• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Recommended Lutheran Books for Christmas Gifts.

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by GracetotheHumble, Sep 24, 2015.

1. GracetotheHumble

GracetotheHumble Theology of the Cross

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    You are entitled to your opinion the same as we are. You must realize though that ELCA members don't recognize the authority of the Word and this affects every belief they have from homosexuality and abortion to female clergy. Thank you but I think we will kindly pass and not read their authors.

2. SinnerInTheHands

SinnerInTheHands Troubled Christian

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Authors who wrote books before the major liberalizations of the ELCA in the 90s, of course. You forget that to many other Lutherans [WELS and the ELS included] you don't recognize the authority of the Word or of the Confessions. As of recent they have considered you to be "Lutheran", though still prone to liberalization.

3. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    That's great and all. But this is my thread and I'm looking for books for Christmas gifts preferably written by LCMS authors or possibly other confessional Lutherans. So please let's stay focused on the objective.

4. SinnerInTheHands

SinnerInTheHands Troubled Christian

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    And after offering you the official LCMS list of books for Confessional Lutherans to read, you decline and accuse me of leaving the topic.

5. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    Don't get me wrong I'm thankful for the list I'm just not sure that every book on it is for me. I'll have to do more research on some of them but I know for sure I am going to decline the book by Paulson. Thank you and God bless you in your decision on seminary.

6. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    I'm still looking for book suggestions although I am getting a pretty good list going.

7. Rjhlutheran

Rjhlutheran Newbie

+1
    Lutheran
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
  8. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
  9. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    Just Words by J. A. O. Preus, III (available through CPH)

Just and Sinner publications has been republishing some older Lutheran texts:

An Introduction to Dogmatic Theology Revere Franklin Weidner

A Summary of the Christian Faith Henry Eyster Jacobs

Several others are available, and some written by Jordan Cooper, author of Just and Sinner Publications (i.e. The Great Divide).

Again, I would say that Paulsen is not worth reading, and Forde is a mixed bag.

10. The Conductor

The Conductor Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι

+37
    Christian
    Single
    Indeed. These were people who said that Jesus actually committed sin. I don't want to presume to sit in judgement over their souls, but there are much better books out there to be reading. The Hammer of God is pretty good. Giertz also wrote another, much less-known fiction book: The Knights of Rhodes. I would also recommend Grace Upon Grace by John Kleinig, and Starck's Prayer Book. (If there was any Pietism there, Dr. Pieper removed it for the edition that CPH publishes.)

11. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single

I added Grace Upon Grace to the list of books I am going to order.

12. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    I suspected as much and omitted his writings from my wish list, thank you for the confirmation.

13. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    Thank you for all of the book ideas, I have quite a long list that should keep me busy for awhile. I still would appreciate any further suggestions you may have.

14. ContraMundum

ContraMundum Messianic Jewish Christian Supporter

+2,821
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    We have the same books.

The Hammer of God has also been made into a short film (and my friend is in it!). A bit amateur (like most Christian films) but still good and the LCMS folks even made a study guide for it. Might be worth a look.

15. ContraMundum

+2,821
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    You need to go to Mark V publications. Luther's Family Devotions is from them.

16. ContraMundum

+2,821
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Giertz's best other work is Christ's Church: her biblical roots, her dramatic history, her saving presence, her glorious future.

However, if the inquirer is terrified of ELCA authors, he should run a mile from Giertz! He's was a teacher in the Swedish Church, which by the OP'ers definition would mean he is neither Lutheran nor Christian.

I finished that book earlier this year. To be honest I didn't really think it a very practical or helpful book. It teaches the kind of extremely passive sanctification that J Kleinig is into and sort of leaves you thinking "well, that was interesting..now what?"

Pieper edited it? I didn't know that. I'll have to track down the original now.

17. KEPLER

KEPLER Crux sola est nostra theologia

+214
    Lutheran
    Married
    If you have the inclination to go hunting for used/antiquarian titles, I highly recommend C.P. Krauth's The Conservative Reformation and its Theology.

K

18. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    I just wanted to give an update. I ended up buying my parents 3 books for Christmas. They were: Grace Upon Grace, The Genius of Luther's Theology, and Martin Luther 365 Daily Readings. I am going to keep this list for future gifts though. I also added some of your suggestions to my wish list on amazon.com. Thank you to everyone for your input!

19. blackhead

blackhead Theologia Crucis

+118
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I am interested in this thread as the holidays are approaching.

20. Tigger45

Tigger45 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,750
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Welcome to the Lutheran corner of the forum :wave: