Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The problem is no one can perfectly "obey" in the sense that I assume you mean it to be...

Since the command is basically summed up in this "always do and be good", key word being "always", of which we all fall short...

I'd say always do your best in this (above), and be humble when you fall short, always talk to and with God about it, then "get up" and try, try, try again, and again... Trying to learn how to do and be better from the experience and improve every time...

And, Love always, for Love covers a multitude of sins and is the only true path that will be the only way for your trying to obey to succeed in the end...

Love is the only way to even possibly fulfill the law... Nothing else and no other method or path will work, of that I can guarantee you...

God Bless!
Well, yes and no to the idea we can't perfectly obey. Certainly I need the Lord's help to accomplish his will, and I haven't reached perfection. But by obeying the Lord's commandments we avoid a tremendous amount trouble. And the Lord does tell us we must be perfect "as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt 5:48 RSV)

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Some obedient Christians look to Ephesians 6:13-17 as if it were a recipe to avoid any suffering in their lives.

But in Ephesians 6:13-17 the armor doesn't necessarily assure physical protection. Instead, it's an assurance of spiritual protection and survival. That is, for Christians to be able to maintain their salvation they must remain in the truth (1 Timothy 4:16; 2 Timothy 4:2-4). And they must remain in righteousness (Hebrews 10:26-29; 1 Corinthians 9:27; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21). And they must remain in the Gospel of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Colossians 1:23, Mark 8:35-38). And they must remain in the faith of Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 2:12, Hebrews 6:4-8). And they must remain in the salvation which comes only through Jesus Christ (John 14:6, John 3:36, Acts 4:12). And they must remain in the Word of God, the Holy Bible (James 1:21; 2 Timothy 3:15-17).

But none of these things assures the physical protection of Christians. Indeed, they're the very reason Christian martyrs have been killed by non-Christians from the beginning of the Church down until today, and will be killed by non-Christians during the future Tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24 (Matthew 24:9-13, Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4). So Christians mustn't think the armor of God necessarily assures their physical protection.

Also, regarding "the gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15), this can include reference to how Christians are never to teach or use physical violence to assure their physical protection, or for any other reason (Matthew 5:39).
When our faith is perfect, we won't suffer. Nothing will bother us.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, yes and no to the idea we can't perfectly obey. Certainly I need the Lord's help to accomplish his will, and I haven't reached perfection. But by obeying the Lord's commandments we avoid a tremendous amount trouble. And the Lord does tell us we must be perfect "as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt 5:48 RSV)

It is not "us" that is "perfect". Jesus Christ our Savior, is perfect. When we are in Him, He grants us "His" strength. We have none of our "own". We can do "nothing" in our own strength. And that includes "following Him".

It is written.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." ~John 15:5

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
It is always in our best interests to be trying to improve ourselves. When the pain has been alleviated, it's time to get back to work. This is no grand revelation.

I would think that the number of AA meetings, detox centers and so on doesn't make this such a grand revelation to a fair portion of society.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 14:22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Peter 1:6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Corinthians 1:8 For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does[a] deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us, 11 you also helping together in prayer for us, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the gift granted to us through many.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is not "us" that is "perfect". Jesus Christ our Savior, is perfect. When we are in Him, He grants us "His" strength. We have none of our "own". We can do "nothing" in our own strength. And that includes "following Him".

It is written.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." ~John 15:5
Jesus commanded us to be perfect in Matthew 5:48. It's okay to discuss his words but I think it's wise not to refute them.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Was Jesus "bothered" in the Garden of Gethsemane and/or on the cross?
It will always hurt when people refuse to love us, but the Lord has created a life for us that is a paradise.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus commanded us to be perfect in Matthew 5:48. It's okay to discuss his words but I think it's wise not to refute them.

Just for the record, i do not nor did i refute Jesus the Christ's Words.

I'm asking for clarification on your post. The bottom line and question is, was Jesus stating that "we" are "perfect" and/or can achieve "perfection" on our own?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Was Jesus "bothered" in the Garden of Gethsemane and/or on the cross?
It will always hurt when people refuse to love us, but the Lord has created a life for us that is a paradise.

What has the above response got to do with what i posted?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Just for the record, i do not nor did i refute Jesus the Christ's Words.

I'm asking for clarification on your post. The bottom line and question is, was Jesus stating that "we" are "perfect" and/or can achieve "perfection" on our own?

Thank you kindly.
I'll answer your second question first. I'm not aware that Jesus said we can achieve PERFECTION on our own. As for the first question, I'm not aware that Jesus said ANY OF US is PERFECT.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What has the above response got to do with what i posted?

Thank you kindly.
I am not a patient person. When a post is long, I read a sentence or two and respond to that. Maybe that is what happened here.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Perfect" in Matt 5:48 is the word
τέλειος (teleios)

It has more the sense of being complete, brought to a level of maturity, rather than the way we tend to understand "being perfect" in English today.

And no, we don't do this on our own. By cooperating with the grace of God, we are changed to become more like Christ, in the end the completion is that we will mature into Him, being like Him, as we were created to be.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not a patient person. When a post is long, I read a sentence or two and respond to that. Maybe that is what happened here.

It wasn't a long post.

Nevertheless, i'll leave you to your thread.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
"Perfect" in Matt 5:48 is the word
τέλειος (teleios)

It has more the sense of being complete, brought to a level of maturity, rather than the way we tend to understand "being perfect" in English today.

And no, we don't do this on our own. By cooperating with the grace of God, we are changed to become more like Christ, in the end the completion is that we will mature into Him, being like Him, as we were created to be.
Perfect is perfect.

Upvote 0