Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This list is for todays avid postmodernist, deconstructist, anarchist, nietzschean, and general fans of the odd and curious. In short, the books I am going to recommend are for (as the title suggests), today's armchair nihilist.;)

Just to get the definition out of way, here is how nihilism is being referred to for the purpose of this book list.

"Nihilism (from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical position that argues that existence is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Nihilists generally assert that objective morality does not exist, so subsequently there is no objective moral value with which to logically prefer one action over another. Nihilists who argue that there is no objective morality may claim that existence has no intrinsic higher meaning or goal. They may also claim that there is no reasonable proof or argument for the existence of a higher ruler or creator, or posit that even if higher rulers or creators exist, humanity has no moral obligation to worship them."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

^Now, that may sound depressing, but need not be as some of the tales below will show. Just to warn you know however, there may be some plot spoilers, and this isn't a comprehensive list of nihilistly themed texts.

Daybreak: Reflections on Moral Prejudices (Philosophy), by Fredrich Nietzsche

"Whoever has overthrown an existing law of custom has always first been accounted a bad man: but when, as did happen, the law could not afterwards be reinstated and this fact was accepted, the predicate gradually changed; history treats almost exclusively of these bad men who subsequently became good men!" Daybreak.

A little thought behind why social conventions don't make sense, and should be destroyed will be our starting point. This fun book deals with dismantling (relatively) contemporary christian-western morality. Although some of Nietzsche's later works contain much more precise, and elaborate arguements that shatters the societal myths of nationalism, morality, ideology, and organized religion, I personally think this book is much more digestable as many of the arguements are only about a paragraph in length.

To be honest, Nietzsche's philosophy is not nihilism per-say, but his method does involve a trek through nihilism (as mentioned in Twilight of the Idols, and Thus Spoke Zarathustra), meaning he actively destroys traditional concepts mentioned above, as well as other popular ones such as love, charity, and equality.

A word of warning however. Nietzsche employs a "balls-to-wall" style of arguementation which is both very confrontational, and extremly blunt. He can be very offensive to some, as to use an anachronism, he's basically a german speaking Doctor House.

The Trial (Novel), By Franz Kafka

"The right understanding of any matter and a misunderstanding of the same matter do not wholly exclude each other." -Kafka

1984 (Novel), George Orwell

We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Dirty Hands (Play), Jean-Paul Sartre

A Clockwork Orange (Novel), by Anthony Burgess

Accidental Death of an Anarchist (Play), by Dario Fo

A Scanner Darkly (Novel), by Philip K. Dick

Most stories (Short stories/novel), by H.P Lovecraft

Teatro Grottesco (collection of short stories), by Thomas Ligotti

Watchmen (Graphic Novel), by Alan Moore

Fight Club (Novel), by Chuck Palahniuk

Incest (Novel), by Marquis De Sade

>>>>Will finish tomorrow.

Last edited:

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isambard: you can't be a true, modernday, self-respecting nihillist if you haven't read "BLOOD MERIDIAN, or THE EVENING REDNESS IN THE WEST" by Cormac McCarthy. i recommend you go find it today.

Cormac Mccarthy is the author of "no country for old men" which i am sure you've heard of if you pay any attention to movies at all, as well as the author of "the Road" the movie which will come out in feburary.

"blood meridian" is the story of a group of scalp-hunters in 1850 northern mexico. it is probably the bloodiest and most violent novel ever written, with many a nihllistic philisophical aside along the way. if you do get it and read it (soon), i hope you'll come back here and share your thoughts with me...

Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Isambard: you can't be a true, modernday, self-respecting nihillist if you haven't read "BLOOD MERIDIAN, or THE EVENING REDNESS IN THE WEST" by Cormac McCarthy. i recommend you go find it today.

Cormac Mccarthy is the author of "no country for old men" which i am sure you've heard of if you pay any attention to movies at all, as well as the author of "the Road" the movie which will come out in feburary.

"blood meridian" is the story of a group of scalp-hunters in 1850 northern mexico. it is probably the bloodiest and most violent novel ever written, with many a nihllistic philisophical aside along the way. if you do get it and read it (soon), i hope you'll come back here and share your thoughts with me...

I read the Road and it I found it meh. I mean, it wasnt bad, and some select discriptions were excellent, the ending killed it for me though. It felt too much like McCarthy just got bored and boom, deus ex machina!

I gave em another chance and recently finished No Country for Old Men, which was excellent imo. Thanks for the recommendations, when I get a bit of time, Ill defineatly pick it up.....and finish this review list..lol:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NCFOM is cormac's most atypical novel. his other novels don't exactly fall in to the thriller category like that one does. if you read Blood Meridian, i don't think you will find it "meh". you might not like it much, but there's nothing weak about it.

"Suttree" is also a very great novel by mccarthy, alot of readers prefer it to BM.

Upvote 0

coastalwanderer

Per Mare Per Ecclesiam
Jan 18, 2009
Christminster
✟10,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The Devils" (also translated as "The Possessed") by Dostoyevsky, although profoundly Christian, does portray nilihist circles very well (even if, in accordance with some of the man's prejudices, these nililist terrorists are portrayed as agents of the Vatican).
power- to uphold

Actually I can think of a few Russian novels (from the early 20th century, up to the 1930s, as well as the 19th) that might fit in here. I'll try to give the matter further thought.

Upvote 0

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i've wanted to read "the possessed" for a long time, but i want to read crime and punishment first. i started C&P once awhile back and was getting into, but something came up and i couldn't finish it.

i've been told more than once that "karamazov" the greatest "Christian novel" ever written.

speaking of russian novels, is "dr. zhivago" a good read?

Upvote 0

coastalwanderer

Per Mare Per Ecclesiam
Jan 18, 2009
Christminster
✟10,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i've wanted to read "the possessed" for a long time, but i want to read crime and punishment first. i started C&P once awhile back and was getting into, but something came up and i couldn't finish it.

i've been told more than once that "karamazov" the greatest "Christian novel" ever written.

speaking of russian novels, is "dr. zhivago" a good read?

Can't argue at all with that description of the Brothers K. Perfect lenten reading, in fact.

(Though as it develops themes and ideas and indeed archetypes of characters previously found in C&P, I think it's worth reading that one first - there is a definite connection between the two titles)

In some ways I find the Devils/Possessed more compelling, somehow, in its portrait of the intellectual workings of obsessive nihilists/anarchists. "The Idiot", left me slightly cold, somehow - not sure why. And I've still not got round to reading his fourth (of five) big novel, which is variously translated as "A Raw Youth", "Adolescent" or "An Accidental Family" (it wasn't critically well recieved, and has tended to be rather neglected by scholars - but a copy is sitting on my bookshelves awaiting my attention...about 7 years after I started it..)

Dr Zhivago a good read? Not sure. I found it slightly disappointing - I almost preferred the poems at the end of the book (Attributed to Dr Zhivago) to the novel itslef.

Coastalwanderer, you are into heavy-duty literature, have you read "2666"? if so, what say you?

Well, yes, a degree with a focus on Russian literature (plus French mediaeval and Catholic works) skips over a lot of lightweight texts :)!
I've not read "2666": what I've read about it makes it sound...slightly....interesting....but it (and other works by the same author) is something I intend to look into further in due course

Upvote 0

coastalwanderer

Per Mare Per Ecclesiam
Jan 18, 2009
Christminster
✟10,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, and I have to mention a seminal cult text written in 1960s Russia, passed around in Samizdat for the best part of 20 years until finally being published (entirely inappropriately!) in an official academic journal called "Sobriety and Culture" during Gorbachev's anti-alcohol campaigns, "Moskva-Petushki" by Venedikt Yerofeyev (various spellings of his surname: the superior English translation, which is now very hard to track down, is called "Moscow Stations", but other translations are "Moscow Circles" and "Moscow to the End of the Line".

It's an easy read, fairly short (in the form of a diary written on a train from Moscow that is intended to reach the cathedral city of Petushki about 100 miles outside Moscow), very witty (in a laughter through tears sort of way). The author was that very rare thing, a Russian (who grew up north of the Arctic Circle, had never seen a cow till he was 20, was expelled from university for comparing the seargant in the compulsory military drill to Goebbels...) convert to Catholicism, and the (to simplify wildly) theme of the book (which styles itself as an "Epic") murder of the Christian man by the Soviet state and ideology.

I know no book like it. It's breathtaking. It's staged a few times a year (in Russian - which is fine for me) at the Russian drama theatre in Riga, Latvia, and I do intend to finally fly out there (I live near London England) specifically to see the theatrical adaptation.

It is a thing of rare beauty.

Is it on topic to this thread? Perhaps it is. Certainly by the time of Brezhnev any residual faith in the higher ideals of communism that might have motivated early supporters of the Soviet state (less murderous ones than their more powerful allies I suppose) had more or less degenerated into faith (or feigned faith) into formulations of words and half-digested and false ideas - not really a million miles from nihilism at all.

Anyway I love that book with a passion, and while in a way I wish it were better known (not least so I could buy another copy of the decent translation - finding the Russian copy is all but impossible in my experience of bookshops in Russian-speaking cities too - two copies having been "borrowed" long-term by an ex-colleague and my brother, who lives in another country) - it's quite nice to have such a precious and valued secret too

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Truer words have rarely been spoken...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i messed up, about 4-5 yrs ago. i'm now beginning to write fiction again, after a long lay-off and the novel i'm writing is a "police procedural". 4 or 5 years ago, my daughter gave me a copy of crime and punishment. i started reading it and was digging it just fine, but something came up and i got distracted and never finished it.

now, writing Chrisitan fiction, i really wish i had that book in my subconscious. yes i can read it now, but it's not as good as having mulled it over for several years.

Upvote 0

Mr. Ripley

The New Fad Outrage
Mar 13, 2010
✟8,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Myth of Sisyphus
The Fall
Nausea
The Stranger
Exile and the Kingdom
Hunger
Notes from Underground
The Sound and the Fury
Demons
The Age of Reason
The Rebel
Journey to the End of the Night
Mysteries
The Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
The Death of Ivan Ilych
Kafka Complete Works
Goethe
The Flowers of Evil

ETA: Forgot a few.

The Plague
The Book of Disquiet
The Idiot
Rimbaud Complete Works
No Exit and Three Other Plays (explains the expression hell is other people).

Last edited:
Upvote 0