Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rom 2:4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?
Rom 2:5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
Rom 2:6 who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS:

Okay first in 2:4 it says that God leads us to repentence. And that it was leading this group of people towards repentence right? I do not see how there is any problem there.

But then in 2:5-6 Now at least some of these people that God was leading towards repentence our still stubborn and unrepentive but how could that ever be if God's grace is irresistable?

Also they are going ot inherit the wrath of God. How can this be becasue a saved person does not get the wrath of God at all. We get His grace.

So I guess I am aking how do you reconcile this passage in Romans with Irresistable grace and the idea that God completely regenerates a person's heart before salvation?

blackhawk

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Blackhawk
So I guess I am aking how do you reconcile this passage in Romans with Irresistable grace and the idea that God completely regenerates a person's heart before salvation?

blackhawk

The exhortation is an admonishment targeted specifically at the Jews, but not limited to them. To effect this Paul has turned to an imaginary representative of a real and identifiable group of people. Paul is addressing them because they agree with His statement about God's wrath, but assume they stand outside of it (hence his stern warning in v.5). In this context Paul sets forth the principles of the divine judgment all must face. It is based on truth (v.2) and marked by righteousness (v.5). It is according to works (v.6), impartial in nature (v.11), and executed through Christ (v.16). Such judgment will bring agonizing ruin to all sinners (vv. 8,9). What Paul has done here is effectively unmasked those who will agree with his exposition of divine wrath on sin (1:18-32) but assume they are immune to it, "whoever you are who judge..." (v.1).

Paul is telling us that we must acknowledge that the kindness of God is intended to produce sorrow for sin and a turning away from it. Those to whom this is addressed despise this purpose of divine generosity, and thereby show disdain for God Himself.

Paul is not here denying what he elsewhere emphasizes: that salvation is a gift, not a reward (5:15,17; 6:23). Divine judgment is based on every aspect of a person's relationship to God. Only those who receive grace do in fact seek "glory, honor and immortality" (v.7). Others are "self-seeking" (v.8), not God-honoring. Paul teaches that while salvation is by grace, judgment is according to works (2 Cor. 5:10). Apart from grace there is only one verdict possible "to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (v.10).

Remember, the process of regeneration unto the adoption into God's family is different than the sanctification of our hearts. Every Christian alive has experienced the feeling of conviction when we make religious presumption and consider ourselves "outside it all." If you notice, in vv. 17-29 Paul turns directly to the Jewish claim to special privilege, dealing in more detail with the possession of the law (vv.17-24) and circumcision (vv.25-29). In connection with the law, he presses home the claim of v.1 that the Jews were guilty of the sins for which they condemned others.

Sorry to be so wordy. Hope that answered your question.

God bless.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reformationist,

Amen!!

Because salvation is a gift, this warning is given. v.5
Because you can be saved and then live as "self" (not "die") thus taking the kindness God has shown to us, lightly.

I am one that leans in the direction that the deeds mentioned here are quenching the HS, refusing to die, living for self. The reason I lean this way is because when we do "die" we live by faith and not by sight, thus our works are God's works. Paul was speaking about the heart and not our hands.

Blessings

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.