Recommend some good Christian music please.

Rocker10

Oct 28, 2012
✟7,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Hello, to date I've not yet found a single modern Christian song or band that I like. But I really want something to listen to as I do not prefer listening to secular music. I'm mainly looking for Catholic or Christian if it's not against Catholicism, music. I do not like the sound of guitars too much, but I do like them when used sparingly. I especially hate any song where they are driven to distortion, so I do not like distorted loud rock music. I'm actually looking for nice music like Gorillaz's Feel Good Inc or Dare, which has nice bass and is fun yet artistic sounding. I also like some alternative music like Muse or Radiohead, but I tried listening to Starflyer 59 and Half-Handed-Cloud, but it's not the same, I like a couple Starflyer songs, but it's not exactly what I want. I want some music also that sounds futuristic and employs nice computer sounds and has a space-like feel to it. I'm not talking about electro dance or 70's synthpop sounding music, but rather songs like Karma Police, OK Computer or Muse's albums. I tried listening to suggested alternatives like Luxury, but that sounds just like over-the-top, loud rock to me. Not what I'm looking for. So is there any bassy, tuneful, futuristic, or artistic music out there?

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,220.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Try Fernando Ortega or Selah...they have some pretty toned down stuff. Fernando Ortega does not use very many instruments...I love him.

This is one of my favorites from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pZNULbJws

I find it important to remember that although taste is different to each person, the worship that comes from the heart is what matters. For the musicians that play heavier stuff I know they play it from their hearts and that is the way they worship. It took me a long time to go from listening to just classical stuff and quartets to listening to other worship music.

Upvote 0

Rocker10

Oct 28, 2012
✟7,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Does anyone know if Wovenhand is an authentically Christian band or not? I like some of their music.

Could anyone post more music like Woven hand, alternative, fusion style, indie, or even indie folk? Thanks.

Edit: or maybe not. their actually albums seem to be drastically different from the songs I heard on youtube. It seems to be filled with loud rock metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know if Wovenhand is an authentically Christian band or not? I like some of their music.

Could anyone post more music like Woven hand, alternative, fusion style, indie, or even indie folk? Thanks.

Edit: or maybe not. their actually albums seem to be drastically different from the songs I heard on youtube. It seems to be filled with loud rock metal.
I think it depends on what you consider a "Christian band."
Here is a link to an interview with David Edwards. He talks about his beliefs and approach to music.
Interview with Wovenhand - Chicago Music Blog | Chicago Music Blog

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"loud rock metal" would definitely not be a term I would use to describe Wovenhand.

Check out their self-titled album, Consider the Birds, Mosaic...

And if you like them, David Eugene Edwards's prior band, 16 Horsepower, is also pretty fabulous.

(edit: apparently their upcoming album is more in the hard rock vein. But mostly Woven Hand is good with the indie-ish, folkish, Nick-Cave-Is-Awesome kind of stuff.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ellwood3

Oct 23, 2013
God's magic forest
✟483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, to date I've not yet found a single modern Christian song or band that I like. But I really want something to listen to as I do not prefer listening to secular music. I'm mainly looking for Catholic or Christian if it's not against Catholicism, music.

Well, my first thought was Rich Mullins. Then I saw you're Catholic, so my second thought is Rich Mullins, too.

Mullins was not a Catholic, but his hero was St. Francis of Assisi. He began the group The Kid Brothers of St. Frank, and following Mullins's death, The Legacy of the Kid Brothers of St. Frank was set up.

As for songs, Creed might be something at least some Catholics would like. Like others.

Here is Mullin's video of the song it's about 5 minutes:
Rich Mullins Creed. - YouTube

Here is an acoustic version, with Mullins on the hammer dulcimer:
Rich Mullins & Mitch McVicker - Creed, live acoustic on The Exchange (April 11, 1997) - YouTube

Here's the entire Live from Studio B concert, put up by the Ragamuffin Archive:

Rich Mullins & A Ragamuffin Band - Live From Studio B, South Bend, Indiana, 1997 (Full Broadcast) - YouTube

This link goes to that Archive, with 176 videos, as of now:

Ragamuffin Archive - YouTube

People differ a lot on music. But if you'd like to hear the Apostle's Creed sometime set to music, that would be Rich Mullins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

djsciple

Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2014
✟22,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Rocker10!, in my opinion it becomes so much easier to find good Christian music when you can break down a genre you genuinely enjoy listening to. I, for example, know I enjoy trance, dubstep, dance and the occasional hip-hop. Then it becomes much easier to search on youtube or another related site for "Christian trance" for example. Try it! Better than the original method I used when searching years ago by going to wikipedia for christian dance artists and trying to FIND and then listen to all of each artists music.

Upvote 0