Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A new, updated edition of the Reformation Study Bible is going to be coming out in the next month or so, and you can preorder now with no shipping costs... As someone newer to the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition this study Bible has been an invaluable resource for inspiration and learning.... I'm excited to see all the new and additional materials (including many of the reformed Confessions) in this new edition!

Check it out: The Reformation Study Bible edited by R.C. Sproul

Zac from Tennessee

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a strong love for the ESV and NRSV myself...but I do use the KJV in my studies with the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible (another great one!). It is my understanding, though, that the NKJV will be available sometime in the fall. I have the previous edition in the "leather-like" binding, and it's very nice (if I didn't know it was "leather-like" from ordering it a year or so ago I would think it was genuine leather). The new edition has a lot more stuff (more maps, more commentary and the inclusion of the main confessions of the Reformed faith) and the text is laid out differently as well... the scripture texts go across the entire page vs. the 'traditional' two columns per page that the previous/current edition has. So some of the "updates" as just aesthetic, but either way this is by far and away one of the BEST Study Bibles out there for Presbyterian/Reformed Christians.

Upvote 0

Epistemes

Feb 11, 2008
North Carolina
✟7,774.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As someone newer to the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition this study Bible has been an invaluable resource for inspiration and learning

I'm very new to the Formed/Presbyterian tradition and don't have the time or much inclination to read Calvin, Barth, Moltmann, et. al.. Is it possible for you to give a little more detail on how this study bible has helped your identification with and understanding of Reformed tradition? What particular qualities of the study bible aided with your increased learning?

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Reformation Study Bible was published by Ligonier Ministries and edited by R.C. Sproul... Neither are affiliated with either the PCA or PC(USA). Dr. Sproul is one of the co-pastor's of St. Andrew's Chapel in Sanford, FL (which is an "independent Reformed congregation"). I believe he was originally ordained in the PCA (but don't quote me).

So to answer your question no specific Presbyterian or Reformed denomination edited or contributed to this Study Bible (I'm not aware of ANY Bible that is edited by a denomination).

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm very new to the Formed/Presbyterian tradition and don't have the time or much inclination to read Calvin, Barth, Moltmann, et. al.. Is it possible for you to give a little more detail on how this study bible has helped your identification with and understanding of Reformed tradition? What particular qualities of the study bible aided with your increased learning?

Well there's no way to learn about Reformed theology more than reading Calvin and Knox in my opinion. I'm chipping away at Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion and you can also access Calvin's Bible Commentaries online for free for use in your daily Bible reading/devotions as well. The Reformation Study Bible is particularly helpful when it comes to notes on certain passages that explain Covenant theology and how it can be seen throughout the Old Testament and into the New. It has different "topics" spread throughout on things like "Justification," "Election," etc. and gives an in depth Biblical explanation with scriptural citations. My main growth in the Reformed faith is from going straight to the Westminster standards and the Three Forms of Unity, though, along with reading Calvin. But when it comes to Bible study - even if a Christian Ed class at church - having notes from a renowned Reformed theologian have been immensely helpful for me.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For one the view is covenantal, a distinctive of Reformed thought, so you will not be finding dispensational views such as found in McArthur's Study Bible.

You will also find a strong emphasis upon the sovereignty of God and the doctrines of grace, which fortunately McArthur's study bible maintains.

There are also numerous articles in the RSB particular to Reformed doctrines of church practices, doctrines, etc. For an example, consider the following:

Third Millennium Study Bible

Most of the notes shown at the link above were included in somewhat a modified form (usually just shortened) in the original Ligonier Reformation Study Bible after Pratt and Ligonier decided to go in different directions (not doctrinally, but in marketing). There is no reason to suspect that updated articles would deviate from the underlying doctrinal positions of these original notes. Reviewing the complete Ephesians and Ruth books sent to those who signed up for the new RSB mailing list proves this out to me.

While it does not always work, I find reviewing a study bible's treatment of Romans 8 - 9 a good litmus test of the doctrinal tenor of the editors and contributors to a study bible. Check out the notes for these chapters at the link above and see if they "resonate" with your own views.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know if this Bible was exclusively edited and contributed to by the PCA or was there involvement by the PCUSA?

As others have noted, there's no formal denominational involvement. However the notes come from a moderate conservative perspective. The PCUSA has a spectrum of members. Those in tune with PCUSA national leadership will find the exegetical principles of Reformation Study Bible significantly more conservative, but may still find it worthwhile.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 16, 2015
Eastern Pennsylvania
✟15,132.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know if this Bible was exclusively edited and contributed to by the PCA or was there involvement by the PCUSA?

It is my understanding that since the PCUSA is apostate and since most, if not all, conservative biblical scholars have left the PCUSA, there was no participation by PCUSA personnel in the revision. This was the word that I had received at last year's National Conference.

Upvote 0

wondrousgnat

Feb 27, 2013
Winfield Township
✟8,859.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is my understanding that since the PCUSA is apostate and since most, if not all, conservative biblical scholars have left the PCUSA, there was no participation by PCUSA personnel in the revision. This was the word that I had received at last year's National Conference.

I was once a member of the PCUSA. I realized that it was not the church for me so I left. But "apostate?" Maybe I am too far out of touch so where does that come from?

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To say the PCUSA is an apostate church when there are folks who hold apostate views in ALL denominations and churches seems a bit extreme to me. There are plenty of us in the PCUSA who hold to traditional reformed views and subscribe to the Westminster standards as our primary Confessional authority despite the ever-growing Book of Confessions. R.C. Sproul's church in Sanford, FL is an "independent Reformed congregation" and isn't part of ANY Presbyterian or Reformed denomination --- and it was primarily folks from his church and/or ministries that served on this board.... so by those standards I suppose they think the PCA, EPC, etc. are "apostate" as well since they don't affiliate with them? That seems like an unnecessary, stone-throwing, legalistic and judgmental attitude reminiscent of the Pharisees that persecuted Jesus because he wouldn't join their groups or sects. We should be focused on proclaiming the Gospel and on UNITY --- not on further division and hurling insults and names.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 16, 2015
Eastern Pennsylvania
✟15,132.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
while you adorn your profile with the PC(USA) Cross.

Shooting the messenger? Christian Forums has chosen to put the Cross on my profile; it's not my choice. I just listed my denomination as "Presbyterian." I belong to the PCA. Edit: I have since changed my affiliation from "Presbyterian" to "Calvinist."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2015
Eastern Pennsylvania
✟15,132.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
There are plenty of us in the PCUSA who hold to traditional reformed views and subscribe to the Westminster standards as our primary Confessional authority... so by those standards I suppose they think the PCA, EPC, etc. are "apostate" as well since they don't affiliate with them?

I know many godly men that are still holding on with the PCUSA. They are hoping that the leadership will come to their senses and return to the Bible as the one and only authority in the church. The denomination is apostate, but many members are still faithful.

I don't believe that St. Andrew's church believes that the PCA and EPC are apostate. For several reasons, and not to do with apostasy, R.C. and Buck Parsons decided to go with an independent chapel. There are three pastors at the church and all are ordained in the PCA.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know many godly men that are still holding on with the PCUSA. They are hoping that the leadership will come to their senses and return to the Bible as the one and only authority in the church. The denomination is apostate, but many members are still faithful.

I don't believe that St. Andrew's church believes that the PCA and EPC are apostate. For several reasons, and not to do with apostasy, R.C. and Buck Parsons decided to go with an independent chapel. There are three pastors at the church and all are ordained in the PCA.

I live in a very conservative town with a large percentage of active-duty and retired Navy. As a result, the local PCUSA churches are very conservative but when I left the UMC last year I didn't want to risk joining a church with a conservative local congregation that is under the control of a Leftist national organization. I know quite a few PCUSA members and they seem to come in two flavors: the ones who don't pay attention to "national church politics" and the ones who believe that the secular-Progressive cancer won't make it down to their church. But, they stick with their local church and that's admirable.

My faith icon looks PCUSA, but means PCA.

Upvote 0

ztalbott

Presbyterian | PC(USA)
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had never heard (being a relatively new Presbyterian in the past couple years) of the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible until I came across it today on another site... It looks like it was pretty great, though it's out of print and copies are going for EXORBITANT amounts on Ebay and Amazon now.

Has anyone had any experience with or have any knowledge of the ESV Study Bible? I'm also suprised that I don't see more talk about the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible on Reformed/Presbyterian forums and groups. I have a hardcover version of Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible and it's pretty awesome --- contains the Westminster standards as well as the Three Forms of Unity and the Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian Creeds as well. That is also something I'm happy the new Reformation Study Bible is going to include next month... no Reformed Study Bible is completely (IMHO) without the basic Confessional Standards.

Upvote 0