• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Recommended Lutheran Books for Christmas Gifts.

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by GracetotheHumble, Sep 24, 2015.

1. GracetotheHumble

GracetotheHumble Theology of the Cross

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    I am looking for some recommendations for some Lutheran books to give to my Mother and Father for Christmas. We are LCMS so please keep this in mind when posting.

Books they already have:

Spirituality of the Cross
    Lutheranism 101
    Walther's Law and Gospel
    Book of Concord
    Lutheran Study Bible

Books I am considering buying:

Big Book of New Testament Questions and Answers
    The Hammer of God
    Day by Day: 365 Devotional Readings with Martin Luther

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
  3. SinnerInTheHands

SinnerInTheHands Troubled Christian

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    On Being a Theologian of the Cross. Even though it was written by an ELCA Pastor, it's standard reading at both LCMS Sems and is a real gem of easy to read Lutheran theology.

4. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
  5. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    My Dad would not appreciate me buying him anything by an ELCA pastor so I'll have to pass.

6. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Even if it's got the stamp of approval from like half of the LCMS presidents, as well as those in WELS?

7. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    Yes, I think it would be better if I avoided it.

8. Obedientiarius

Obedientiarius AKA Dunstan

+9
    Lutheran
    Married
    Starck's Prayer Book
    Luther's Family Devotions
    Laache's Book of Family Prayers

9. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    Starck's Prayer Book looks good, I was able to find it on cph.org. As for the other two, I have been having trouble locating information on them.

10. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Laache's book is phenomenal.

11. Obedientiarius

+9
    Lutheran
    Married
  12. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
  13. Obedientiarius

+9
    Lutheran
    Married
    Laache is, I'm fairly certain, from a Norwegian background and remains popular among the faithful of the ELS. Luther's Family Devotions, I believe, was compiled in the 19th century by what is now LCMS folk (sorry, my history of the LCMS is shaky) and is keyed to the earlier LCMS hymnals, The Lutheran Hymnal and Lutheran Worship. This book predates the release of LSB.

14. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Laache was the Bishop of Trondheim [Norway] in the mid-to-late 1800s. Family Prayer used to be the standard devotional work not only within the ELS, but also among nearly all Norwegian American Lutherans and recent immigrants up until fairly recently. Now it's hard to get a copy of, but the ELS publishes a newer translation.

If you want pure LCMS theology, why not simply spring for a copy of Pieper's Christian Dogmatics?

15. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
  16. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
  17. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    After further investigation I realized that not all of those books on your list are by LCMS authors. So I am going to have to do more research before I decide what to buy off that list.

18. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    It's not my list . . . it's the official list of the LCMS. If the book's not by an LCMS author, but the Synod forces all training to be an official LCMS pastor to read it, you can bet it's a strong confessional work.

Unless your father is WELS, I don't see what the problem is.

19. GracetotheHumble

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    Paulson is an ELCA Pastor. My father does not consider the ELCA to be Christians and neither do I. We're not interested in reading their authors. That is my choice and since I started the thread I would appreciate it if you would honor my decision.

20. SinnerInTheHands

+331
    Presbyterian
    Single
    As a technically rostered member of a congregation of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod [though I do not currently attend a LCMS church], and as one who is still wrestling in his walk with Lutheranism and heavily contemplating attending Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, I can honestly say that in all of my life I have never met anyone even remotely close to arguing what you are now.

Are the ELCA Lutherans? Most certainly not. Are they Christians? Yes indeed, though they may be misinformed.