to trust God/choose to take Him at His word, no matter what :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

John 3
16 “God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The definition of "arbitrary selection" is to choose between two equal things based on nothing about those things - just on a whim, without any reason for selecting one above another. The Bible does not support such notions.

In the Bible "God so Loved the WORLD... yes really" John 3:26 - and NOT "just the FEW of Matt 7 on the Narrow road and entering through the narrow gate".
"arbitrary selection." I like that Bob. Calvin lied.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Calvinists don't agree it's arbitrary, saying God has a reason for His choice, but we don't know what that reason is, more than it is out of love.

I don't think I have to mention that I don't agree with this Reformed idea.

Upvote 0