• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Referee forces HS wrestler to cut off dreadlocks before match

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Dec 21, 2018.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+9,899
    Christian
    Referee forces HS wrestler to cut off dreadlocks before match
    And before people ignore the article and defend the indefensible, there are legal hair coverings for wrestling that are allowed in the sport. This wrestler had his legal hair covering and the referee would not let him wrestle. The saddest part is the wrestler won the match, yet he looked defeated.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I think the referee was wrong and should be reprimanded.
    However, I don't see that this wrestler looked defeated, quite the contrary. If I were that boy's parent I would have yelled.....Hey, Ref, my boy isn't Sampson, you can't defeat him with a haircut.
    And not only that he won against the ref the minute he allowed his hair to be cut. That's a man! Good for him.

3. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+29,037
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    That was a humiliation tactic. I am glad the young man won his match. And his hair will grow again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,046
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    As much as I dislike dreadlocks, mostly due to the history of Aztec priests using the blood of their human sacrifices on theirs , no one ought to be able to tell another person what to do with their own body. As an aside, The NFL also ought to outlaw tackling people by their hair.

5. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+16,773
    Christian
    Married
    uhmmm....:sorry:
    tulc(quietly tucks his dreads up under his hat and drinks his coffee) :sunglasses:

6. Handmaid for Jesus

+29,037
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Do you have another hat I can borrow.o_O

7. Dynadin

Dynadin Member

+126
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I wrestled in high school in the late 80's, and most of us had obscene-length mullets. Our headgear covered some of it, but certainly not all and I can't recall a single time a ref cited a rule or concern about it.
    Obvious racism is obvious.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+16,773
    Christian
    Married
    Sure do! Mine look a lot like this:
    [​IMG]
    only everything not dreaded is shaved, they go down to my waist and they've mostly locked together into two long thick dreads. :)
    tulc(yep it's a dread-mullet) :sorry:

9. Handmaid for Jesus

+29,037
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Mine look like this.Mine are a little longer, to my hips.
    [​IMG]

10. SummerMadness

+9,899
    Christian
    A black teenage wrestler with dreads, a racist referee, and the importance of how the media needs to handle sensitive subjects

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,383
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes, but it takes a long time for black people to grow hair.

12. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+2,788
    Atheist
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,549
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    There was a reason Julius Caesar ordered his soldiers to shave and to keep very short hair. In a wrestling match, any hair long enough to be gotten ahold of is a liability.

Mine at 1 1/2 “ is probably too long.

14. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+2,129
    Christian
    Married
    I was shocked by that story. How terrible! Young adults at this age especially - everyone to some extent, but when your young especially important - take things like their dreadlocks as part of establishing whom they are as a person. It's part of their human growth into adulthood. It means so much more than that too, but I was generally speaking.

I have no idea how these leagues work, but he should be permanently removed. If any other action can be taken? It should seriously be looked at. This referee had no right to go there.

15. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,549
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    And in my day shoulder length hair was common as we were differentiating ourselves from our short haired clean shaved parents. (Circa 1970) But when I went out for the wrestling team, my shoulder length hair got cut very short and my long muttonchop sideburns came off as well as they were all fair game on the mat.

16. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+1,229
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  17. SummerMadness

+9,899
    Christian
    Ref at center of dreadlocks scandal slammed with major penalties

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Handmaid for Jesus

+29,037
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
  19. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+6,291
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Yep, I agree this sounds more like a humiliation tactic that came from a likely racist, power-hungry coach. This definitely shouldn't' have happened.

20. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+16,398
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Why?