Recommendations for cheap wifi data companies.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I need to move on from dial up. It all looks too expensive for me. I thought when they are funding for the kids they would come up with more special plans for everyone but so far nothing has changed.

Cox is offering 6gigs for 29 a month but I haven't checked into the hidden clauses.
Any suggestions would be appreciated:)
Thanks

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I need to move on from dial up. It all looks too expensive for me. I thought when they are funding for the kids they would come up with more special plans for everyone but so far nothing has changed.

Cox is offering 6gigs for 29 a month but I haven't checked into the hidden clauses.
Thanks
How much is your budget as I got on Cox @ $40 a month for 1.2Tb @ 50mbps speed

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
That sounds really good, how'd you do that? Is that a package deal I haven't seen it advertised.
Go to Cox website and see what deals they have I don't know what city you are in so I can't know if the deal is network wide or city only. You have to sign up for a year to get the price and my TV shows about 20-25mbps and just tested it at about 34mbps so you may not get 50mbps but if you are used to dialup it will be screaming fast. Unless you have cable already you may have to pay for the install I had to pay $75 as I didn't have cable and they gave me a free modem/wifi router that supports 2.4 and 5.0Ghz

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Cox your local cable service?
Our cable service [Spectrum/Charter] offers cable, telephone & internet. We only have their internet [30+ Mbps] at $18/mo. They have a wi-fi device that you can rent, but the typical practice is to buy your own wi-fi device, paying [$60 for mine] one time, from Walmart.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Our cable service [Spectrum/Charter] offers cable, telephone & internet. We only have their internet [30+ Mbps] at $18/mo. They have a wi-fi device that you can rent, but the typical practice is to buy your own wi-fi device, paying [$60 for mine] one time, from Walmart.
that sounds like a good deal but we don't have that cable company here it is either Cox or AT&T or some fly by night ones that aren't much cheaper that have bad ratings. I think in the future perhaps 5 years from now we will see 5G or 6G internet (cellular) providers but they may have too low of caps for home use, especially streaming smart TVs which can gobble up half a TB a month in a house perhaps.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks
I believe that there are some special programs out there if you have financial hardships, check with a google search.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
OH MY GOSH, I have never seen it that cheap. Yes, Cox is one of them offered. I imagine SC is not offered here but I will check. I have heard that buying a router rather than renting is a much better.
Thanks for the info:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe that there are some special programs out there if you have financial hardships, check with a google search.
I have several times but if you follow through to the end they don't go anywhere.
Thanks though for the input.
That reminds me I was on the phone when something came up about 30 days free so I applied and attempted many times over the next few days to use it but on the third day it said I had used my 30 days up and I would have to wait another 30 days to attempt again.
I have made so many different attempts only to have them end in a waste of time.
I did use century link but it was 70 a month so I dropped it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
OH MY GOSH, I have never seen it that cheap. Yes, Cox is one of them offered. I imagine SC is not offered here but I will check. I have heard that buying a router rather than renting is a much better.
Thanks for the info:)
Cox gave me one for free so ASK about modem/routers and installation as it is cheaper to get a free one than buy it just make sure you don't have to pay rent.Before I got Cox, AT&T gave me a free router also and isn't charging for rent of it either but YMMV on that effort. The rent on wifi/routers is $10-$15 a month so buying your own is a good investment however make sure you have someone that can help you set it up if you aren't a computer geek.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cox gave me one for free so ASK about modem/routers and installation as it is cheaper to get a free one than buy it just make sure you don't have to pay rent.Before I got Cox, AT&T gave me a free router also and isn't charging for rent of it either but YMMV on that effort. The rent on wifi/routers is $10-$15 a month so buying your own is a good investment however make sure you have someone that can help you set it up if you aren't a computer geek.
I got two flyers from Cox again today, same 29 dollar offer, lol.
You must have a magic touch, free? never here
I know how to set it up, easy peesy. The hard part is the router setup. Routers aren't cheap and I have bought a few used but without directions. You can't just plug them in and away they go. Not me anyway. Wires are easy to attach, otherwise. The routers provided by the companies that offer wifi are set up for that company and that makes it easy.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did they help you set up the router for their, SC, service?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I got two flyers from Cox again today, same 29 dollar offer, lol.
You must have a magic touch, free? never here
I know how to set it up, easy peesy. The hard part is the router setup. Routers aren't cheap and I have bought a few used but without directions. You can't just plug them in and away they go. Not me anyway. Wires are easy to attach, otherwise. The routers provided by the companies that offer wifi are set up for that company and that makes it easy.
Why didn't you just download a manual for the router online? Most router manuals can be downloaded to your computer in PDF format, I know I've downloaded several router manuals. I didn't get one with my Cox modem had to download it to change some settings on it.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did they help you set up the router for their, SC, service?
No. I bought the router and set it up myself. It came with a smartphone app to do so, but I set it up via my computer. SC does set up your modem, however.

They probably won't help you there. If you need help setting it up, you can buy yours from Best Buy, instead. Their Geek Squad can help you with set-up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why didn't you just download a manual for the router online? Most router manuals can be downloaded to your computer in PDF format, I know I've downloaded several router manuals. I didn't get one with my Cox modem had to download it to change some settings on it.
Good question

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I pay about $150 a month for everything (TV, 500 mb/s internet, Phone) from Spectrum which cannot really be beaten anywhere else here in the middle of nowhere if you need fast internet like I do. If you're just browsing the web 30-50 mb/s should do you. I think they charge around $20 a month for 50 mb/s internet.

If you do go with Spectrum they offer you a free modem so there's no point in buying your own when they give you a free warranty with that as well in case something happens to it. I used to own my own Modem back when they charged $5 a month to supply you with a modem and I paid less than $20 for my modem that was basically the same thing they were charging for. Had it for several years and saved several hundreds of dollars doing it. But, now they offer a free modem and only charge for a router. Routers you can get very inexpensively now too so don't rent one. My parents rent a router from Spectrum and they charge them $8 a month. They don't need a fast router like I do and I'm like "Mom, you can get a router for less than $30 a month that will do the same thing as what they're charging you for." but, she doesn't care lol. I was harping my mother to upgrade from 5 mb/s internet for years and years so trying to get her to save money is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Anyway, if you need some router (or modem) recommendations just ask.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you're just browsing the web 30-50 mb/s should do you.
Our 30mbps service supports browsing, streaming and two smart TVs just fine.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Our 30mbps service supports browsing, streaming and two smart TVs just fine.

Yup I said 30 mb/s should be fine for what he wants if he's just doing the minimum but I game, stream across many devices, and browse a lot. I just need at least a 100 mb/s connection. Gaming is the thing that requires the biggest internet signal when both my wife and I game and have pretty strong computers. I could get a 100 mb/s connection for $45 a month if I was a new Spectrum customer like my parents were but I'm not. I've been a customer of theirs since I moved away almost 10 years ago so I always get retail price. I think they charge me regular price $90 a month for 500 mb/s internet and $70 for 100 mb/s. If I went without internet for a year I could qualify for $45 and $65 for the internet I have but, I haven't been without internet since I was about 8 years old. Impossible, lol. Trying to get me to live without internet is like trying to get me to learn to not to breathe for a year lol.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have several times but if you follow through to the end they don't go anywhere.
Thanks though for the input.
That reminds me I was on the phone when something came up about 30 days free so I applied and attempted many times over the next few days to use it but on the third day it said I had used my 30 days up and I would have to wait another 30 days to attempt again.
I have made so many different attempts only to have them end in a waste of time.
I did use century link but it was 70 a month so I dropped it.
I did some research for someone who is disabled and receives food stamps and there were some special programs. Check this Lifeline Support for Affordable Communications

Upvote 0