Newton Abbot
✟8,407.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At the grand old age of 77, I have just been asked by my Minister to join the preaching team in our Church, I have never preached before, therefore can you suggest a simple Commentay Series that would be of help.
Something written in understandable and simple straight forward english please, I am no theologian type of person.
Thanks.

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
At the grand old age of 77, I have just been asked by my Minister to join the preaching team in our Church, I have never preached before, therefore can you suggest a simple Commentay Series that would be of help.
Something written in understandable and simple straight forward english please, I am no theologian type of person.
Thanks.
I would recommend checking out the Baptist preacher Charles Spurgeon (his sermons). I would also recommend John MacArthur's commentary, which is one of my favorites. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks.
Your pastor sees something in you that has led him to ask you to help preach. I suggest that you ask him for recommendations about what he thinks the topic should be, etc. Usually, pastors have a plan about what areas they want to touch on through the calendar year. It's ok to enlist his aid and I think he would be glad to help you.

The other two ministers here, Chaplain Patrick and Chaplain Steve, have preached extensively in the past while I have mostly been a hospital chaplain and counselor which is work I was called for.

Our two chaplains would be glad to recommend things to you and I will give them a heads up about your thread in the Chaplain's Coffee Shop. Thank you for posting and God bless you with this new challenge of preaching and teaching.

Faithfully,

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings, I'd be glad to make recommendations as well as pray for you. Good preaching begins with a solid understanding of the passage you are communicating. This involves personal study text to make sure you are communicating Biblical truth. Here is a site that has lots of good tools to help you: Read and Study the Bible Online - Search, Find Verses

A Bible dictionary can help better understand Biblical terms, etc. Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology

Here are some online commentaries that are worth exploring: Bible Commentary – Free Online Bible Commentaries

I think these are a good start. Your thoughts?

Grace and Peace
Chaplain Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Devonboy

Jun 18, 2017
Newton Abbot
✟8,407.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your pastor sees something in you that has led him to ask you to help preach. I suggest that you ask him for recommendations about what he thinks the topic should be, etc. Usually, pastors have a plan about what areas they want to touch on through the calendar year. It's ok to enlist his aid and I think he would be glad to help you.

The other two ministers here, Chaplain Patrick and Chaplain Steve, have preached extensively in the past while I have mostly been a hospital chaplain and counselor which is work I was called for.

Our two chaplains would be glad to recommend things to you and I will give them a heads up about your thread in the Chaplain's Coffee Shop. Thank you for posting and God bless you with this new challenge of preaching and teaching.

Faithfully,

Thanks for reply, and yes we do have a plan in place so that when the time comes I will be told which passage he would like me to preach on.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
devonboy,

I will be praying for you.

Persons are called to corporate worship to hear the word of God, not to sit in judgment of what they are hearing. You are proclaiming the word of God to those that have been given ears to hear. A key principle that I never forget related to preaching: When there is mist in the pulpit there is fog in the pew.

Accordingly, the resources here are recommended:
https://www.christianforums.com/thr...to-interpret-the-bible.7998770/#post-71055093

Pastoral Theology and Expository Preaching | A Puritan's Mind

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would recommend checking out the Baptist preacher Charles Spurgeon (his sermons). I would also recommend John MacArthur's commentary, which is one of my favorites. Best of luck!
Spurgeon is really heart warming! MacArthur is good, too!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: I'm sure some of the themes you have been commenting on, on other threads, are discussed by preachers such as Spurgeon and MacArthur. There are Online archives which sometimes can be a guide to such writings.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or, you could start by telling your story and how you came to know the Lord. People love a good story and sometimes that hits home more so than preaching Bible scripture. Just an idea for the first time out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg Logan

Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
✟50,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The problem with a LOT of commentaries - certain Spurgeon and MacArthur (and about anything Reformed or otherwise) - is that they blab on and on with a lot of "religious talk" but not much useful exegesis. Learning how to do exegesis on your own - using the WHOLE counsel of God - that is the real trick. Ask God for help..

I did like the Chaplain's suggestion re asking the Pastor who saw the potential you had to build up the congregation.

Good luck!

Upvote 0