Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That was the exact argument they had at this gay church- that the word for ''homosexual'' in the Bible actually meant ''rape,'' and that the original greek/Hebrew text didn't actually have a word for homosexual and that Jesus was silent on homosexuality. I really gave this church, my friend, and gay people i met at this church the benefit of the doubt BIG TIME, even sticking up for them against Christian friends I had that said they were completely wrong because I WANTED them to be right, i actually liked the people there, lesbians and all, many of the were good people. But I believe the Lord has revealed to me that declaring to be homosexual is wrong and perverted just like any other sin.

You know people by their fruits. If they are good people, why be so wary of them?

Sometimes anxiety is just anxiety. Being faithful to Jesus will not mean you will never have trouble or anxiety, and sometimes its misleading to confuse anxiety with spiritual discernment.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
From age 18-22 I was very involved in the 12-step groups Alcohol Annonymous and Narcotics Annonymous... I had not yet found God and I was a drug user back then and was trying to get sober. Anyway, I made lots of friends in these meetings and eventually met my sponsor who happened to be homosexual, but that didn't bother me, he had like 5 years sober and was helping me get sober, work the 12 steps, encouraged me, and helped me get on my feet... he even let me live with him when I was homeless living on the streets. He had a really good heart and he really loved my family and my family really liked him because they knew he was a good person that was trying to help me... he even used to listen to gospel music in front of me and I would laugh at him for it, thinking he was so weird for listening to Christian music :doh:

So he was my sponsor for like 4 years and he was like my best friend. But when I was 23 I found God and he was happy about that because he was a Christian too, but I made it clear to him that I thought homosexuality was a sin... and that really, really bothered him because he didn't want to give up homosexuality and he knew I was serious. He even went to a church in a gay area where they all loved God and praised God, but they were FIRM that homosexuality was NOT a sin and that they were fine to be homosexual.... and I didn't agree with that, but I wasn't rude about it, I only mentioned it to a few people respectfully. I even went with him to this church a few times just to check it out, and it wasn't all homosexuals but the majority were.

So fast-forward to today, 5ish years later. I stopped hanging out with him shortly after I found God and started pursuing my new Christian path without him. I haven't seen him in like 3 years now and I just started a facebook account where I have only Christian friends... he is the only person I have friend requested that I have ''question'' about whether he is a Christian or not and as soon as he accepted my friend request, a VERY uneasy feeling came into my spirit... my peace and joy immediately left and was replaced with fear and anxiety. Now I regret friend requesting him and I don't want to hurt his feelings by un-friending him. I don't know what to do. He always had a ''guilty conscience'' for his homosexuality around me towards the end and that fear and discomfort from him seems to rub off on me, and now i feel like i just opened up a very bad ''connection.''

I looked up to him for 4 years and he helped me with so much... we had a really good friendship but he was so wrapped up in homosexuality that I would be very surprised if he has come out of that lifestyle. He was living with his ''boyfriend'' last time i saw him. I know he has struggled with so much in his life and I still care about him as a friend but I feel like right now, as my soul and heart are healing through Christ, i don't need to be talking to someone that endorses sin like that... i am no longer a drug-user, i am focused only on God to heal my heart and my soul now.

What would you guys do? I feel really bad, his facebook page says ''I am loved by the Father'' on his title but based on his pictures, it looks like he is going to gay pride festivals and stuff like that... I don't know why i lost my peace and joy like that, it is really disturbing me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would strongly encourage you to learn about spiritual warfare and
the christian's spiritual battle equipment...
Taking Up The Whole Armor of God > Free Bible Study Guides

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyway I just unfriended him. So you think for sure that it WAS the spirit warning me? I was trying to figure out if I was judging him or sinning somehow and I opened a door or if it was God warning me.

Yes, and here's why:
Yea, I definitely DON'T want to make him feel even worse. I feel I am not strong enough to be able to minister to him in love and truth yet

@tryintogrow put it very well, so rest assured you did the right thing.
You have to protect yourself in order to help anyone else. Witnessing should never, ever come at the cost of putting yourself in danger.

If he asks, you could just be truthful with him and tell him you still feel very strongly that homosexuality is a sin, and unfortunately do not feel strong enough to be able to help him. Tell him that you are still his friend, but that the Spirit warned you about it after you befriended him, so until you are stronger you will need to maintain a distance.

That way he knows it was not a personal rejection, but rather that you simply believe and have a witness that he is in spiritual danger, which is exactly the message you need to be telling him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
he is the only person I have friend requested that I have ''question'' about whether he is a Christian or not and as soon as he accepted my friend request, a VERY uneasy feeling came into my spirit
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:
I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1 Corinthians 5:9
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
Ephesians 5:

Jesus through the Holy Spirit enables disciples and his church to be clean, to be pure, to be
free from pollution (or leaven).
No matter how much liberal scripture denying "believers" claim that they can be homosexual and
Christian - in the end it is a lie.
I don't want to hurt his feelings by un-friending him.
If you love him enough to care for his fate, his destiny; then at some time soon you need to tell him
that he is being lied to about the hope of his salvation.
It will be an enormous sacrifice by him to give up his sexuality and lifestyle but the rewards of
eternal life are far way too valuable to squander for the sake of carnal living.
And your friend would not be the only person to deny themselves and to put to death the deeds
of the flesh (Romans 8). Many many other disciples have surrendered and bowed the knee to Jesus
for the sake of the gospel and salvation.

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From age 18-22 I was very involved in the 12-step groups Alcohol Annonymous and Narcotics Annonymous... I had not yet found God and I was a drug user back then and was trying to get sober. Anyway, I made lots of friends in these meetings and eventually met my sponsor who happened to be homosexual, but that didn't bother me, he had like 5 years sober and was helping me get sober, work the 12 steps, encouraged me, and helped me get on my feet... he even let me live with him when I was homeless living on the streets. He had a really good heart and he really loved my family and my family really liked him because they knew he was a good person that was trying to help me... he even used to listen to gospel music in front of me and I would laugh at him for it, thinking he was so weird for listening to Christian music :doh:

So he was my sponsor for like 4 years and he was like my best friend. But when I was 23 I found God and he was happy about that because he was a Christian too, but I made it clear to him that I thought homosexuality was a sin... and that really, really bothered him because he didn't want to give up homosexuality and he knew I was serious. He even went to a church in a gay area where they all loved God and praised God, but they were FIRM that homosexuality was NOT a sin and that they were fine to be homosexual.... and I didn't agree with that, but I wasn't rude about it, I only mentioned it to a few people respectfully. I even went with him to this church a few times just to check it out, and it wasn't all homosexuals but the majority were.

So fast-forward to today, 5ish years later. I stopped hanging out with him shortly after I found God and started pursuing my new Christian path without him. I haven't seen him in like 3 years now and I just started a facebook account where I have only Christian friends... he is the only person I have friend requested that I have ''question'' about whether he is a Christian or not and as soon as he accepted my friend request, a VERY uneasy feeling came into my spirit... my peace and joy immediately left and was replaced with fear and anxiety. Now I regret friend requesting him and I don't want to hurt his feelings by un-friending him. I don't know what to do. He always had a ''guilty conscience'' for his homosexuality around me towards the end and that fear and discomfort from him seems to rub off on me, and now i feel like i just opened up a very bad ''connection.''

I looked up to him for 4 years and he helped me with so much... we had a really good friendship but he was so wrapped up in homosexuality that I would be very surprised if he has come out of that lifestyle. He was living with his ''boyfriend'' last time i saw him. I know he has struggled with so much in his life and I still care about him as a friend but I feel like right now, as my soul and heart are healing through Christ, i don't need to be talking to someone that endorses sin like that... i am no longer a drug-user, i am focused only on God to heal my heart and my soul now.

What would you guys do? I feel really bad, his facebook page says ''I am loved by the Father'' on his title but based on his pictures, it looks like he is going to gay pride festivals and stuff like that... I don't know why i lost my peace and joy like that, it is really disturbing me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

He's a Human Being.

We all have sins.

Just some are more obvious, some are less. It doesn't mean our sins are better than other people's.

Do we want other people ostracize us because of our sins? Should we do that towards other sinners? Jesus was always condemned for spending His time with the sinners of His times. Are we better than Jesus???

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea, I definitely DON'T want to make him feel even worse. I feel I am not strong enough to be able to minister to him in love and truth yet but i WANT to... it was the opposite for a long time with HIM ministering to ME, so it's a strange situation, especially with him being 15 years older than me. I know he is convicted, especially after a super close friend of his becomes a Christian and plainly lets him know he doesn't accept homosexuality. I don't want to argue with him, I'm just going to unfriend him for now and see if i can help him in the future when I am stronger spiritually

I don't think unfriending him is necessarily the way to go either, because it makes a clear statement of social rejection. Aside from that, one's friends influence the way they think, even at an unconscious level. Often times people change their perspectives without realizing to fit it more with their friends. I'm not saying to try and use social pressure, but maintaining that relationship may be vital to his recovery, as the Spirit might use you as a catalyst at a key moment.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] such does not exist: we are to set our affections on things above, not on things on the earth, and also we are commanded by the Lord Jesus to any that would follow Him that we must deny our own will: Why? because of this exact type of reason, to keep ourselves away from willful and deliberate sin. We can only pray for such that (for now) refuse to repent and deny themselves, that God would give them repentance to the acknowledging of the Truth, that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no such thing as an adulterer Christian, nor a lying Christian, nor a blaspheming Christian, nor thieving Christian. When one follows Jesus Christ, you no longer live in habitual sin and identify yourself with that sin. Likewise, there is no such thing as a homosexual Christian. If you continue to celebrate and habitually practice sin, you are simply not walking in the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. That does not mean that a Christian never sins, but they hate that they sin, they repent of it, and they do not make a lifelong practice of sin. God has defined homosexuality to be sin.

If you continue in your relationship with this friend, it is right to lovingly and graciously tell him the truth of God, that if he continues in a habitual, lifelong practice of sin (including the sin of homosexuality), then the Bible grants him no assurance of eternal life in Jesus Christ, but rather the wrath of God abides on him and his willing rebellion to God.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There has been great advice given. Exodus International was a ministry that encouraged homosexuals out of their lifestyle but caused a great scandal several years ago when ex-homosexual Exodus International president Alan Chambers recanted the ministry mission by saying that homosexuals are born homosexual since he fell back into the lifestyle himself. The demonic foothold on homosexuals is strong. You are wise to politely ignore your friend while making your reason clear to him that you regard homosexuality as a destructive lifestyle.

• Agree
Reactions: tryintogrow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Celibacy is permissible in Christianity. Promiscuity and homosexuality are not permissible.

Jesus, John the Baptist and Jeremiah were single. According to Paul most of the apostles were married. Paul and at least some of his disciples were single. 1 Corinthians 9:5 Have we no right to take along a wife who is a believer, even as the rest of the apostles, and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas (Peter)?

Jesus ate and drank with sinners and tax collectors. He was able to teach them about the kingdom of heaven. Jesus trained his disciples at a higher level than the crowds to whom he spoke in parables.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You are right on the money. I just read this article-

8 Signs You May Have The Spiritual Gift of Discernment

and everything it says is absolutely what I have experienced in the past and present. I've had this discernment my whole life, I would ALWAYS see things that people never saw in people, places, and things and it always made me feel misunderstood, lonely, and frustrated... like the article says, it's a natural gift/talent that people have that God redeems and uses for His purpose when someone gets saved. The 8th sign says ''You may have the gift confirmed through a prophecy given to you'' which is what you just did. The NEW AGE movement, which i used to be involved with, told me I was an ''EMPATH,'' which is the perversion of discernment, but there is some truth to what an ''empath'' is... the New Age/occultism says that empaths have an extraordinary ability to feel other peoples emotions and have to keep a ''distance'' from others so that they don't get emotionally overwhelmed by absorbing everyones ''energy.'' I'm sorry if I'm rambling, this is just really exciting and fascinating to me

Thank you for letting me know I have this, I might not of ever figured it out otherwise.

Wow, this post is for me! I thought the same exact thing! I was an empath, or have intuition. Its a perversion of discernment. It takes away the Holy Spirit and makes it look like you have the power. Wow. wow.Humbling myself Lord.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My advice on this matter will come from the old. In the old, when enemies of Israel would gather themselves together to go up against Israel, King David would ask The Lord, "Should I go out against them or should I stay? The outcome always was dependent on His answer. If The Lord said" go out" then victory was assured, for He takes care of the rest. In this case you have a choice to listen to counslors on this matter, or seek The Lord as King David did. Only He knows where you are on your walk, and if He says "reconnect" than He will take care of the rest. There is a season for all things under the sun.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watch far too many Christians use this as an excuse to prefer the company of wicked people.
If God were to tell you to go out into the world and preach the gospel, will you tell him "No I cant be seen around those wick people" ????

When you were in your "sin" Should people have shunned you and not allowed you entrance into their church because they did want to sit with a wicked person?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why does this have to be an argument? Why must you assume the worst about my viewpoint?

If I don't want to be Facebook friends with toxic people, that means I refuse to preach the gospel? Is that what you're here to say? If I don't want to deal with drama and shenanigans in my personal, private home life, that means I'm banishing sinners from church?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why does this have to be an argument? Why must you assume the worst about my viewpoint?

If I don't want to be Facebook friends with toxic people, that means I refuse to preach the gospel? Is that what you're here to say? If I don't want to deal with drama and shenanigans in my personal, private home life, that means I'm banishing sinners from church?
Was Matthew there? I don't think we should seek out their companionship, but we will sooner or later cross their paths. And being kind and respectful to them at that time is certainly an appropriate thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

no arguments. please carry on.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no such thing as an adulterer Christian, nor a lying Christian, nor a blaspheming Christian, nor thieving Christian. When one follows Jesus Christ, you no longer live in habitual sin and identify yourself with that sin. Likewise, there is no such thing as a homosexual Christian. If you continue to celebrate and habitually practice sin, you are simply not walking in the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. That does not mean that a Christian never sins, but they hate that they sin, they repent of it, and they do not make a lifelong practice of sin. God has defined homosexuality to be sin.

If you continue in your relationship with this friend, it is right to lovingly and graciously tell him the truth of God, that if he continues in a habitual, lifelong practice of sin (including the sin of homosexuality), then the Bible grants him no assurance of eternal life in Jesus Christ, but rather the wrath of God abides on him and his willing rebellion to God.

Totally agree. The whole problem is that we put labels of ourselves and attach it to be a follower of christ. I had that struggle as someone who use to identify with being bisexual. But then i didnt want to leave God. So i thought ok, bisexual Christian I'm sure they are out there right? But when i put me "bisexual" or "black" or even going as far as putting " Pentecostal" or "Baptist" next to a term that supposes to mean denying myself and picking up the cross and following Jesus (Luke 9:23), I'm contradicting the message, I contradict what God wants for me, and I ended up seeing that I was trying to equate flesh with spirit.

We surround God with so much political correctness that we become numb whenever God's law contradicts us. And its so hard to see it. The world does it so well to confuse it, SO well packaged, and make you feel like there's safety in those labels, makes you say "finally a world I want to see".We remove God, or we try to incorporate Him in some way that makes the most sense to us, and become our own gods.We don't say it because it makes us sound bad, but ironically we are bad! We are born in sin!His ways are not our ways, His thoughts not our thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9) Only when I was able to deny myself, fully whether it seemed right or wrong, was I able to break free from those labels.

I pray that we all break away from the labels that are not of God, even the seemingly harmless ones. And fully be honest, is having this label denying myself? Am i killing my flesh daily? What profit to have this label, that desire, my wants, who i think i should be in my short life, if i lose God?

I still struggle, because Im still in this world and of my sinful nature, but to see that and then go back to labeling my life how i want to, how can I? I can't.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Putting a label, meant to tell people your bedroom preferences, in front of your religious denomination is just as pointless as a label to specify the clothes you wear... There is just no reason for it.

I'm a short-sleeve shirt wearing Christian. Why try to create more separation than there already is?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0